Primal Success at 60

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
    If he is a CW Doc expect a lot of pressure to go on Statins. Perhaps, if you are feeling comfortable iwth your ratios, you should pass on seeing the doctor, not sure what he will be able to offer you. Although you might be able to educate him!
    I certainly thinks she's CW, however I am quite sales resistant and in no mood to be astatinated. I did also take medication for high blood pressure and late onset asthma. I have been able to give them up too and I just want a general health check as my father pegged out at age 64. I will also take some evidence to show her with regards to cholesterol and heart disease as I know she has been impressed with my weight loss and ability to stop taking the two BP meds.

Did my weekly strength training before lunch and have decided to do more bits and pieces of body weight more often.

One thing about going Primal/Paleo is that I have learned to research stuff myself so that I can make more informed decisions about what I am doing with my body and mind.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nigel View Post
      I certainly thinks she's CW, however I am quite sales resistant and in no mood to be astatinated. I did also take medication for high blood pressure and late onset asthma. I have been able to give them up too and I just want a general health check as my father pegged out at age 64. I will also take some evidence to show her with regards to cholesterol and heart disease as I know she has been impressed with my weight loss and ability to stop taking the two BP meds.

Did my weekly strength training before lunch and have decided to do more bits and pieces of body weight more often.

One thing about going Primal/Paleo is that I have learned to research stuff myself so that I can make more informed decisions about what I am doing with my body and mind.
      It's probably a good idea based on your family history and I am sure you will keep her recommendations in perspective. Apologies for assuming the doctor was male - good grief total faux pas!
      Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

total faux pas!
        These things happen. Although, for me it'd be a total cockup.

Since starting my primal journey I have found that doctors don't know it all. In fact, I suspect I now know a lot more about nutrition, cholesterol, weight loss strategy, fitness and my body than she does.
        Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Comment

• Its spring! Time to add some muscle and lower the body fat.

Over the years I've experimented with all types of training from triathlon to crossfit types of training before it was called Crossfit. Its my personal experience that weight training is by far the fastest way to change the look of your body. Combine weight training with the Paleo/Primal diet and you have the best possible combination. What works best for me is training body parts twice a week along with two interval workouts at the track. Here is my current workout, I'm usually working out in the gym for about 45 minutes per session, take a 1 minute rest between sets, and use supersets to intensify the workout. Keep in mind this is not a beginner routine but it can be modified to any level of strength and conditioning:

Mondays and Thursdays - Chest and Back (Flat and Incline BB Bench Press, Pullups, Seated Pully Row, Supine DB Laterals, One Arm DB Row, Dips and DB Stiff Arm Pullovers)

Tuesday and Fridays - Morning - Shoulders and Arms (Seated DB Press, DB Lateral Raises, Bent over DB Laterals, DB Curls, Tricep Pressdowns, Scott Curls, Tricep Pushbacks) - Afternoon - Intervals at the track 10 X100 meter sprints

Wednesdays and Saturdays - Legs (Squats, Hack Squats, Thigh Extensions, Leg Curls, Calf Raises)

Sunday - Rest Day

Diet - Back to basics - High fat, medium protein, low carbs Monday thru Saturday, Sunday is a refeed day, high carb, low fat. Old school body building diet for the next month - lots of Steaks and Eggs baby!
          Last edited by canuck416; 04-26-2013, 07:14 AM.

Comment

I Here is my current workout
            Far too much for my lazy carcass. I do intend to do more low impact gardening as well as the daily walks to town for shopping, and, will increase the number of press ups, squats, chair dips and sit ups I do in a day though. I think I'll stick with my weekly strength training, unless I feel lively and put in another session during a seven day period.

I have not lost any weight for months now and must cut down (or out) the pistachios and mixed nuts of an evening.

Comment

• Weighed myself this morning. 183lbs. I have decided to get strict for a couple of weeks:- No potatoes, no sweet potatoes, no carrots, no parsnips, no fruit, no mixed nut/pistachio suppers.

I have printed off my allowed foods from the updated Atkins diet first two weeks list. I added some daily treats like dark chocolate and Greek Yoghurt with a little genuine Maple syrup or blueberries. I will allow myself red wine a couple of days a week too. No sense in going daft!

I shall give it two weeks and see how I do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nigel View Post
                Weighed myself this morning. 183lbs. I have decided to get strict for a couple of weeks:- No potatoes, no sweet potatoes, no carrots, no parsnips, no fruit, no mixed nut/pistachio suppers.

I have printed off my allowed foods from the updated Atkins diet first two weeks list. I added some daily treats like dark chocolate and Greek Yoghurt with a little genuine Maple syrup or blueberries. I will allow myself red wine a couple of days a week too. No sense in going daft!

I shall give it two weeks and see how I do.

Nigel, feel free to join us on the steak and eggs diet thread in the nutrition section. We are doing a strict old school body building diet of steak and eggs for 6 days and a high carb low fat Sunday experiment for 4 weeks. Check it out.

Comment

Nigel, feel free to join us on the steak and eggs diet thread in the nutrition section. We are doing a strict old school body building diet of steak and eggs for 6 days and a high carb low fat Sunday experiment for 4 weeks. Check it out.
                  Hmmph. How come when you describe it as "old school bodybuilding diet" it sounds macho and not a peep about it from Choco. But when I call it ketosis, he tells me I have an eating disorder? There's a double standard here somewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                    Hmmph. How come when you describe it as "old school bodybuilding diet" it sounds macho and not a peep about it from Choco. But when I call it ketosis, he tells me I have an eating disorder? There's a double standard here somewhere.
                    There was some other troll on the thread duking it out the other night.

Comment

Ha Ha...Definitely a double standard! Your feedback on your Ketosis diet actually played a part in gaving me the confidence to go ahead and give the steak and egg diet a try.
                      Last edited by canuck416; 04-29-2013, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                        There was some other troll on the thread duking it out the other night.
                        By the way I thought you handled the troll beautifully.

Comment

Ha Ha...Definitely a double standard! Your feedback on your Ketosis diet actually played a part in gaving me the confidence to go ahead and give the steak and egg diet a try.
                          Well, I really do think that, if one were to extend this beyond a one month "hack" perspective, it would need to go from "steak and eggs" to "nose to tail critters and eggs" for optimal health. For example, I'm tanking up on some liver today since am going to be donating blood tomorrow.

One thing I am trying along with you for the month is dropping the dairy to see if that makes a difference.

Comment

One thing I am trying along with you for the month is dropping the dairy to see if that makes a difference.
                            Agreed, also good point on the dairy. I stopped eating dairy for the first 4 months, then let it back in gradually to see what would happen. I don't think I have a problem with it, but it will be interesting to see if avoiding it helps with the stubborn low belly fat that is so hard to get rid of.

Comment

By the way I thought you handled the troll beautifully.
                              Aw, shucks. Well, we do what we can. He did seem to disappear there. I was thinking it was past his bedtime.

Comment

Agreed, also good point on the dairy. I stopped eating dairy for the first 4 months, then let it back in gradually to see what would happen. I don't think I have a problem with it, but it will be interesting to see if avoiding it helps with the stubborn low belly fat that is so hard to get rid of.
                                Right. I don't have an intolerance per se but I think it is just too easy to overeat. Kind of like an open container of macadamia nuts, eh, Kath?

Comment

Working...
                                X