Primal Success at 60

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nigel View Post
    I was 62 in May and started Primal Light in early March. I am 5"11" and was 240lbs. I was on two medications for blood pressure, a statin and an inhaler twice a day for late onset asthma. Began by just cutting out grains and doing HIT rowing twice or three times a week. After a couple of months I'd lost 10lbs and noticed my blood pressure had dropped. E-mailed my doctor and asked which drug I should come off. Endeavoured to persevere and when I'd lost another 10lbs with blood pressure still doing fine, sent an e-mail stating I was giving up the other BP pills.

In June I read Body by Science and added strength training to the rowing. I weighed 190lbs this morning and I am pleased with my weight progress. I bought You are Your Own Gym week before last and thought I would give up walking the mile to the gym and workout at home. Did the first day's basic session on Monday and have been stiff since. Obviously I'm going to have to work up to even the basic level. That said, I have got ideas for an exercise regime that will eventually bring me up to speed. I'm in no tearing hurry, just so long as I keep making progress.

I reckon I've still got some 20lbs of flab on me but if I put on muscle, the weight loss will likely slow up and I am prepared for that. SWMBO is away babysitting the grandchildren for a week so I can really cut down on the carbs and do some intermittent fasting. On that note, I had nothing to eat from lunch yesterday until lunch today. Unfortunately, she has left bananas in the house and I can not see my way to letting them rot.

Nice to read other people's success stories.
    Thanks for your update Nigel. I love your rational approach to Paleo. I must say you have made tremendous progress, it's especially great you are off the BP meds. Losing 50 lbs is an incredible accomplishment, you must need a whole new wardrobe! I haven't read Your are Your Own Gym, so I think I'll pick up a copy and check it out. For the first 6 months of Paleo I basically just did body weight exercises - chin-ups, push-ups, sit-ups, squats etc and run and had great results. Best of luck and keep us updated on your progress!
    Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

Unfortunately, she has left bananas in the house and I can not see my way to letting them rot.

Just peel, chop into chunks and pop them in the freezer. Then you can add as few chunks as you like to a smoothie or dessert.
      Annie Ups the Ante
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
        I haven't read Your are Your Own Gym, so I think I'll pick up a copy and check it out. For the first 6 months of Paleo I basically just did body weight exercises - chin-ups, push-ups, sit-ups, squats etc and run and had great results.
        BbS was fine while I was concentrating on losing weight slowly & surely as that combined with HIT rowing only took 15 minutes (or less) hard physical effort per week. Now that I am a fat burner, I have found I can do longer periods of exercise. As I said, the Basic level of You are Your Own Gym crippled me. Now that I know what I've got to work up to, I can focus on building stamina as well as strength.

Yesterday I did Press Ups on the side of our bath, Dips on two chairs, Let Me Ups under the kitchen table and Squats. I intend to build the Pull Up/Chin Up/Dips/Hanging Leg Raise tower I bought second hand tomorrow and add other exercises so that I work all parts of my body. I will also go to muscle inroad/failure once a week in order to stimulate their growth.

SWMBO is at our older daughter's to babysit for a bit over a week. I've lost 2lbs since Thursday as I have cut down on carbs and calories (hardly at all from 1800 a day), but, not taste and satisfaction.
        Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post
          Just peel, chop into chunks and pop them in the freezer. Then you can add as few chunks as you like to a smoothie or dessert.
          Nah, had one with ice cream after a 7oz steak, fried onion & mushrooms, cabbage, carrot and brussels sprouts, along with two glasses of Syrah. Now it's green tea and water until tomorrow lunch time. No more wine until Wednesday, my other treat is dark chocolate every day.

5' 11" and 189lbs this morning. Belly & man boobs feel like another 20lbs or so of fat to go.
          Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Comment

• Be spontaneous! - If you've ever had one of those days when you didn't feel like following a set routine workout and were looking for something different, here's an option to consider. I woke up this morning feeling energized and wanted to do something different. As I was lying in bed I remembered a term called "Fartlek" which is Swedish for speed play, I decided to combine this with a series of body weight exercises.

Here's how it went -

I warmed up with easy running for 5 to 10 minutes. Then ran a steady, hard speed for about a mile and a half, did a 5 minute walking recovery, then did 10 X 50 meter sprints followed with easy running including four quick steps now and then. I finished with an uphill fulll speed sprint of about 200 meters, then did a five minute recovery walk. Then did some pull-ups, push-ups, sit-up and squats and repeated the Fartlek session.

It felt great! The workout was spontaneous and energizing, just did what I felt like doing and came up with a very enjoyable workout.

Comment

• Paleo Babies! - If any of you 60 plus Groks have baby grand children, feel free to forward this interesting article to their parents:

Hold the pablum: Give that baby some meat, new Canadian guidelines advise - thestar.com

Comment

• Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
                Here's how it went
                I'm nowhere near that level of fitness yet. But I will be!

Losing just under 1lb a day while my wife is away this week. Shouldn't have bought such a big cabbage though....

Comment

But I will be!....
                  I believe you, every great Paleo meal and workout takes you one step closer!

Comment

• Your gains are remarkable! People like you send a very clear and loud message to all us that screams, "Yes, you can do this too!"

There is no better goal than to raise your day-to-day quality of life. Research points out that 70% of our daily choices determine our longevity and health. Every human being needs inspiration and I appreciate people like you that are willing to share their story.

Comment

• Originally posted by michaelhuddleston View Post
                      Your gains are remarkable! People like you send a very clear and loud message to all us that screams, "Yes, you can do this too!"

