No announcement yet.

Kalli's Leptin Reset Experiment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my roller skates and THEY ARE AWESOME! And they totally kicked my ass. I remember skating around the block for HOURS and I went one subway stop in Prospect Park, took a rest, and skated back. But it was super fun! And I can feel it in my legs! Still not sore though!

I slept TERRIBLY last night, and I felt repulsed by food this morning. I felt like I had a brick in my stomach. I went to bed feeling like I had a brick in my stomach. And I am quite bloated -- when I went skating last night the compression of the skates created basically a ledge from where there was no skate compression to where there was. A ledge. A huge drop off. Now I have a big huge line on my arm where I carried my lunch bag and it's taking forever to go away. I've got lemon ginger tea brewing because I can't stomach anything else. What did I have to eat yesterday -- normal lovely breakfast, pate in endive and sauteed brussels sprouts with bacon ends, almonds (which I had given up, but I was STARVING), and then sardines with mustard for dinner. Brick. In. My. Stomach. I was reading another thread about bloating, and someone said that they had given up all dairy except for a little bit of butter and when they gave up that 2 days later the bloat dropped. So, I didn't take my Fancy Vitamins (which have powdered milk as an ingredient) and because I cannot stand the sight of food, I didn't have my normal breakfast fried in butter. In April I used coconut oil and grapeseed oil to fry things, so I'll try to find a coconut oil that doesn't have an overwhelming coconutty taste. (It, with the applewood smoked bacon gets a little too sweet. I know.) Any suggestions? I think Jarrow is not very coconutty tasting, maybe I'll grab a jar of that. So, for breakfast I had 2 avocadoes with lime and salt for breakfast because it was the only thing in the world I could ever imagine wanting to eat. I hope today doesn't suck because I felt to gross to eat my BAB.
    My Leptin Reset Journey

Current BF%: 35
    Goal BF%: 20-23

Comment

I hope you're not getting sick!

I have no suggestions regarding coconut oil. I use Spectrum brand and to me, it tastes coconutty - but I like coconut. Love it, actually.

I hope you feel better soon.
      Primal since March 5, 2012
      SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
        I hope you're not getting sick!

I have no suggestions regarding coconut oil. I use Spectrum brand and to me, it tastes coconutty - but I like coconut. Love it, actually.

I hope you feel better soon.
        Thanks! I hope I'm not getting sick either. I like coconutty taste when I eat the oil straight, and when I put it in my coffee, but not when it makes my savory breakfast sweet.

For lunch, I ordered a lamb burger (bunless) with roast fennel and a fried egg (I ordered it with pancetta, a roast apple, and kimchee too, but they forgot everything else). I don't know what they did to it, but now I'm dizzy, I feel a knot in my solar plexus, my heart is racing, and yet I'm extremely tired and sleepy. Man. I don't trust ANYONE to make my food.

Maybe I'll get a crock pot and make bone broth to heal up whatever is going on. UGH. I feel like I've been poisoned.
        Last edited by kalli889; 05-16-2012, 11:00 AM.
        My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

I've been reading PaleoBird's thread about portion control helping her out of a plateau (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29501-1.html)

Basically, the idea being that once you've trained your body to run on fat, if you feed it all the fat it needs, why would it ever pull fat from its' stores? And also that one might need MORE protein. So I calculated it out according to her measures, and I might need 120g ptn a day. I already don't get all that hungry for more than one meal with <50 g ptn at breakfast and high fat, but that one day where I had 62 g at breakfast seemed to really hit the spot. My calories are already down to the 1500ish zone (I supposed I could maniacally track), so maybe I'll reduce my fat (a smidgen) while bumping up my protein. Oh, and no dairy. And probably no onions. I don't think they like me.

Also, paleobird mentions there being a time in her early paleo/pb days when she could eat a tablespoon full of coconut oil. Now, no more. MamaGrok says the same thing about butter. I think I'm leveling off as far as fat goes. The first time I ate a tablespoon full of coconut oil was an accident. I had extra on the butter knife I'd used to scoop some into the pan I was using to fry eggs. Instead of putting the excess back into the jar, I licked in -- and my brain was like WHAT SORT OF MIRACLE IS THIS? I ate like a qtr to a half of a jar of coconut oil before I felt satisfied. Now? No way. I think my stocks are good. I can definitely tell when I overdo it. It's weird when what worked the week before becomes too much, but that probably just means that I'm not deficient anymore.
          My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

That's an interesting concept. I hadn't thought about that (the reaching our stores max with fats and what not).

I had thought about the whole reducing fat to eliminate fat once the body knows to use fat but, I would think that mark would have addressed this if that was the case. He would have said "Eat high fat, low carb now to switch the body. Then reduce fat and keep carbs low to burn fat off the body". But he didn't, so this makes me thing that PaleoBird's theory is incorrect. Certainly, that could be the rule for her, but I don't know that it would be proper for everyone. Certainly could be experimented with...

Comment

Spectrum also makes a refined version of their coconut oil.
              It doesn't taste like coconut. I use it to cook eggs and vegetables.

Comment

Look at my sleep!

sleepgraphmay16.jpg

Amazing. Let's do more of this. Total drop off until the morning hours. WHAT WOULD I FEEL LIKE IF I SLEPT LIKE THIS EVERY DAY?

