Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low carb-ing for a year to loose 100 lb.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So this weekend I tried adding more fat to my diet, I got some italian bacon stuff and fried it with some radish sprouts. It kinda did a number on my system. Did I mention I have no gallbladder?

About 2 years ago, I had gallstones and they tried to remove via ERCP but failed, and in the process caused pancreatitis which later caused it to rupture into pancreatic pseudocysts. My gallbladder was removed as well as part of my pancreas which had liquified itself.

Without a gallbladder, there is a limit to how much fat I can eat without causing me digestion problems. I guess I'll have to work out how much I can handle.

Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

Comment

Congratulations on your weight loss. You'll be amazed at the additional results you'll get now that you've gone primal.

I wanted to mention that I, too, have no gallbladder and that I went through a transition period when first going primal back in August '09. For a while I despaired that it wouldn't work for me, but over time my system evened out. Now, I can consume as much fat as I could possibly want -- pork bellies, butter on everything, coconut cream, etc. -- with no ill effects at all. During my transition time, it helped a lot if I popped a lecithin pill just before eating, but I no longer use them.

Comment

I went to see my doctor (GP) today and he was really impressed. He told me that he tells hundreds of patients they should loose weight, maybe 2 in 100 actually succeed. We discussed what I'd need to do to maintain and I told him I was wanting to do the paleo diet, which of course he'd never heard of. He said I should increase "whole grain carbs" a bit to maintain. But he did admit he had little experience with nutrition and referred me to a nutritionist. It's kinda amazing how little nutrition training MDs get considering what a profound effect on your health it makes. Anyway, he did a full blood workup, so hopefully I haven't done any damage to anything to loose the weight.

Comment

Got my bloodwork back, the Dr was 'pleased'. I asked him to run a T3 and T4 as well.

T4, Free 0.6

Total T3 52 ng/dL

Lipid Panel

Cholesterol 154 mg/dL

triglycerides 57 mg/dL

HDL cholesterol 42 mg/dL

LDL cholesterol 93 mg/dL

VLDL 11 mg/dL

TSH 3.28 UIU/mL

Comprehensive Metabolic

(non fasting)

NA+ 139 mmol/L

K+ 4.3 mmol/L

tCO2 27 mmol/L

CL- 103 mmol/L

GLU 82 mg/dL

CA 8.0 mg/dL

BUN 12 mg/dL

CRE 0.9 mg/dL

eGFR > 60 mL/min

ALP 71 U/L

ALT 23 U/L

AST 29 U/L

TBIL 0.6 mg/dL

ALB 3.9 g/dL

TP 6.9 g/dL

Comment

Holy smokes! Somehow I overlooked this topic until now. 300 pounds to 160?! Kestrel, you are my hero!

Regarding going from fat to rail-thin, my experience was similar. Before I lost weight, I probably looked reasonably strong, but it was almost all fat. When the fat dropped off I was one skinny dude underneath. I guess it just takes a lot more time to build muscle than it does to burn fat, especially when you're restricting calories to get your weight down.

Once you bounce off your low weight, the novelty of adding good weight begins. Kestrel, you and I are going to get pumped up for serious!

I dig your bloodwork. That's a nice low trig level and healthy cholesterol profile. But from your BUN number, I speculate that you could do with more protein in your diet. And don't believe your doctor when he says you need carbs to maintain body comp; in my case, at least, it's all about the fatty meats. Work those kidneys!

Comment

Yeah my herbalist told me I needed more protein too, but she could tell from looking at my finger nails. I do a scoop of protein in the morning and some sorta meat at night. Guess I need to add more in there.

The herbalist had told me to get the T3 / T4 tests done, and the T3 was a bit low, but my GP is a gastrointestinologist so is sending me to a endocrinologist for further tests to see if I have a thyroid condition. The GP felt, though, that I could have never lost the weight with a thyroid condition. I generally have to eat <900 cal a day to loose. The herbalist has me on seaweed for it. I&#39;m told that critter innards are good too, I just can&#39;t bring myself to eating organs. I came close to getting some blood sausages!

