Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you to everyone for sharing photos! It is really inspiring to a newbie coming into this. =)

Comment

• @Benson.

Try to remember that when your losing weight, it will come off in the reverse order it went on. Therefore.. you will notice changes firstly in your face and neck, then your arms and legs. Finally it will start significantly coming off your midsection. So dont stress if you dont see big changes immidiately, they are happening, you just need to look in the right areas.

You'll get there mate... just stick at it.

Comment

• Wasn't gonna post pix but decided - I should. You guys are all so brave.

41, 5'8ish (I may be taller in my mind than in reality) - heaviest weight was 193. Did some weight watchers... dropped to 183. Some friends were doing paleo - I didn't understand it but tried to eat more whole foods - did a lot of Cooking Light recipies and ate better but still ate pasta, bread etc. I dropped another 10lbs to 173. Figured this is what middle age was and I would just be this way - 173 and a size 14 from here on out.

Decided to try primal (fully out of spite to my friends and thinking no way would I live without grain) and bought a book to really "get" what I was trying to do and to do it correctly vs. trying to guess.

Started primal October 1, 2011.

Felt a lot better and slept through the night. This was enough - the focus on how I felt and feeling good.

Then I lost some weight. My low weight - weighed this week - was 159.5 but I've been stuck at 160 for a while. I probably need to clean up some eating (too much dairy and too much red wine probably) Decided I didn't care and would focus on some strength for now. Dial things in a bit later - I really like my dairy and wine.

All my size 14 pants/skirts are super big - can't wear them. Took them to a consignment shop. I can still get by at work in my size 12 pants/skirts - however they are safety pinned at the waist because they are too big. I think I might be fitting into 9s if not now, shortly. I just don't have the $$ to buy new pants/skirts right now and I haven't gone shopping cuz I'd be too tempted to buy - and what if 9s are tight? Will make do with safety pins and size 12 for now.

I took pix the first of November - 30 days after being primal and before I began strength training according to the primal e-book.
        I took pix just a couple weeks ago in January 2012 - 60 days of strength/sprint training.

It's motivating to see that I have made improvements but it's disheartening to see yourself and you never look as good as you think you do! And I have wierd ribs - something about a concave or convex sternum... always have had it. I see I still have a way to go before I am buff by any means. It's a journey and isn't gonna happen overnight.

I ordered Convict Conditioning and started the big six movements last week. Figure it's similar to Mark's ebook with pix and maybe some more incremental exercises. I can't wait until I really have some muscle definition.... I worry I'm stuck and won't keep making noticable differences in my frame. However, I started writing things down so I can see rep and movement difficulty as I move up the scale to master the big six.

I'm so glad everyone is so supportive. Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you - Shanster
        Last edited by Shanster; 01-26-2012, 12:16 PM.
        We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

• +Shanster,

Look at that wheat belly go! Good job.
          Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
          Follow me on google+
          Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
          "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Comment

• Awesome work Shanster. Big difference.

Comment

• WOW Shanster!!! Your legs/butt have really firmed up!! Keep at it

Comment

• That's VERY noticeable and great improvement over a very short time! Awesome.
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

• Originally posted by Shanster View Post
                  Wasn't gonna post pix but decided - I should. You guys are all so brave.

41, 5'8ish (I may be taller in my mind than in reality) - heaviest weight was 193. Did some weight watchers... dropped to 183. Some friends were doing paleo - I didn't understand it but tried to eat more whole foods - did a lot of Cooking Light recipies and ate better but still ate pasta, bread etc. I dropped another 10lbs to 173. Figured this is what middle age was and I would just be this way - 173 and a size 14 from here on out.

Decided to try primal (fully out of spite to my friends and thinking no way would I live without grain) and bought a book to really "get" what I was trying to do and to do it correctly vs. trying to guess.

Started primal October 1, 2011.

Felt a lot better and slept through the night. This was enough - the focus on how I felt and feeling good.

Then I lost some weight. My low weight - weighed this week - was 159.5 but I've been stuck at 160 for a while. I probably need to clean up some eating (too much dairy and too much red wine probably) Decided I didn't care and would focus on some strength for now. Dial things in a bit later - I really like my dairy and wine.

All my size 14 pants/skirts are super big - can't wear them. Took them to a consignment shop. I can still get by at work in my size 12 pants/skirts - however they are safety pinned at the waist because they are too big. I think I might be fitting into 9s if not now, shortly. I just don't have the $$ to buy new pants/skirts right now and I haven't gone shopping cuz I'd be too tempted to buy - and what if 9s are tight? Will make do with safety pins and size 12 for now.

