No announcement yet.

Kalli's Leptin Reset Experiment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like your enthusiasm. I find myself going through the same process with supplemental foods in terms of ingredients, cost, and taste.

Comment

• I forgot about the whole "no snacking" thing in LR. (She writes as she eats a packet of almond butter.)

One thing that I'm seeing in these fitspo accounts is that they put up funny cartoons about dreaming about food, or wanting or thinking about food. For me, and this is just for me, if I eat enough fat, I forget that food exists and if it is right in front of me and I am not hungry, it looks as appealing as a doorknob.

I have a fasting triglyceride and cholesterol test tomorrow at TEN THIRTY AM. That means no LR BAB. I'll probably bring a shake with me for RIGHT AFTER THE TEST. I'm not concerned, because my blood pressure was the bomb dot com!

I had a banana with my shake this morning. I should probably switch to avocados to get my carbs down. I might do an NK/LR combo here. Have to play around with sample days in MFP to get a good plan. Would have to figure out how to get enough fat without dairy.

As for egg protein options, I could just put 8 eggs, as you said, in a morning shake. Then I'd be like Rocky! I could put organic cocoa powder and cinnamon stevia in with my almond milk. Or I could soak dates for sweetness. (Hey everyone! Silk Almond Milk doesn't have carrageenan in it!). The local Dillon's had Christopher Premium Select 660mg of Omega-3 eggs for $2.50/doz. (Note to self: switch from CorOmega back to OmegaBrite ASAP).

Eggology also said they do whole egg and egg yolk only jars. HMMMM...how many servings of egg yolk only would I need to get 50g of ptn? Probably too many to be worth it.

Feeling good today! Had a fever and aches the past few days from vaccine side effects. But feeling pretty awesome today!
      My Leptin Reset Journey

Current BF%: 35
      Goal BF%: 20-23

Comment

• I can do a 70% fat / 20% ptn / 10% carb split using avocados, coconut oil, almond butter, and deviled eggs for fats!

I did a sample HFLC BAB whole egg shake: 8 eggs, Silk unsweetened almond milk, Justin's Maple Almond Butter, an avocado, a tbsp of Dagoba organic cocoa (or cacao, if you wish), and cinnamon stevia to taste. I'm thinking of adding maca powder too. Adaptogenics all around! Yay! I would be SO FULL eating this. OMG.

I'll try it after I get paid to see if it is a) delicious, or b) heinous. I'll also look around then to see if I can score Eggology around here...

It is nice to see the scale in a downward trend, and to feel my pants and shorts a bit looser. Always a panic when the scale goes up, up, up. Nice to remind oneself of what works!
        My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

• I have a weird aftertaste. Protein powder? Banana, which I never eat?

In other news, it's been 5 hours since I had breakfast, and I'm nowhere near hungry. Have to finish eating by 7 to be in LR.
          My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

• I'm thinking of buying Insanity and starting that when my body heals my plantar fasciitis. This woman I know did one of the infomercials, and she started out slender and ended up totally cut! I don't want to get huge up top, like cross-fitters seem to get. We'll see...
            My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

• I wish putting on muscle was as easy as women think it is

It takes quite a lot of work and time to do that and more for a woman. Plus, as far as I know, women have less androgen receptors in their upper body as well which is why push-ups and pull-ups are so much more difficult for women because you're not physically made to have that kind of strength or size in your upper bodies.

A woman's body is geared more towards a strong lower body.

The point: do whatever exercises or programs you want to do and do them without worry of "bulking up" even if you're training the same way a guy trains.

Comment

• Some women DO bulk up more easily than other women. I have really wide shoulders, and I love to climb but it makes my shoulders even wider and then I have to go UP a size in shirts, and I have had HUGE quads before from doing leg presses, and I don't want them again, thanks!

In other news, the co-op has NOW chocolate flavored egg protein, I'll try that next, and then I'll try the 8-egg version.
                My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

• Cacao is allowed on Whole30. So I could do a Whole30 LR if I make my own mayo for deviled eggs and do whole-egg (with a banana and without stevia) shakes. Self-guinea-pig time?

Jenn26point2 always loses 10 lbs/month on Whole30!
                  My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

• OR, I could not stress out about it all that much and just use the egg powder. Because...texture, man. Texture.

