Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• erica, your results are phenominal! how long did it take?
    My Primal Journey

"success is determined by
    how you handle setbacks" - lululemon

Weekly Weigh In :
    10/1/10 SW: 165.8

Comment

• Stevo, HOLY MOLY!!!
      5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
      Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
      Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
      Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
      ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• daaaaaamn, stevo
        beautiful
        yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
        lol

Comment

• Originally posted by tmac10 View Post
          erica, your results are phenominal! how long did it take?
          A little over a year
          My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
          My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Comment

• Originally posted by erica057 View Post
            OK, as requested, finally got a pic that shows my face AND my arms.

The before, for reference:

After:

Damn, this might be the first time that I'm turned on by a girl's arms, love your physique, great job! I wish more girls would strength train!
            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
              I wish more girls would strength train!
              Strong is the new skinny, spread the word http://practicalpaleolithic.com/pale...the-new-skinny
              My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Comment

• Erica - we still have not seen the complete pretty face. No hiding the smile behind the phone!

PS you look fantastic Erica.
                Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

Comment

• What Joe said!!

Comment

• WOW! Iniquity you are much more sexy than the thin girls who are on the magazine covers! Way to go...

Now, please get my wife in the gym so she can have arms like you. Last night we were talking about her post birth boobs which went from small (pre kids) to very big (post birth) to really small 2 years later. She brought it up and I mentioned that I like boobs, but I prefer to see strong/cut legs and arms more than boobs. She looked at me and asked "What is that supposed to mean?!" It wasn't a slight towards her, and I told her that I would much prefer to see my wife's strong arms and legs every day than I would to see big boobs once in a while! Then I told her that I thought strong arms and legs were much more sexy than private parts...

Comment

• Originally posted by kmacphee View Post
                      WOW! Iniquity you are much more sexy than the thin girls who are on the magazine covers! Way to go...

Now, please get my wife in the gym so she can have arms like you. Last night we were talking about her post birth boobs which went from small (pre kids) to very big (post birth) to really small 2 years later. She brought it up and I mentioned that I like boobs, but I prefer to see strong/cut legs and arms more than boobs. She looked at me and asked "What is that supposed to mean?!" It wasn't a slight towards her, and I told her that I would much prefer to see my wife's strong arms and legs every day than I would to see big boobs once in a while! Then I told her that I thought strong arms and legs were much more sexy than private parts...
                      You mean to congratulate Erica, I just quoted her post to tell her how sexy her arms are. I'm a dude!
                      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by erica057 View Post
                        After:

Um...can you be my personal trainer? Really, I'm not even kidding. You are PERFECTION.

BTW - what is your training like?
                        The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

Comment

• oops...thanks for the clearing up on that iniquity...I thought there was something weird about that and then my kids woke up so I couldn't look into it.

Comment

• Originally posted by SheGlowsPale View Post
                            Waiting patiently for the response...

Comment

• Originally posted by maddie427 View Post
                              Waiting patiently for the response...
                              Do some pushups while you're waiting.

I have to say that I am stoked by my own results (I dropped from 175 at the end of May to 150~155 now @ 5' 7"), but I still look like some of the before pics here. Admittedly, I have done absolutely no exercising, but seeing the way the last two dudes looked makes me want to get started. Of course, by tomorrow morning, I'll probably be right back where I am now.......on the couch. Dang it!

I wish I could figure out what my mental block is.
                              Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
                              Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
                              LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
                              HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
                              TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

• Originally posted by SheGlowsPale View Post
                                Um...can you be my personal trainer? Really, I'm not even kidding. You are PERFECTION.

Aw thanks!!

Well, I actively compete in women's boxing so I don't expect most people to replicate my training regimen For a while I was just focused on weight loss and primal was the only thing that got me truly lean while preserving muscle mass. However, once I reached my goal (featherweight/125lbs) I decided to focus more on building muscle so I got serious about weight lifting and started eating more cals; I attribute the muscles mostly to weight lifting and primal eating with extra cals + some extra carbs periworkout. Boxing helped me get "boulder shoulders" as my husband says but otherwise I think that strength training and eating enough is the key to putting on muscle. I have a seldom-updated fitness blog that I made a while back targeted mostly for female beginners: http://randomfit.blogspot.com (it's more of a running FAQ than a blog). I do heavy strength training, mostly barbells, full-body weights 2-3x/week. I do basic exercises like squat, deadlift, bench, military press, rows, Olympic lifts and assists, dips, pull-ups, and push-ups. Never more than 5 reps per set (except for bodyweight exercises or endurance training), where I am close to failure at the last rep. If you like to do a pre-set program, I like stuff like Starting Strength, Wendler's 5-3-1, or Stronglifts 5x5. If you don't have a trainer Starting Strength is the one I would recommend buying because he goes into great detail on lifting form. I do no isolation work, not even for arms (hey, I bet Grok didn't either, lol!). I'm not a huge fan of stuff like Crossfit or P90X that tries to do everything at once. Generally I box with my trainer and fight team 4x/week for 2-3 hours per session including jump rope, sparring, different kinds of punching bags, mitts, footwork drills, sprints, and so forth. 2x/week I strength train (I'd do 3 if I wasn't boxing so much) and I take a day off if I need it or otherwise do a long, enjoyable, slow run. I also run every day.

I also cannot possibly overemphasize the importance of eating enough if you want to build muscle. If you're eating primal you'll have no problem getting enough protein so you don't have to worry about that, just make such to get a small surplus of calories overall. Primal is great for minimizing fat gains while putting on muscle. Since it's so hard for us ladies to put on muscle I like to keep the gains fairly modest so PB works well. In other words, it's not like a female is going to put on a pound of muscle per week, so I don't want to gain a pound per week because a lot of that will inevitably be fat! For a man I might recommend getting more carbs for the anabolic effect but for a woman who is going to gain slowly no matter what I like PB for mitigating the weight gain. The difference is I get extra carbs before a workout (usually a bowl of oatmeal or a sweet potato). On boxing days I might drink some periworkout carbs like Gatorade to get me through the 3 hours, especially if I'm sparring. On weight training days I drink a protein/carb recovery shake or some chocolate milk immediately after lifting.

Hope that helped somewhat!
                                My primal success story

Comment

Working...
                                X