This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by primal_jessjane View Post
    I've come to discover that intermittent fasting (generally a 16 hour fast/8 hour feed) and doing very intense, heavy lifting sessions about three times a week (calisthenics, baby!) has given me a more stronger, lean physique without burning me out like HIIT did.

Batty, SPRINTING!!!! ;-) I've never really touched a barbell.
    primal_jessjane,

First, I'm inspired. You look healthy and very fit...with the diet to back it up long term! What a great way to start your 20's.

Second, I'm pretty new to working out (team sports took care of exercise when I was younger) as I'm kinda confused by two things you mentioned: heavy lifting AND never touching a barbell. How do you heavy lift...as in, what does that term mean? (feel free to answer like you're talking to a kindergartner! ) And what are calisthenics? *blush*

Thanks!!

Comment

• Originally posted by nocturnalmama View Post
      Saskatchewan believe it or not! This was taken in June (June!!) of last year - it was FREEZING!
      YAY Saskatchewan!

Comment

• I just spent 45 minutes reading this thread! Truly amazing progress from everyone who posted. I can't wait to post my own pics in a few months!
        Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
        Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
        Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

Comment

• looking great jess! You've got some powerhouse legs in that pic!
          I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meg-a-Tron View Post
            I still have about 15-20 lbs of fat to lose, but I thought I'd post my 4 month progress. /gulp
            Wow you have an amazing figure! Curvalicious!
            My primal adventures:
            http://foodfloraandfelines.blogspot.com/
            Cooking, nutrition, gardening, foraging, preserving, photography

Comment

• Chameleon, sorry for the confusion there... It's true I've never really done a barbell workout, which I mentioned because usually it's what people flock to when they want to work their legs. But it's not the only way! ;-) I think a lot of the "powerhouse" I've built in my legs is from plenty of sprinting and my love for bicycle riding!

I get into these *phases* with my training, and right now I am exclusively doing calisthenics (bodyweight exercises) only. 110 pounds is definitely something heavy! I think calisthenics are especially great for females, since you don't put on the same mass (or at least as quickly) as you would when lifting weights. I usually superset my calisthenic workouts to get a max burn and get my heart rate up a little bit. When completing one set of an exercise, I make sure that I at least have one or two reps "in the bank" so I can hit it hard the next round. Here might be an example, no rest between exercises:

5 Chin-Ups (back)
              15 Box Jumps (butt)
              5 Dips (chest)
              15 One-Legged Squats (thighs)
              15 Leg Lifts (core)
              Repeat 5x, rest 60sec between rounds

Essentially, each round is a "set". So, I am really doing 5 sets of 5 chins here, I'm just allowing myself plenty of rest time. This is great for focusing on strength gains rather than endurance. I might do this three times a week, but usually I get off my "usual" routine and will throw something new in. The important thing is to always work HARD and with CONSISTENCY! Does this help clarify?... :-)
              On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

• I figured I would go ahead and post a few of me. I don't have any with me from when I was about 50 lbs heavier. The first one is from May of this year. That's after a year of being Primal. The second one is from a few days ago. A little bit of a difference in 2 months. I'm happy with it. I've lost 50 lbs total in the past year.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by twoidhd View Post
                  Last summer...somewhere between 300 and 320 lbs. I didn't get on the scales much back then.

And this morning. 237 lbs.

Amazing progress. You can really see it in your face. 1 year and you've lost like 80lbs! Just fantastic.

Comment

• Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                    I figured I would go ahead and post a few of me. I don't have any with me from when I was about 50 lbs heavier. The first one is from May of this year. That's after a year of being Primal. The second one is from a few days ago. A little bit of a difference in 2 months. I'm happy with it. I've lost 50 lbs total in the past year.
                    That's a HUGE difference!! What did you change within those 2 months?? You when from being a fit guy to having a spartan physique.

Comment

• Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                      I figured I would go ahead and post a few of me. I don't have any with me from when I was about 50 lbs heavier. The first one is from May of this year. That's after a year of being Primal. The second one is from a few days ago. A little bit of a difference in 2 months. I'm happy with it. I've lost 50 lbs total in the past year.
                      XYZ you are *smokin* hot.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

• Before.

During:
                        Last edited by cheapo; 07-27-2010, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• Rock Solid, Cheapo. You look amazing.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

• Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                            XYZ you are *smokin* hot.
                            +1

Comment

• XYZ and Cheapo - dang! I see I need to get busy to catch up with you guys. Not that it is a competition, but at least I now have something to aspire to!
                              Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Comment

• XYZ, great results!!! Cheapo, you know you look good....I still cannot believe that is just from SimpleFit.....Really??? REALLY????
                                On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

Working...
                                X