Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Success at 60

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
    I went to the American Heart Association website to check out their nutritional recommendations. Wow! They are still recommending 6-8 servings of grains per day and vegetable oils and magarine over butter. Eating like this is what is causing heart disease and obesity. What does 8 servings of grain look like - that would be 8 slices of bread or 4 cups of Rice...Unbelievable!
    Isn't this still conventional wisdom pretty much everywhere?

    Actually, I think a serving of bread is supposed to be 2 slices.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
      Isn't this still conventional wisdom pretty much everywhere?

      Actually, I think a serving of bread is supposed to be 2 slices.
      Unfortunately I think you are correct about the CW. However I have seen a lot of changes of opinion evolving and more information on the dangers of carbohydrate excesses. It was just stunning to me to see them recommending so much carbohydrates. Here's the link to their recommendations if you are interested. - Suggested Servings from Each Food Group
      Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

      https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

      Comment


      • Doing a home garden can not only provide you with great organic food, it's wonderful exercise. Here are some good tips on keeping your garden GMO free.

        The Four Steps Required to Keep Monsanto OUT of Your Garden
        Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

        https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

        Comment


        • Very interesting insight as Kristen moves from Vegan to Paleo - definitely worth a read.

          My Vegan Diet Caused Health Problems. Would Primal, Paleo, Or “Real Food” Be Better? Kristen's Raw
          Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

          https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

          Comment


          • Turned 61 today and I have to say I haven't felt this good physically and mentally since my early 30s and amazingly I am the same weight I was when I finished high school (168 lbs)! I've been following a Paleo blueprint for over a year now and all my health markers have greatly improved and are now excellent (BP 105/78, body fat 10%, blood lipids outstanding). I think back to those first few weeks when I hoped to get under 200 lbs by my birthday and how motivating it was to see the weight drop so quickly. It has also been exciting to meet and communicate with so many wonderful people in the Paleo community who are experiencing their own personal health journeys and have shared their incredible stories with me - thanks for your inspiration and congratulations to all of you!
            Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

            https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

            Comment


            • Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
              Turned 61 today and I have to say I haven't felt this good physically and mentally since my early 30s and amazingly I am the same weight I was when I finished high school (168 lbs)! I've been following a Paleo blueprint for over a year now and all my health markers have greatly improved and are now excellent (BP 105/78, body fat 10%, blood lipids outstanding). I think back to those first few weeks when I hoped to get under 200 lbs by my birthday and how motivating it was to see the weight drop so quickly. It has also been exciting to meet and communicate with so many wonderful people in the Paleo community who are experiencing their own personal health journeys and have shared their incredible stories with me - thanks for your inspiration and congratulations to all of you!
              Awesome, Canuck!

              Also, thanks for the link above about making a non-GMO garden. I'm planting a small one next weekend, so that's really helpful.

              Keep it up, sir.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                Awesome, Canuck!

                Also, thanks for the link above about making a non-GMO garden. I'm planting a small one next weekend, so that's really helpful.

                Keep it up, sir.
                Thanks Mr. Anthony, always enjoy your comments on this and other Forum sites!
                Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                Comment


                • Ha Ha...Love these great old meat ads from the 40s & 50s -

                  18 MEAT Ads
                  Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                  https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                  Comment


                  • I'm back from my Duke of Edinburg Award duties. Plover Hill and Pen Y Ghent .jpg The picture is the back of Plover Hill towards Pen Y Ghent in the Yorkshire Dales.
                    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
                      Turned 61 today and I have to say I haven't felt this good physically and mentally since my early 30s and amazingly I am the same weight I was when I finished high school (168 lbs)! I've been following a Paleo blueprint for over a year now and all my health markers have greatly improved and are now excellent (BP 105/78, body fat 10%, blood lipids outstanding). I think back to those first few weeks when I hoped to get under 200 lbs by my birthday and how motivating it was to see the weight drop so quickly. It has also been exciting to meet and communicate with so many wonderful people in the Paleo community who are experiencing their own personal health journeys and have shared their incredible stories with me - thanks for your inspiration and congratulations to all of you!
                      happy belated b-day!
                      ----------------------------------------
                      F, 48, 5'10"
                      Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                      Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

                      Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
                        Very interesting insight as Kristen moves from Vegan to Paleo - definitely worth a read.

