Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low carb-ing for a year to loose 100 lb.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kestrel... WOW...WOW...WOW!!! For all that you've been through and all that you've done for yourself!

I'm in the NorthBAy... and I would recommend, since SF has soooooo many cool places to work out... that you check out different places. Ask for a week trial here and there (often FREE, or discounted!).. In addition to the traditional gym environment, there is THE TRX studio there... I think it's off of Vaness... (I sooooo want a TRX system, just based on the appearance of the workout, it calls to me! They have an awesome rock climbing gym too (so I hear), and I bet they have weights... AND try not to worry about the workout buddy too much. You might easily find a place where the people are friendly enough that you're excited to see them, and develop that relationship that keeps you going. Are you drawn to weightlifting??? Or are there other things you want to do? I'm all about having fun with my workouts now... especially with the Primal Philosophy...

Comment

I did my first (intentional) IF this week for 36 hours. I felt like I'd eaten WAY too much Safeway ham last Sunday, so fasted all day Tuesday so didn't have anything between dinner Monday at 6pm and my morning smoothie on Wednesday. I've actually dropped a bit more weight after that, from 158 to 155 ... and holding there. Actually dipped down to 153 right after. Maybe its psychological, but I'd like to drop below 150. I've also replaced strawberries in my morning smoothie with rhubarb that I got fresh, organic, and froze.

OK I can already hear Timothy asking "so, how about the weight training, buddy". Insert excuse here!
      Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

Comment

Kestrel, congrats on your first deliberate IF! 36 hours is impressive; I've only done that once (coincidentally also my first IF). Going to bed after a day without food is much more of a psychological challenge than fasting all day when you know you have a big dinner coming up. 153 was my low point, but I'm up a few since then... don't get too greedy all at once.

I'm certainly not one to heckle you on weight training! I was never a big fan of dumbbells and machines, although I forced myself to use them a couple of times a week. Only when I picked up a sledgehammer did weight training become fun. Just 15-20 minutes each morning, and I'm really bummed on days like this when my muscles are too sore for a proper hammer workout. I've got to finish writing that introductory guide...

Comment

I seem to have dropped below 158. I've been around 153 for a week, 151.4 today. I think the 150 mark is a symbolic victory mark for me. Psychologically I'd like to keep it under 150

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
            I've got to finish writing that introductory guide...
            Yeah dude, because you seem to really swear by it but when I did it for Muaythai I didn't think it was that awesome... but I'd definitely like to read your guide and maybe try it out myself. I think my dad's got a sledgehammer somewhere and I have some tires to potentially destroy.
            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Very impressive and motivating story!

You give me hope that I too can follow through and make this happen!

I am currently 6'4" and 300 pounds. The last time I saw my abs was 7 years and 75 pounds ago!

Thanks

Dave
              Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!

Comment

I'm a bit like Big Dave, but have been fat since the age of 8 or 9.

6'4" and 300 pounds. We bigger dudes hold it well, with a barrel chest.

I don't know how much weight I've lost, but over the last two years went from wear size 48/50" trousers to 40" soon to be 38". (Put on a ton of muscle)

I was wondering if you could give any info on your sagging skin, I'm younger, so I hope this won't be a problem for me, it is more elasticy now though... Also, stretch marks, they're a pain in my ass, and an ever reminding scar of my biggest days.

Comment

Weighed in at 149.0 today. That's the lowest I've been in a while. I do need to start weight training but have as yet to push myself to do it.

I'm scheduled to get the abdominoplasty on 10 May.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
                    I was wondering if you could give any info on your sagging skin, I'm younger, so I hope this won't be a problem for me, it is more elasticy now though... Also, stretch marks, they're a pain in my ass, and an ever reminding scar of my biggest days.
                    MattyD:

I started another thread here:
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...er-weight-loss where I posted a couple of pics. My dermatologist, a plastic surgeon and my vascular surgeon say it may tighten up 'a little' but an abdominoplasty is the only way to get rid of it. Adding more muscle actually makes it worse. Sorta sucks

Comment

One of my roommates had a friend over the other day and I heard him refer to me as "that skinny guy." I was quite pleased.

Comment

Awesome work.

"skinny guy"... well now that you hit that goal... it's time to aim for "jacked guy" or "ripped guy"

Get the surgery, recover, then start a good workout program. Couple of strength sessions, 1 sprint session and maybe even a day of yoga per week. Walk when you can and just enjoy the results.

(can start with just basic pushups, pullups, pike presses, single leg squats, lunges, planks... all at home with no equipment)

Comment

I'm not going to try to attribute this to primal living ... BUT I went to the eye doctor today for my first eye exam since I started the low carb / primal eating. My prescription power went down, for my left eye, by an entire unit. The Dr said that it is believed possible for it to change as glucose levels are lowered, but he didn't explain the mechanism.

Comment

On the down side ... I have had quite a few 'bad' foods this week and I'm up to 153, I had been holding at 149. Things I shouldn't have eaten ...

Francois Pralus Le 100% Criollo Dark Chocolate Bar
                            6 "lil smokies" with BBQ sauce
                            1 cup of salted smoked almonds (over a 3 day period)
                            and the worst part ...
                            4 bites of chocolate hazelnut cheesecake.

Comment

I posted some pics to the Facebook yesterday and the responses I got were:

Dear Mark,

Stop losing weight.

That is all....
                              Seriously. We get it, you are skinny and have crazy self-control. All right already! Eat some carbs.
                              I'm eating carb-loaded snacks for you right now. Seriously, you look unhealthy-skinny.
                              Do I REALLY look that bad now?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Kestrel, I think you look great! Many people are so unfamiliar with leanness that they mistake it for poor health, when it's just the opposite. You should be proud of what you've achieved, and don't be discouraged if some people are stunned and uncomfortable at first.

Next step: pump you up!

Comment

Working...
                                X