Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Success at 60

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    What is your body type? I believe a one size fits all exercise program does not work and everyone needs to experiment and develop an individualized exercise plan. Some people are predisposed to endurance sports and respond accordingly to endurance training, others are sprinters, strength athletes etc. Determining your body type is another way to assess your predisposition and response to different types of exercise. Are you mesomorph, ectomorph or endomorph? The most important thing is not to compare yourself to others when measuring success, focus on comparing yourself to yourself using a variety of physiologic and health markers. We all progress at different rates.

    Here is a great article that will help you determine your body type and individualize your program:

    Your Body Type - Ectomorph, Mesomorph or Endomorph? | Muscle & Strength
    Last edited by canuck416; 10-10-2012, 07:53 AM.
    Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

    https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

    Comment


    • #92
      That is awesome and inspiring to anyone who is seeking a great lifestyle to feeling awesome.

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by mph View Post
        That is awesome and inspiring to anyone who is seeking a great lifestyle to feeling awesome.
        Thanks MPH, good luck on your Paleo/Primal journey!
        Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

        https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

        Comment


        • #94
          I'm going to share your story with people at my gym. There are a lot of people who are 'more experienced' and overweight looking to make the kind of transformation you did. Way to go!
          http://meatsleeprepeat.com/
          http://ternioncrossfit.com/

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by MeatSleepRepeat View Post
            I'm going to share your story with people at my gym. There are a lot of people who are 'more experienced' and overweight looking to make the kind of transformation you did. Way to go!
            Ha Ha! Meat - Sleep - Repeat....Love it! Really liked your bacon avocado salad recipe.
            Last edited by canuck416; 10-10-2012, 10:12 AM.
            Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

            https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
              Ha Ha! Meat - Sleep - Repeat....Love it! Really liked your bacon avocado salad recipe.
              Thanks!
              http://meatsleeprepeat.com/
              http://ternioncrossfit.com/

              Comment


              • #97
                Over the next couple of weeks I will be referring to a way of training called Wholistic Fitness that I have incorporated into my lifestyle. This approach to training was developed by Steve Ilg, someone I consider to be a personal mentor and guru through his book Total Body Transformation. Steve is an accomplished athlete and runs a Wholistic Fitness/High Performance Yoga Studio in Durango Colorado. He has coached dozens of multi-sport championship athletes and trains many people through his website Wholistic Fitness | Transformation through personal fitness since 1982. Wholistic Fitness combines five disciplines (Strength, Cardio, Yoga, Meditation and Nutrition) and four principles (breath and posture, mindfulness, appropriate action and practice). Steve has incorporated what I would call a primarily vegetarian approach to Paleo, so his nutritional advice may not resonate with the Paleo tribe, but his Wholistic Fitness program is outstanding and may change how you perceive exercise. Hopefully you will find the information as interesting and motivating as I have.

                Here is a link to his book should you be interested:

                Total Body Transformation: A 3-Month Personal Fitness Prescription For a Strong,Lean Body and a Calmer Mind: Steve Ilg: 9780786887323: Amazon.com: Books
                Last edited by canuck416; 10-10-2012, 02:34 PM.
                Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                Comment


                • #98
                  What an incredibly beautiful morning, here in Sonoma county. Fall in Northern California is truly magnificent. Just finished a wonderful cardio workout jogging one mile to the track and then doing 10 X 100 meter sprints, followed by the one mile run home. Half way through my interval workout I took off my minimalist shoes and ran the last 5 sprints barefoot on the grass. I believe the most direct and authentic Cardio activities are done barefoot, maximizing the personal and spiritual growth benefits of the workout. My cardio workouts are not distracted by music or doing the treadmill in front of a TV but in nature, looking within, as a form of meditation and a vehicle for self transformation. This morning as I began my 7th sprint my elevated heart rate and breath awareness became overwhelming. As I pushed harder through a rich sensation I merged my meditation into the turbulence of breath and I developed an elevated sense of awareness that left me feeling naturally connected with the planet through my bare feet and the soft turf. Let your breath be your music!
                  Last edited by canuck416; 10-13-2012, 05:18 PM.
                  Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                  https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Strength Training Day! -Great breakfast this morning! 3 egg omelette stuffed with asparagus, broccoli, summer squash, onion, pepper, goat cheese crumbles and bacon sauteed in coconut oil. Side was a half avocado and raspberries. Yum! Followed it up with a trip to the gym (or as I like to call it the Iron Temple). True balance in personal fitness mandates getting into the gym and discovering the art of strength training. Getting our butts into the gym builds healthy lean tissue and deeply engraves into our posture a physical poise and presence that carries us into older age. The sinew one develops by knocking around the iron is invaluable and with age it becomes even more important to delay and reverse the entropic effects of gravity. Strength training remains the most effective way to sculpt the body. Barbells change more than your body they change your mindset. Each set in the gym should be done with an emphasis on elegance. Forget the amount of weight you are lifting and shift the focus to how you are lifting. The key to functional strength training is learning to make less feel like more. Every repetition in the gym should express three distinct qualities: Yin (female), Yang (male), and neutral (transition). Nearly every injury, as well as training staleness, in the gym is due to ignorance of this rule. A yang, or male phase, is explosive and occurs on the concentric contraction - when muscle fibers shorten as they contract. The Yin, or female phase, is a slower, more controlled motion that occurs on the eccentric contraction - when the muscle fibers lengthen. The neutral or transition phase links the yin and yang together. It parallels kumbaka in yoga, or the moment between inhalation and exhalation. Exhale on yang phases and inhale on yin phases. Think of strength training as gym yoga.
                    Last edited by canuck416; 10-14-2012, 03:35 PM.
                    Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                    https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                    Comment


