Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Success at 60

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Are you exercising with a goal toward better health? Striking the right balance in the intensity of your fitness routine is a key component of long term heath....

    Why Exercising Too Much Hurts Your Gut
    Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

    https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

    Comment


    • Every day, millions of people are taking medications that will not help them. The top ten highest-grossing drugs in the United States help between 1 in 25 and 1 in 4 of the people who take them. For some drugs, such as statins — routinely used to lower cholesterol — as few as 1 in 50 may benefit. Perhaps it's time for a new approach....

      Personalized medicine: Time for one-person trials : Nature News & Comment
      Last edited by canuck416; 04-30-2015, 01:42 PM.
      Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

      https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

      Comment


      • N=1 medicine?
        Huge culture shock, but I like it!
        The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

        Comment


        • It's amazing to me how many of my friends are on medications. Anti depressants, statins, anti-hypertensives, anti-acids, antibiotics....Whew! I am happy to say thanks to a Paleo/Primal diet and exercise lifestyle at the age of 63 I take absolutely no medications and feel better than I have since my 30s. All my health markers are excellent and even my arthritis seems to have disappeared. Makes me believe Thomas Edison may eventually be right when he said the following.

          “The doctor of the future will give no medication, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, diet and in the cause and prevention of disease. ~ ”
          ― Thomas A. Edison
          Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

          https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

          Comment


          • I'm roughly three decades younger than you, and tons of MY friends are on medications!

            Comment


            • I'm 67.5 and in Feb I started taking a BP med. Sadly I'm afraid I really need to be taking this one, my BP was truly high and I couldn't get it down.
              Burns my butt, I enjoyed being on none

              IMHO, there are a lot of people taking stuff that's not needed and/or harmful. I'm also of the opinion that most people leap to the Doc's office way more frequently than they ought to for a lot of stuff that isn't a real issue.
              The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Rig D View Post
                I'm 67.5 and in Feb I started taking a BP med. Sadly I'm afraid I really need to be taking this one, my BP was truly high and I couldn't get it down.
                Burns my butt, I enjoyed being on none

                IMHO, there are a lot of people taking stuff that's not needed and/or harmful. I'm also of the opinion that most people leap to the Doc's office way more frequently than they ought to for a lot of stuff that isn't a real issue.
                Sorry to hear about your high BP. Has this been an ongoing problem over the years, perhaps its a genetic predispostion? My blood pressure used to be borderline high 130/90 but since I went Paleo/Primal and started exercising it's dropped to about 110/75.
                Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                  I'm roughly three decades younger than you, and tons of MY friends are on medications!
                  I know, seems crazy to me.
                  Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                  https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                  Comment


                  • Has this been an ongoing problem over the years, perhaps its a genetic predispostion?
                    Canuck, I've had highish BP as long as I can remember, and it had slowly gotten higher the last 10 yrs or so, and stabilized once going Primal in 2012, but never came down. My mother took meds for BP also. Dad had no issues. I went through some extensive testing earlier this year with an echocardiogram and it was determined that my heart is enlarged, my MD thinks that is a result of the largely untreated BP, and my on-line research would agree. The enlarged heart doesn't present any immediate problems for me in terms of doing stuff, and the MD says there is a fair chance that with the treatment he's got me on, the situation will improve, should not deteriorate. So other than taking a pill 2x/day, I'm changing nothing. He's pro-paleo in terms of health and lifestyle. He's fairly primal, young, and his parents are both paleo so he's got some first hand exposure. So I'm helping him with his "practice" on how to treat heart problems.

                    My older daughter is a nurse and works pretty exclusively with the elderly. She tells me that a whole bunch of older types have enlarged hearts. She thinks it kind of goes with the territory as we lap the sun. Still, I'm gonna take the little pills and keep on with current diet/exercise efforts and hopefully not see my health deteriorate. I'm just a whole bunch better off now physically than I was when I started Primal mid 2012. I'm not much concerned with the heart problem, my family history would indicate the big C is more my big potential problem. It got both my parents, and a number of aunts/uncles on both sides of the family.
                    The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Rig D View Post
                      Canuck, I've had highish BP as long as I can remember, and it had slowly gotten higher the last 10 yrs or so, and stabilized once going Primal in 2012, but never came down. My mother took meds for BP also. Dad had no issues. I went through some extensive testing earlier this year with an echocardiogram and it was determined that my heart is enlarged, my MD thinks that is a result of the largely untreated BP, and my on-line research would agree. The enlarged heart doesn't present any immediate problems for me in terms of doing stuff, and the MD says there is a fair chance that with the treatment he's got me on, the situation will improve, should not deteriorate. So other than taking a pill 2x/day, I'm changing nothing. He's pro-paleo in terms of health and lifestyle. He's fairly primal, young, and his parents are both paleo so he's got some first hand exposure. So I'm helping him with his "practice" on how to treat heart problems.