There is no better goal than to raise your day-to-day quality of life. Research points out that 70% of our daily choices determine our longevity and health. Every human being needs inspiration and I appreciate people like you that are willing to share their story.
                      Wow ... Thanks Michael! When I started I decided to focus on one meal at a time and before you know it I was down 20 lbs. Success builds on your initial enthusiasm and helps to keep you motivated and stay focused. The great thing about the Paleo approach is how quickly your body responds. Now, after more than 7 months, it is no longer a diet it has simply become the way I eat.

Comment

• I'm thinking of holding a Paleo/Primal weekend event (Friday night thru Sunday) for seniors (50+ years of age) here in Sonoma County in Northern California next spring. It would consists of lots of wonderful local organic Paleo food (some great red wines since we are in wine country!), guest speakers including Paleo diet experts, Paleo friendly physicians, movenat, hiking, strength training, interval training, HIT all targeted with seniors in mind. I'd like to attract a minimum of 50 people the first year and would probably charge around $1000 for an all inclusive experience. Do you think this is a good idea? Would you be interested or do you know someone that would? Let me know your thoughts...Thanks!

Comment

• Hi canuck, Great to see the progress you've made.

I'm 62 and started eating Paleo last January. By June I'd lost 35 lb. I've kept it off but haven't lost any more since, although I've stuck to about 85% Paleo. At 5'5" I'm still 195 lb so I have a lot more to lose.

My biggest challenges are portion size and fruit. I'm adore fruit, especially berries, and could happily eat nothing but steak and fruit, with a little shellfish thrown in, for the rest of my life. Like you, I noticed an immediate increase in energy when I started cleaning up my food intake. I suffered from oral lichen planus which is pretty common in women after menopause. It completely disappeared after I stopped eating sugar but returns whenever I do (grandchildren's birthdays) which isn't often. I read labels thoroughly, though, as corn sugars are hidden in almost every product in the supermarket, and I shop and cook for my non-paleo DH. Although I love yogurt and cheese, I can't eat much dairy as it makes my skin break out so I limit dairy products to three or four times a week for calcium and take a supplement. Eggs aren't a problem

I'm committed to the Paleo lifestyle and want to incorporate some real exercise now that I have the energy to move again. I had a chronic illness for many years that kept me from exercising, although I danced seriously (ballet) until I was 21. The muscles are still there but need a wake-up call! I'm just starting to walk every day for twenty minutes. My upper body strength is abysmal. Now that it's winter vegetable time, I'm exploring some new recipes. Overall, the change to a Paleo diet has been the best thing I've done for my health in forty years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moushka26 View Post
                            Hi canuck, Great to see the progress you've made.

I'm 62 and started eating Paleo last January. By June I'd lost 35 lb. I've kept it off but haven't lost any more since, although I've stuck to about 85% Paleo. At 5'5" I'm still 195 lb so I have a lot more to lose.

My biggest challenges are portion size and fruit. I'm adore fruit, especially berries, and could happily eat nothing but steak and fruit, with a little shellfish thrown in, for the rest of my life. Like you, I noticed an immediate increase in energy when I started cleaning up my food intake. I suffered from oral lichen planus which is pretty common in women after menopause. It completely disappeared after I stopped eating sugar but returns whenever I do (grandchildren's birthdays) which isn't often. I read labels thoroughly, though, as corn sugars are hidden in almost every product in the supermarket, and I shop and cook for my non-paleo DH. Although I love yogurt and cheese, I can't eat much dairy as it makes my skin break out so I limit dairy products to three or four times a week for calcium and take a supplement. Eggs aren't a problem

I'm committed to the Paleo lifestyle and want to incorporate some real exercise now that I have the energy to move again. I had a chronic illness for many years that kept me from exercising, although I danced seriously (ballet) until I was 21. The muscles are still there but need a wake-up call! I'm just starting to walk every day for twenty minutes. My upper body strength is abysmal. Now that it's winter vegetable time, I'm exploring some new recipes. Overall, the change to a Paleo diet has been the best thing I've done for my health in forty years.
                            Thank you so much for sharing your story Moushka! I'm very impressed with your commitment and excited to hear about your improved health. As you begin to add exercise back into your life and increase your muscle density you will definitely get a metabolic benefit that will help with your fat loss. It will be great to hear about your progress, please keep in touch.

Comment

• Today, I can officially state "I've lost a sack of tates."

I weighed myself this morning, 184lbs, down from 240lbs in March. Potatoes can be bought here in 56lb sacks. I think I'll take a picture of myself with one just to remind myself how heavy I was, and, to show off. ;-)

Problem is, I can still feel quite a lot of fat round my belly. My original goal was 175lbs but I may have to rethink when I get there.

Comment

Today, I can officially state "I've lost a sack of tates."

I weighed myself this morning, 184lbs, down from 240lbs in March. Potatoes can be bought here in 56lb sacks. I think I'll take a picture of myself with one just to remind myself how heavy I was, and, to show off. ;-)

Problem is, I can still feel quite a lot of fat round my belly. My original goal was 175lbs but I may have to rethink when I get there.
                                That's awesome! Stories like this are seriously amazing to me (I'm relatively young, never been overweight, always been strong). I think people like you and Canuck are more inspiring than anything I could do in terms of motivating people.

You should carry a sack of potatoes around for a day and see what a hassle that is, just as a good reminder of how far you've come. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Working...
                                X