I took pix the first of November - 30 days after being primal and before I began strength training according to the primal e-book.
                  I took pix just a couple weeks ago in January 2012 - 60 days of strength/sprint training.

It's motivating to see that I have made improvements but it's disheartening to see yourself and you never look as good as you think you do! And I have wierd ribs - something about a concave or convex sternum... always have had it. I see I still have a way to go before I am buff by any means. It's a journey and isn't gonna happen overnight.

I ordered Convict Conditioning and started the big six movements last week. Figure it's similar to Mark's ebook with pix and maybe some more incremental exercises. I can't wait until I really have some muscle definition.... I worry I'm stuck and won't keep making noticable differences in my frame. However, I started writing things down so I can see rep and movement difficulty as I move up the scale to master the big six.

I'm so glad everyone is so supportive. Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you - Shanster
                  Dude I know what you mean, the bottom of my rib age is uneven. There's a weird sort of lump that sticks out more on my left side than my right. I'd always suspected something weird was going on there, but I though it was uneven fat padding. Now the fat is almost gone and the unevenness is just more visible so it must be bone or cartilage x/
                  "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

• Great job!
                    You know where You are? You're in the jungle baby!!! You're gonna die!!!

Comment

• I've got the same sort of thing with an asymmetrical rib cage. It's like one side you can see the individual ribs and the muscles attaching, and the other is a blob. I wonder how common that is?

Maybe we need a support group.
                      Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

Comment

• Originally posted by VeloCity.X View Post
                        I've got the same sort of thing with an asymmetrical rib cage. It's like one side you can see the individual ribs and the muscles attaching, and the other is a blob. I wonder how common that is?

I have it too!
                        My Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by VeloCity.X View Post
                          I've got the same sort of thing with an asymmetrical rib cage. It's like one side you can see the individual ribs and the muscles attaching, and the other is a blob. I wonder how common that is?

I have it too!
                          You don't have to be sick to get better.
                          Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
                          Primal start: 1/2/2012
                          My Primal Journal
                          Living, loving and learning.

Comment

• one of my rib cages sticks out more, as well.
                            Liberalism: ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

Comment

• Originally posted by mommymd View Post
                              Thanks to all of you who have posted before with your pictures. I hope others get the same inspiration from mine as I did from yours.

I took some pictures last summer, when I had been working out with a trainer for 10 months, and GAINED 10 lbs. CW diet to blame:

Before, July 27, 2011 (F) by Mommymd55, on Flickr

Before, July 27, 2011 (L) by Mommymd55, on Flickr

In September I decided that I couldn't just work out, that I had to control what I was eating. I started back with Sparkpeople (I had lost 32 lbs tracking a low fat diet before) and was better about quantities of food, but was still eating carbs. A colleague of mine has been doing Paleo for about a year, and encouraged me gently to give it a go. I went to Chicago on business, and there greatly reduced my carbs. When I came back, my trainer saw a difference immediately. I hit the internet and found a link to the Ancestral Health Symposium, and Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt -LCHF and started eating that way. More videos from AHS and I saw Mark Sisson. Made my way over here, bought the book. I had been lifting heavy things with my trainer for over a year. Once I cut the grains and upped my fat, my shape started changing quickly.

I'm still a work in progress:

During, January 18, 2012 3 months primal (F) by Mommymd55, on Flickr

During, January 18, 2012 3 months primal (L) by Mommymd55, on Flickr

I just turned 40, married, 2 boys, work full time. I've taken up sewing recently, and the skirt that I made to measure is way too big by the time I got it hemmed.

The best thing for me about this WOE is that I don't measure my food or calculate my calories, eat when I'm hungry and never get out of control hunger. I didn't believe it was possible for me.
                              OMG. I was scanning through this thread to see all the brave souls who posted pictures. Then I was like, oh a mother-daughter duo is posting pictures. Cute. Then I looked back and forth...and realized it was the same person! The difference is amazing! Glowing skin, smile, you look 20 years younger! You made my jaw drop! Look at you!

Comment

• oh my goodness mommymd! you look quite a bit younger!i would put you at 25-30 in that last pic!

bigga what- put the damn toilet seat down! you're looking great!

bensonelposman- i can see a difference. it's subtle but it's there, especially around your face. remember that your endocrine system has to get back into balance before you start seeing big changes. keep up the good work, and you'll get there!
                                Last edited by Saoirse; 01-30-2012, 08:37 AM.
                                my primal journal:
                                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X