                      My older daughter is a nurse and works pretty exclusively with the elderly. She tells me that a whole bunch of older types have enlarged hearts. She thinks it kind of goes with the territory as we lap the sun. Still, I'm gonna take the little pills and keep on with current diet/exercise efforts and hopefully not see my health deteriorate. I'm just a whole bunch better off now physically than I was when I started Primal mid 2012. I'm not much concerned with the heart problem, my family history would indicate the big C is more my big potential problem. It got both my parents, and a number of aunts/uncles on both sides of the family.
                      Yeah I'm pretty sure any long standing HBP will cause left ventricle hypertrophy. I had a little of that myself and at only 46 years old. Dad's family has a very strong history of HBP and at young ages. I too caved and began medication. Slowly, through eating primal and exercising, I'm coming off most of the darned meds the doc had me on but I think I will need to keep the BP med. We will see. It doesn't cause me any noticeable side effects so I'm hopeful and will likely help reverse the mild enlargement.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Rig D View Post
                        Canuck, I've had highish BP as long as I can remember, and it had slowly gotten higher the last 10 yrs or so, and stabilized once going Primal in 2012, but never came down. My mother took meds for BP also. Dad had no issues. I went through some extensive testing earlier this year with an echocardiogram and it was determined that my heart is enlarged, my MD thinks that is a result of the largely untreated BP, and my on-line research would agree. The enlarged heart doesn't present any immediate problems for me in terms of doing stuff, and the MD says there is a fair chance that with the treatment he's got me on, the situation will improve, should not deteriorate. So other than taking a pill 2x/day, I'm changing nothing. He's pro-paleo in terms of health and lifestyle. He's fairly primal, young, and his parents are both paleo so he's got some first hand exposure. So I'm helping him with his "practice" on how to treat heart problems.

                        My older daughter is a nurse and works pretty exclusively with the elderly. She tells me that a whole bunch of older types have enlarged hearts. She thinks it kind of goes with the territory as we lap the sun. Still, I'm gonna take the little pills and keep on with current diet/exercise efforts and hopefully not see my health deteriorate. I'm just a whole bunch better off now physically than I was when I started Primal mid 2012. I'm not much concerned with the heart problem, my family history would indicate the big C is more my big potential problem. It got both my parents, and a number of aunts/uncles on both sides of the family.
                        Thanks for providing the insight. I've always believed that combining a healthy diet and the right kind of exercise to be foundational to good health, but just as importantly I feel that we should not ignore advice from medical experts when it comes to these types of health issues. Although they may be lacking in their knowledge of preventative medicine, they are amazing at saving lives once things have gone wrong.
                        Last edited by canuck416; 09-08-2015, 10:55 AM.
                        Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                        https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                        Comment


                        • I've had a lot of health improvements due to a Paleo/Primal lifestyle. Blood pressure normalized, significant fat loss, great blood lipid numbers, significant reduction in arthritic symptoms and seasonal allergies. But most surprising to me is the disappearance of warts that I'd had for years.
                          Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                          https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                          Comment


                          • It's interesting how Paleo concepts have been repackaged to address a variety of health and fitness issues. Removing the word Paleo, which often gets derided as a fad, opens up people to the tremendous benefits of Paleo eating. Here's an example, not one word of eating Paleo, but those of us who do can see these are Paleo eating strategies....

                            6 Metabolism DEATH Foods - DrAxe.com
                            Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                            https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                            Comment


                            • I've read a number of Axe's articles/posts. I agree that he doesn't pump the word paleo, but he certainly warms his hand over the paleo camp fire.
                              The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

                              Comment


                              • Canuck416 - Congrats not only on your success since 2012, but also your persistence to continue to learn, improve and try new things. I just read the first 100 posts to this thread and can relate so much to what you have done. Inspired to say the least. I have been Paleo 80% since April 28, 2014 weighing 234 at that time and dropping to 205 since then in circa 60 days. I think so many of us think there is one solution to health, e.g., person X says, "I go to spin class 3x / week!" Ok, so what do you eat ... ? Your thread here in large part due to your continued following and sharing and responding makes it clear that health is wholistic. Also strength should be functional and movnat and I suspect your yoga help greatly here. I am migrating from a cardio person toward strength training, presently following Max Shank's Ultimate Athleticism program and seeking to improve functional strength. It is working as I'm progressing to the L Sit to handstand ( still a ways to go but progressing ), and mixing it up, enjoying tennis, and feeling strong at the end of the matches is real nice :-)

                                Curious: tell us, if you have not already, about the importance of the high performance yoga as that seems to have been an anchor in your program, and specifically how has it helped your flexibility?

                                Thanks in advance, -Wes


                                Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X