I had zero dairy yesterday. I didn't eat dinner last night because I felt so ill. I woke up at 7:15 am this morning (not 6:30ish like the pic says) and I could have slept more. Possibly need more healing time? (Probable, esp. with dairy identified as a possible irritant.)

I had 3 chicken pesto sausages for breakfast, with sauerkraut and mustard. (63g ptn) I was in a rush and I'M OUT OF SARDINES so I just made 3 more for lunch, with sauerkraut, and I'll pick up a salad.

I have aches again (ankle, left shoulder) and I'm not waking without my alarm. Soon. Soon. The protein is for healing.
                My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

Originally posted by something4me View Post
                  Spectrum also makes a refined version of their coconut oil.
                  It doesn't taste like coconut. I use it to cook eggs and vegetables.
                  Oooh, thanks!
                  My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

I can't see your graphs... are you using the little picture icon above the text box or are you "attaching" them? Attaching has never worked for me, but inserting a picture always has.

Comment

I can't see your graphs... are you using the little picture icon above the text box or are you "attaching" them? Attaching has never worked for me, but inserting a picture always has.
                      I click the "Insert Image" link and then I upload it. HMMM...
                      My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

Hmmm... that's odd.

Comment

Hmmm... that's odd.
                          It says "Attachment pending approval.". Maybe they're just making sure I don't post dirty pictures or something.
                          My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

I had that once when I did it a different way... and then I discovered anohter way that does it without the pending approval part b/c I've never seen any of them actually GET approved... The way I do it is like this:

Click Insert Image above the text box.
                            On the insert image screen, first, make sure you're on the "from computer" tab, then "select image".
                            I find my image, double click it.
                            Then upload.

Sorry if that's the way you're doing it and it's not working right... Just to test...

Garmin.jpg

Comment

Yup. That's exactly what I'm doing, and your pic shows "Pending Approval." Hmmm.

Breakfast: 2 chicken sausages (42 g ptn), 2 pcs bacon (8 g ptn), and one egg (6 g ptn). 56 g ptn. And sauerkraut with caraway seeds (meh, ok). Mango black tea with a tbsp of coconut oil. For lunch I brought 3 chicken sausages and 5 c sauteed kale (63 g ptn).

Sleep was ok. Not the best. Woke with aches and pains. Had a tbsp of honey and a mug of NATURAL CALM (400 mg of mag). My chicken sausages have sheep's milk cheese in them, so that might be a factor. I'm up to 179, my waist went back up to 40" (now 39") and that concerns me. On one hand, I feel better. Nice, even keel all the time. I'm hungry for breakfast and lunch and not hungry for dinner. I had broccoli and avocadoes yesterday for dinner.

I got down to 173 straight PB, but now I'm putting on weight. What was I doing differently? Was still eating 50+ g ptn within a half hour of waking. Didn't eat after 4pm though. Now, I've been eating as late as 9p if I miss dinner or if I get home and I'm hungry. I can go back to a 4pm cutoff time. (Basically, the don't-eat-four-hours-before-bed-thing). I was snacking on almond butter and berries. So if I bring a lunch and a dinner-if-I-want-it (maybe a good time to invest in a protein shake?) then I'd be prepared if I needed/wanted dinner. Wasn't having caffeine -- now I am. Okay, back off caffeine. I started eating butter on LR. Ok, no dairy. I have chicken pesto sausages to last me until the end of the month (sheep's milk dairy), and then I'll have to find an easy, high-protein replacement. Need to do more walking. 3-5 hrs of walking. I had margaritas right before I started the LR and last wknd I had a glass of wine. Ok, no alcohol. This is good.

Last night a friend from out of town invited me out for drinks, and I said I could meet him at 7:30. (Glass of wine then off to bed?) Then he asked if we could push back to 10p bc he was going to dinner with a producer, and I said I had to be in bed by 9:30, which I did do! Yay me. He invited me out for breakfast, but mornings have been a trial AND I have to eat within 30 mins. So, next time. LR cheating averted.

LS symptoms:
                              *feeling calm/sleepy
                              *warmth after eating
                              *warmer in general

Still waiting on:
                              *falling asleep easily
                              *sleeping deeply
                              *waking before alarm
                              *weight loss

I have a month to a month and a half (my first week was totes thrown off by TOM). So it's only been two weeks. Ok, I'm patient. I guess what's annoying is I've started acting classes again, and I want to audition but I'm 40 lbs over my last auditioning weight. That takes me from "leading lady" to "quirky friend/young mother". Meh. Whatever.

UPDATE:

We ordered Cuban food for lunch today, so I had pulled pork with green sauce and some baby shrimp...and some (4?) pieces of fried plantain. I'm SO FULL. I should have stopped eating midway through the pulled pork, but it was so delicious! So I have kale and sausages for dinner tonight...or breakfast tomorrow.

DOUBLE UPDATE:

Been reading eck's Primal Journal (I'd link, but I just closed the tab), and he says that when he stops eating early, his sleep is light-years better. I'll try that tonight. Meeting a friend at 6:30, I'll try for bed at 9pm. (I must be the only girl in New York City who goes to bed at 9.)
                              Last edited by kalli889; 05-18-2012, 10:35 AM. Reason: spelling
                              My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

I was reading up on Hypothyroidism today: Hypothyroidism - diagnosis of - DoctorMyhill

That's basically pre-Primal me to a T, but a lot of the symptoms have gone away with PB. That's good to think about! Progress, not perfection.
                                My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

Working...
                                X