Comment

I watched the interviews in the bonus materials of Fat Head (fun flick) yesterday, and also I&#39;ve been reading Taubes and Getgaudas. The gist I&#39;m getting is that you can&#39;t absorb protein properly unless you eat the fat with it, and also have good vitamin A status (which eating the fat of grassfed animals apparently helps out with.) One of them (sorry, I forget which one) said that eating lean protein leaches the vitamin A right out of your liver, because A is needed to absorb protein. Someone also said that people with low thyroid have trouble converting beta carotene to vitamin A, so they need to eat the preformed (animal source) vitamin A.

Can you manage the saturated fat okay? Or might you need enzymes? Can you have cod liver oil?

Comment

piano-doctor-lady: I have started to take cod liver oil and have added some fats to my diet. When I started the diet, I was still under the impression that I could never loose weight if I ate fats. So the diet was pretty low fat, I only ate really lean chicken or turkey. I&#39;ve started cooking my veggies in butter, eating grass fed beef 2-3 times a week and then wild caught fish the rest. I have to say, the added fats has been a bit rough on my digestion. I don&#39;t have a gallbladder ya know!

The good news is that 2 years after loosing a chunk of my pancreas to pseudo cysts, I&#39;m not diabetic. I think if I went back to eating SAD I&#39;d be dead in 5 years.

Comment

So this is me today, just 2 weeks doing the primal thing. Guess not that much difference from the last pic.

Comment

Get your protein and fat up and start lifting. You&#39;ll start building muscle, but don&#39;t get in a hurry just let you body go at it&#39;s own pace. Keep the carbs at 100-150 grams per day for maintaining your weight. Congrats , you probably put several years onto your life.

Comment

Congratulations on your successful weight loss!

Eat right, exercise right & live right!

As mentioned, you probably added another 20 years to your life :-)

ZC - 100% Carnivore

I EAT VEGANS

Comment

Sounds like you&#39;re doing remarkably well, Kestrel, especially with the lack of a gall bladder. I think I read something today in "Primal Body, Primal Mind" saying that people without a gall bladder usually need to take enzymes to make up for it .... but hopefully you can manage it all, one way or another. If you do end up needing enzymes, no doubt you&#39;ll be able to figure out just what to take when, and matters should go a lot more easily for you.

I&#39;m impressed by your determination and capacity for working your plan.

I&#39;ll know that you&#39;re winning when your photos look less anxious, whatever shape you&#39;ve reached by then.

Even though I&#39;ve had very little progress on my goals (no aching in muscles, and fixed arthritis in knees, and a smaller front), once I got into Primal, I felt a difference within a few days. Even with the muscles still aching, underneath that I experienced a subtle, almost subliminal sense of bodily comfort, for the first time in a long while.

I hope you have the same feeling soon.

Comment

OK so you people say eat more fat, I got more fat. I got some rendered duck fat, butter and sausages! I cooked some greens in the duck fat and man were they tasty. Stomach is doing pretty good so far.

Comment

I saw the endocrinologist yesterday. He said that while my T3 was a bit low, he didn&#39;t think I had any thyroid issues. He was also a bit amazed with my bloodwork (see above) saying that he would have expected the (forget which one, ALB?) to be lower (malnourished) after having lost so much.

My weight was up a bit, 161, I had 3 glasses of wine sunday and that always seems to bloat me up. I&#39;m back down to 158 today, so I&#39;m thinking most of that is water retention.

I need to work on getting the last of the fat off me, but he said a good bit of it was loose skin and not a lot you can do about that short of surgery.

I did find out that they have a free YMCA on Treasure Island where I live so if I can get a gym buddy I think I&#39;d start going.

Comment

I went to see a Vascular Surgeon last week and discovered that I have and he diagnosed me with an abdominal hernia from where my gallbladder was taken out. He also said I could optionally get some loose belly skin taken off at the same time that I have left over from weight loss post surgery. I'm going to see the surgeon who removed my gallbladder and the tail of my pancreas to get her opinion. I'm sure she could fix the hernia, but I doubt she'd do the skin removal.

Perhaps I should start a new thread, but I wanted to see of other folks had issues with extra skin left after weight loss.

Comment

Working...
                                X