I saw this girl on NerdFitness who power lifts. Her name is Staci, and she can deadlift THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN POUNDS. Maybe I was eating too much before when I was climbing and lifting. I didn't eat sugar, but I ate dairy with lactaid tablets, and I ate wheat all the time. Kashi everything. So I could have had a thick layer of pudge on top of my muscle. HMMM! Three hundred and fifteen pound deadlift? Is that a challenge????

I think it is.

Dear Self: Eat more food now.
                    My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

• My fasting triglyceride and cholesterol test at 10:30am was a piece of cake, because hey! Fat adaptation!

What a breeze. Had some almond butter and a plum afterward, just to be safe...
                      My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

• One of the dangers of looking at IG fitspo accounts is the pictures of mug cakes they post. (Little cakes made in a mug, then zapped in a microwave.). I wouldn't think about or care for cake if I didn't see it all the time. Maybe time to delete those accounts, and follow more Paleo foodie ones.
                        My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

• One of my goals for LR is to heal my plantar fasciitis and knee pain once and for all!

Today I was gifted a sweet pair of Earth sandals and they are sooooo comfy. I don't know that I want to wear anything else ever again, besides Danskos! (And Dansko makes cute strappy slides with the clog bottom, VERY comfortable!)

PF only a minor irritation today. Didn't notice it upon waking, but I did notice it a little on my walk to and from my doctors appointment. In strict LR, I shouldn't work out until all pain is gone. All the protein goes to repair what stress/injury there already is. Perhaps some daily Earthing? Just sitting out on the patio in the AM with some tea? Oooh, I'd love some Earl Grey.
                          My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

• The Leptin Rx Easy Start Guide:

http://www.jackkruse.com/easy-start-guide/

You know, I had forgotten that he talks about doing a Leptin Reset in an 18-24 month window. Granted, he was 325-ish pounds at 6'2" when he started, but I don't think my thinking was ever that long term. He also recommends 50-70g of protein at breakfast, with sub-50g of carbs a day for the merely overweight and sub-25g for the obese (basically, keto). So, no more bananas, and lets bring on the avocados! My banana in my shake this morning puts me at 37g of carbs.

With protein powder, I could hit 70g, but probably not with eggs! Too many eggs. I was a little full this am from my protein powder - almond milk - banana shake.

PF is minor, still a few twinges and pulsing in my heels.

Jack Kruse recommends that women start lifting after 2-3 weeks. Weeks! Can I wait that long? I may have to go on really long walks in the morning.

So if I'm doing LR for 18-24 months, then I won't be done until March 2015 to September 2015. Wow, ok.

This also shows me how/why some of those really ripped women on IG are still craving carbs, feeling tired/depleted (high cortisol from overtraining), even though they look amazing.

Maybe I'll TRY an egg shake, just to see what it's like. Texture...hmmm...
                            Last edited by kalli889; 09-04-2013, 10:59 AM.
                            My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

• Texture with eggs should be thick and creamy. Does he cite any research for his reason behind women waiting up to 3 weeks before lifting? Sounds kinda wonky. I'd just start lifting.

I generally avoid fruit just because of how quickly the carbs add up, especially with bananas. Today was a higher carb day for me though because of lifting. I kept the fat rather low to keep my calories in check and protein was close to 1g per lb of body weight.

I hope you don't mind me chiming in on your journal.

Comment

• Not at all!

I'm sure he's linked to studies on it, but basically overweight and chronic pain are indicators of chronic inflammation that one can tell without getting a CRP test. I guess it's to give one a healing time, as if you add another stressor on top of already chronic stress and inflammation, you're going to up your cortisol levels. He also tells people to do their own n=1 experiments on themselves. I know from prior experience that LR works for me, and improves my energy, mood, and sleep even without a workout.

I'm sticking to a 20-minute interval workout that leaves me feeling good afterwards. I'll add on top of that as time progresses. I think I'm already in a pretty good place, inflammation-wise. I'm overweight, yes, but my chronic pain is decreasing.

I, personally, do better with high fat low carb (sub 20 carbs). When I did that my thinking was clear and positive. It's hard to get as many fats as I would like without having dairy, but dairy has a negative impact on my skin and my cycle. So I have delicious meat fats, avocados, coconut oil, and nut butters. NK is good for nervous disorders (seizure disorder, bipolar, depression, ADD) and I have major depressive disorder, so fats are WHAT IS UP. If I start cross-fitting I'll up my protein, but I seem to be okay with current levels.

Creamy, you say, for these egg shakes? We'll see...
                                My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

Working...
                                X