                    • Hi Canuck!
                      I haven't been by the forum for a while, but I'm sticking with it, and have now lost another 10lbs. And my 34-year old daughter has joined me - she's delighted to be able to get into a pair of jeans she'd given up on a while back.
                      I look forward to getting more active to boost the weight loss and my health generally, but I'm recovering from nail surgery to both feet, and it's a slow job healing up, so a bit of walking is the best I can manage. But I'm definitely enjoying the Paleo path food-wise, and finding it easy and pleasurable to keep to.
                      Thanks for your encouragement! And kind wishes.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Cornemuse View Post
                        Hi Canuck!
                        I haven't been by the forum for a while, but I'm sticking with it, and have now lost another 10lbs. And my 34-year old daughter has joined me - she's delighted to be able to get into a pair of jeans she'd given up on a while back.
                        I look forward to getting more active to boost the weight loss and my health generally, but I'm recovering from nail surgery to both feet, and it's a slow job healing up, so a bit of walking is the best I can manage. But I'm definitely enjoying the Paleo path food-wise, and finding it easy and pleasurable to keep to.
                        Thanks for your encouragement! And kind wishes.
                        Another 10 lbs. wow that's great. How wonderful to hear your daughter has joined you on your Paleo journey. I think you will feel much more motivated to workout as your weight decreases, I know I did. Hopefully your feet recover soon from you nail surgery. Wishing you both all the best and much Paleo success!
                        Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                        https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                        Comment


                        • Training update - Interesting to note that since I re-introduced weight training back into my workouts, I have added a couple of pounds of muscle (currently weigh 170 lbs). I was previously, doing HIT body weight strength training. Strength has increased significantly and I have noticed more muscle definition in a very short period of time. I have also added a form of Yoga called High Performance Yoga (a form of Ashtanga yoga) which I do 3 times a week. This has been eye opening and fairly intense as I have never been very flexible. However the point of yoga is not so much attaining the positions, but in the journey to being able to do the positions. It is important to tone down my driven nature when doing yoga, so I let my breath guide me in and out of postures, not my ego.
                          Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                          https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                          Comment


                          • You've done great, congratulations! I'm sending this on 'cause you seem to still have a dearth of “old farts” responding.

                            I turned 65 in August. Started Primal in July, along with my wife. It has been a very easy transition for us. We never were really bad on food, but did do a lot of carbohydrates, and more fast food than we should have. We were just on the “see food” diet.

                            I'm about 5'10” started Primal at 256. Now at 224, I'm down 32 lbs. Wife is down about 20. I feel much better and younger as time is going by. Now that there is some vague sign of a six-pack (abs, not inside the belly) I'm pretty fired up. I don't have a real weight objective, just interested in finding out how low my weight will go before I plateau out. I suspect it will be around 200, based on frame size.

                            History: I was your typical high school jock (baseball, football) weighed about 200 sr. yr. playing football when I was in the best shape of my life. I was on a more or less straight line 2-3 lbs/yr weight gain, with a big spike during a period when I was a consulting “road warrior” and ballooned to almost 300 and felt really lousy. Through strict calorie cut backs and grindingly hard exercise I got to 220 in about 1 yr. When I backed off the exercise, I gained back and stabilized at the 255-260 range. I've got a bad right knee, had to give up racquetball in the early 90's and haven't been able to run in a long time, but have no trouble walking.

