Pacing yourself while eating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacing yourself while eating

Anybody have some tips on how to pace yourself when eating a meal?

Thanks!

I have my own issues with horking down my food. Wish I could help but I'm a woofer too. :P

Comment

I'm the same. I find the kiddo tries to mimic my big bites which usually leaves him with a messy face/table area. So, that 'sometimes' helps.

Sadly, I just enjoy the taste of food too dang much!

Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Comment

Have a good cup of coffee with your meal.

Take a bite. Have some coffee. Take a bite. Have some more coffee. Talking a lot helps, too.

Comment

after every mouthful put the fork on the table.

Use a dessert fork.

Comment

Don't use this fork:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...k_manufacturer

Comment

@dragonmamma I always find that food ruins the taste of coffee, especially anything salty or acidic. Balsamic vinegar salad dressing is also terrible for coffee, so that rules out one of my daily meals.

I recommend a small glass of red wine, save the coffee until after.

Apparently I suck at life, so I'm crowd-sourcing my decisions, and sharing what I learn.

My fresh start in London

Comment

That works, too. Bite of food, sip of wine. Repeat.

I agree about the coffee and vinegar combo. Blegh!

Comment

What used to work for me was reading or doing something like a crossword or internet surfing. I'd have a bite, then go back to using my fingers on the puzzle or keyboard for a while. This worked better with salad type meals (if my fingers are getting dirty from picking up meat or stuff, I tend to want to just eat until I'm done - instead of cleaning my fingers a few dozen times!) Trying to do nothing while eating used to make me eat faster because I was bored.

Now I'm finding it easier to slow down by doing nothing else while eating.

So what I learned is that the same thing doesn't have to work all the time :-)

Comment

Use chopsticks. Chew more.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everybody. I will also think about Robb Wolf's advice: dont think of your mouth as a vacuum cleaner

Chopsticks! What a great idea.

Comment

haha! i love the onion. good link

Comment

[quote]

No matter how tender the steak, a European chews the piece a good deal as said, because he is in the chewing habit through being partly herbivorous, and because he has been admonished to chew. The uncivilized Eskimo has never had practice in herbivorous mastication and his mother has never told him to chew for the good of his health. So he gives the piece a bite or two, rolls it around in his mouth once or twice, and swallows. He will, of course, chew efficiently should the piece feel as though it might be too large or too hard to be gulped down. -- Vilhjalmur Stefansson, The Fat Of The Land (p98)</blockquote>

Seems we&#39;re in good company!

Comment

I used to do this all the time, and then before I knew it my meal was over before I really enjoyed what was there.

Heres what i do. As I&#39;m eating my meal I think about the animals/plants/various life forms that went into making it.

I think about the chickens who&#39;s eggs I&#39;m eating. i consider their day to day lives while I&#39;m chowing down. I try to appreciate their way of life and be thankful for what they have done to give me the meal. It&#39;s hard to scarf down the food when you are really really thinking about how thankful you are that some animal/plant provided it. I find that the more varied my meal the longer it takes. For example, a salad takes me a lot longer b/c with each bite i try to taste a particular part of it and be thankful that plant made the sacrifice to feed me. Be thankful for its death to allow me to survive. This really helps me to slow down

Comment

I find that if I eat with others this really helps me- I enjoy their company and able to therefore enjoy my food more if that makes sense- and I&#39;m so interested in them, the food takes less importance.

Comment

Working...
                              X