                        My Vegan Diet Caused Health Problems. Would Primal, Paleo, Or “Real Food” Be Better? Kristen's Raw
                        Thanks for posting this article/blog. My sister, who has a 3-1/2 year old, and my 21-year old daughter are vegetarian. I'm noticing now how unhealthy my sister is looking (she is 43), and I have concerns for her child. Having a dialogue with either my sister, or my daughter are fruitless. There is this mentality around being vegetarian that is cult-like. I try not to say anything to my sister about her lifestyle choice, because it's not really appropriate for me to do so, but it's hard to remain silent. My lovely sister mention she was having her hair done and some botox in her face a few weeks ago. I asked her if it wouldn't be cheaper to just eat some meat and fat. I know, I know --- I have to mind my own business. What's strange is the fact that she is willing to have crazy injections with chemicals injected into her face, but is opposed to eating protein. Anyway, I'm finished venting .... :-)
                        ----------------------------------------
                        F, 48, 5'10"
                        Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                        Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

                        Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Louisa655 View Post
                          Thanks for posting this article/blog. My sister, who has a 3-1/2 year old, and my 21-year old daughter are vegetarian. I'm noticing now how unhealthy my sister is looking (she is 43), and I have concerns for her child. Having a dialogue with either my sister, or my daughter are fruitless. There is this mentality around being vegetarian that is cult-like. I try not to say anything to my sister about her lifestyle choice, because it's not really appropriate for me to do so, but it's hard to remain silent. My lovely sister mention she was having her hair done and some botox in her face a few weeks ago. I asked her if it wouldn't be cheaper to just eat some meat and fat. I know, I know --- I have to mind my own business. What's strange is the fact that she is willing to have crazy injections with chemicals injected into her face, but is opposed to eating protein. Anyway, I'm finished venting .... :-)
                          I hear you, I have had similar trying conversations with Vegetarian friends. I have tried a different approach, I don't focus on meat rather I encouraged them to go grain and soy free, to eliminate vegetable oils, trans fats and HFC. I have several friends who are embrassing this approach with good results.
                          Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                          https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Nigel View Post
                            I'm back from my Duke of Edinburg Award duties. [ATTACH]11321[/ATTACH] The picture is the back of Plover Hill towards Pen Y Ghent in the Yorkshire Dales.
                            Thanks for posting Nigel, I'd love to hike this area some day. Is this picture in the Yorkshire Dales National Park? If I understand it correctly, Dale is a Nordic/Gemanic term that means valley, so I assume the area has a lot of interesting valleys to explore. Have you visted any of the caves systems? They look very interesting.
                            Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                            https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
                              I'd love to hike this area some day.

                              Is this picture in the Yorkshire Dales National Park?

                              If I understand it correctly, Dale is a Nordic/Gemanic term that means valley, so I assume the area has a lot of interesting valleys to explore.

                              Have you visted any of the caves systems? They look very interesting.
                              It's great walking country and has a unique character.

                              I don't think it is part of the National Park, but, being England can't be far off!

                              Yep, lots of river valleys, and pubs.

                              I don't do going down small holes/potholing, so no I haven't.

                              I'm off to the Lake District at the back end of August for five days assessing two D of E Gold expedition teams. We'll drive up one day, then they'll do their four day expedition and we'll drive back down as soon as they finish.

                              I must now get back in the swing of primal food and some exercise as I have over indulged with beer and wine calories over the last month or so. I'll be doing my weekly strength training today and now the weather is a bit more warm & dry, I'll have a go at sprinting (well, running as fast as I can) on grass tomorrow.

                              I shall be having a check up with my doctor Tuesday next week. I had a blood test last month and my Cholesterol is "very high" at 7.5 UK or 290 USA. However, on reading Griff's cholesterol primer I see that my ratios are fine. No doubt we'll discuss this and I shall have to explain why I wanted the readings (not supplied here) for LDL Pattern A and Pattern B.
                              Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Nigel View Post
                                I shall be having a check up with my doctor Tuesday next week. I had a blood test last month and my Cholesterol is "very high" at 7.5 UK or 290 USA. However, on reading Griff's cholesterol primer I see that my ratios are fine. No doubt we'll discuss this and I shall have to explain why I wanted the readings (not supplied here) for LDL Pattern A and Pattern B.
                                Good luck with your doctor. If he is a CW Doc expect a lot of pressure to go on Statins. Perhaps, if you are feeling comfortable iwth your ratios, you should pass on seeing the doctor, not sure what he will be able to offer you. Although you might be able to educate him!
                                Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                                https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X