                            My son found Primal and introduced it to me. We've been very disciplined on our eating, have not experienced any problems with the transition. Our exercise is primarily walking -- we get out almost every day, and go 30 minutes to an hour at a brisk pace, and the brisk pace is getting faster as time goes by, so we are having to adjust our routes. We also have the P90X cd's and do these several days a week (doing our best, forgetting the rest – especially when doing the yoga session) I've also got an old Schwinn Air Dyne exercise bike that I use to complement the walks and to address the need for sprints. I like it because it works both arms and legs.

                            We are not doing anything dramatic, nothing fancy, just trying to stay pretty much on the eating plan, hitting the activity buttons, and keeping it low-key, and most importantly, feeling good with the progress to date.
                            The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Rig D View Post
                              You've done great, congratulations! I'm sending this on 'cause you seem to still have a dearth of “old farts” responding.

                              I turned 65 in August. Started Primal in July, along with my wife. It has been a very easy transition for us. We never were really bad on food, but did do a lot of carbohydrates, and more fast food than we should have. We were just on the “see food” diet.

                              I'm about 5'10” started Primal at 256. Now at 224, I'm down 32 lbs. Wife is down about 20. I feel much better and younger as time is going by. Now that there is some vague sign of a six-pack (abs, not inside the belly) I'm pretty fired up. I don't have a real weight objective, just interested in finding out how low my weight will go before I plateau out. I suspect it will be around 200, based on frame size.

                              History: I was your typical high school jock (baseball, football) weighed about 200 sr. yr. playing football when I was in the best shape of my life. I was on a more or less straight line 2-3 lbs/yr weight gain, with a big spike during a period when I was a consulting “road warrior” and ballooned to almost 300 and felt really lousy. Through strict calorie cut backs and grindingly hard exercise I got to 220 in about 1 yr. When I backed off the exercise, I gained back and stabilized at the 255-260 range. I've got a bad right knee, had to give up racquetball in the early 90's and haven't been able to run in a long time, but have no trouble walking.

                              My son found Primal and introduced it to me. We've been very disciplined on our eating, have not experienced any problems with the transition. Our exercise is primarily walking -- we get out almost every day, and go 30 minutes to an hour at a brisk pace, and the brisk pace is getting faster as time goes by, so we are having to adjust our routes. We also have the P90X cd's and do these several days a week (doing our best, forgetting the rest – especially when doing the yoga session) I've also got an old Schwinn Air Dyne exercise bike that I use to complement the walks and to address the need for sprints. I like it because it works both arms and legs.

                              We are not doing anything dramatic, nothing fancy, just trying to stay pretty much on the eating plan, hitting the activity buttons, and keeping it low-key, and most importantly, feeling good with the progress to date.
                              Thanks for dropping in Rig D! Wow, down 32 lbs since July...That's great. It's exciting to hear about your success. I really think the Primal/Paleo lifestyle suits people over 50. I was reading the other day that grain glutens affect us more as we get older by actually speeding up the aging process. Everything from Alzheimer and arthritis to heart disease and cancer seems to be directly or directly effected by gluten and an overload of dietary carbohydrates. What I like best about eating this way (besides the weight loss) is how great I feel. Sounds like you and your wife are enjoying the same benefits.
                              Last edited by canuck416; 10-26-2012, 11:57 AM.
                              Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                              https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                              Comment


                              • I was 62 in May and started Primal Light in early March. I am 5"11" and was 240lbs. I was on two medications for blood pressure, a statin and an inhaler twice a day for late onset asthma. Began by just cutting out grains and doing HIT rowing twice or three times a week. After a couple of months I'd lost 10lbs and noticed my blood pressure had dropped. E-mailed my doctor and asked which drug I should come off. Endeavoured to persevere and when I'd lost another 10lbs with blood pressure still doing fine, sent an e-mail stating I was giving up the other BP pills.

                                In June I read Body by Science and added strength training to the rowing. I weighed 190lbs this morning and I am pleased with my weight progress. I bought You are Your Own Gym week before last and thought I would give up walking the mile to the gym and workout at home. Did the first day's basic session on Monday and have been stiff since. Obviously I'm going to have to work up to even the basic level. That said, I have got ideas for an exercise regime that will eventually bring me up to speed. I'm in no tearing hurry, just so long as I keep making progress.

                                I reckon I've still got some 20lbs of flab on me but if I put on muscle, the weight loss will likely slow up and I am prepared for that. SWMBO is away babysitting the grandchildren for a week so I can really cut down on the carbs and do some intermittent fasting. On that note, I had nothing to eat from lunch yesterday until lunch today. Unfortunately, she has left bananas in the house and I can not see my way to letting them rot.

                                Nice to read other people's success stories.
                                Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X