This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good morning everyone!

I just dropped a line in the "Meet and Greet" section, but all of the amazing transformations here in the sticky have made me want to share a bit of my own journey. I wish I'd had better photography for my "before" pic, but it is what it is. :P

1Start by kalel213, on Flickr

3More serious Sep2011 by kalel213, on Flickr

My favorite thing about the change is that I'm far from done. If this is the midpoint, then things are hopeful indeed.
    Last edited by kalel213; 10-01-2011, 10:05 AM. Reason: Images were broken

Comment

• Ok, worries about putting photos on the internet aside, I promised myself that I would post some before/during shots up at the beginning of this month.

I've got a journal going where I go into detail (but it's basically food, diary, random thoughts) but to give the basices, I'm 42, used to be a lot more athletic - pretty decent local/regional bicycle racer. That pretty much stopped after the 2nd kid came along and he turns 6 this month. And I've had a very very difficult 2+ years.

My lowest weight when racing was about 165 lbs at 5'-10"+, average about 173 lbs, and I was always a little bit heavier than most. My max weight was probalby around the beginning of this year at close to 220.

I started exercising again following CW and got down to about 200 lbs. A friend has been Primal for over a year and a half and I finally decided to give it a 30 month try on June 1, 2011

June 1 - I think just under 200 lbs (changed scales and they don't quite match up)

July 1 - 189.1 lbs

August 1 - 183.6 lbs

September 1 - 180.6

October 1 - 172.6 - but probably a bit dehydrated.

So 4 months now, 27.4 lbs off, 45 to 50 total. I've tried to take the photos first thing in the morning, same position, same light no posing. Sorry for the poor quality. Don't seem to be able to hold my hand still enough to get a good picture.

I'm no Bane or SteveO, but I feel like I'm coming along. I still bike a decent amount and teach a spinning class at the Y 3x/week (more than I want), but I'm no where near at the volume I was when racing. I also try to get 2 to 3 LHT workouts in per week. A combination of Y cross-fit style and just body weight exercises focusing on the 5 Essential Movements. And I do a 3 mile VFF park run maybe twice in 3 weeks.

And because I am still a bit vain... I figured out how to use the camera on the laptop and took a photo with a bit more dramatic lighting after my 5 Essentials workout this moring.

Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

Comment

• Danno, that's some great progress, especially when it's so clearly noticeable from some shots where you're not really trying to show it off at all.

Kalel213 that's an awesome transformation. Are you doing primal fitness or are you working in a more strict gym plan or something else like crossfit.

Velo.CityX The changes you've made so far are HUGE!!! You went from looking "doughy" to looking good and solid. Great work, keep it up and you will be thrilled with where you can get to!

Comment

• I still have about 15lbs to go but here's my latest progress update. These photos are from the 1st January, April, July and October. 48lbs down, 5" off my waist and 7" off my hips.

My Journal

Comment

• Wow Em, just wow!!!!!

Comment

• ::: hootin' and stompin' :::

::: face cramp :::

My GOD, Em!! I'm getting choked up over here!

You wanna share with everybody your top weight, ever? (There's a whole lot more to this story, but Em is so humble.)
              "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

• Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
                ::: hootin' and stompin' :::

::: face cramp :::

My GOD, Em!! I'm getting choked up over here!

You wanna share with everybody your top weight, ever? (There's a whole lot more to this story, but Em is so humble.)
                Lol, I dunno about humble, I'm happy to share if people wanna hear it.

I used to weigh 300lbs, I now weigh 182. Those photos are 231, 213, 202 and now 182. There's been a variety of different things I've done to lose 120lbs in the past 5 years but all are based around eating real food, sometimes the calories or the carbs or the fat have been lower/higher, but the principles of 'Just Eat Real Food' have been there for the last 5 years.

Now my focus is on strength training and adjusting my body fat percentage down and my lean muscle percentage up. Oh and trying to firm my skin up.
                My Journal

Comment

• that's amazing, lady and you are my hero for the day
                  beautiful
                  yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                  lol

Comment

• Wow Em! What a gorgeous transformation. You have such a lovely figure now!! Congratulations
                    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

• Originally posted by kalel213 View Post
                      Good morning everyone!

I just dropped a line in the "Meet and Greet" section, but all of the amazing transformations here in the sticky have made me want to share a bit of my own journey. I wish I'd had better photography for my "before" pic, but it is what it is. :P

1Start by kalel213, on Flickr

3More serious Sep2011 by kalel213, on Flickr

My favorite thing about the change is that I'm far from done. If this is the midpoint, then things are hopeful indeed.
                      That is really great - doesn't even look like the same body! How long have you been primal?
                      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

Comment

• Em, you are amazing! You look soooo good...what a transformation! Your tummy in that first photo is VERY familiar to me but I'm slowly losing mine too! :-D How tall are you?
                        Finally uncovering the real me!

My 'Serious Six' journal.

Comment

• Oh jeeze - i just realized this thread has well over 1 million views! Cool

Comment

• Originally posted by gingernut View Post
                            Em, you are amazing! You look soooo good...what a transformation! Your tummy in that first photo is VERY familiar to me but I'm slowly losing mine too! :-D How tall are you?
                            5'10"
                            My Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                              Lol, I dunno about humble, I'm happy to share if people wanna hear it.

I used to weigh 300lbs, I now weigh 182. Those photos are 231, 213, 202 and now 182. There's been a variety of different things I've done to lose 120lbs in the past 5 years but all are based around eating real food, sometimes the calories or the carbs or the fat have been lower/higher, but the principles of 'Just Eat Real Food' have been there for the last 5 years.

Now my focus is on strength training and adjusting my body fat percentage down and my lean muscle percentage up. Oh and trying to firm my skin up.
                              If that's 182 you're either 7' tall or there's plenty of muscle there. Well done.
                              Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

• Thanks for sharing Em! I started my journey at 289 in April, would love to be 180 again, slow and steady wins the race for me, it sure helps to know that it can be/has been done.
                                Chris
                                "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                                Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

Working...
                                X