No announcement yet.

Kalli's Leptin Reset Experiment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have always wondered how natural "natural flavors" are... if they're so natural, tell me what they are, ya know? Hopefully you feel better soon.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• I want to write about support today, and about allowing others the dignity of their own choices. I'm feeling a lot of sadness about the relationships I have in which I feel my choices are not respected. I am doing what I can to heal my body, to improve my mood (which, if not managed properly, can be debilitating to the point where I am non-functional), and to make my life better. This means I eat a lot of meat. And bacon. And it also means I don't eat sugar or wheat.

I have some friends who always feel the need to comment on what I'm eating. Or, if I'm feeling down, they'll ask me if I want to bake brownies, even they know I don't eat brownies. I once lived with a boyfriend who had a meltdown one Easter because I had asked that we not bring sugar into the house. We were at the grocery store and he got so upset because he didn't know what to do for me for Easter, and he felt like I was ruining HIS Easter. Because he couldn't get me an Easter basket. HIS Easter. I said, "Why don't you get me a nice card and flowers?"

I'm feeling avoidant of people who comment or who try to force sugar or wheat on me. Or who always give it to me or offer it to me, even though I've stated repeatedly that I don't want it. When that happens, I feel like whatever it is they're doing, it's not REALLY because they want to "treat" me or do something nice for me. If they genuinely wanted to do something nice for me, they would consider ME. It feels more like they want me to stay a certain way, and so they are behaving in ways that look like they are being thoughtful. I said to a friend the other day that I didn't want cake, brownies or cupcakes for my birthday, and she said that we could always go running afterwards, and I was like it's not even about that!
      It's not even about weight! It's about my entire health and well-being! It's about me being capable and whole in the world. It's about me choosing to eat certain things and to not eat certain things and having that be OKAY.

Man. A few years ago I lost a ton of weight and a friend of mine kept saying things like, "You look like you're wasting away to nothing" or "You might blow away in a strong wind." I had a lot of muscle on me -- I could do pull-ups and pushups, and I went bouldering at the gym all the time. (You HAVE to eat to climb. If you don't eat, you can't climb. It just doesn't happen. You pop off the wall.) So that was really annoying, and sad. It was like she wasn't comfortable with me being a different way. We're still friendly, but I wouldn't say that we're good friends. With her, it feels like everything I do sets her off -- she finds reasons to be angry with me. So I just let her do her thing. Now I've put the weight back on, but I don't want to go through that again.

I went out to dinner with a friend recently. We went to GustOrganics, which I wrote about. I am SO appreciative of this friend. When we were in college, I was a vegetarian, and whenever we went out or met up for lunch, she always made sure that there were options that were good for me. I don't think I fully realized how important that was. Now that I eat meat and vegetables, she finds places with organic, grass-fed meats. I love it. I love her. That is so kind, considerate, and respectful. Then I met up with my college friend two nights ago, and he wanted to get a cheese plate. He LOVES cheese, so much that he has his favorite cheese from his favorite cheese shop in Los Angeles Fedexed to him on occasion. I said I wasn't eating dairy (go me!) and he was perfectly cool with it. NO CHEESE PEER PRESSURE! (He did ask me if I was on a special diet, and I said, no, I've just been paying attention to what makes me feel and perform best. And that was good enough. I think it's better if you just say that, and then they can't attack your "weird food thing" for being a "weird food thing".)

So anyway. I'm feeling sad about not getting support in some areas, but I am VERY HAPPY AND GRATEFUL to have support where I do have it.
      My Leptin Reset Journey

Current BF%: 35
      Goal BF%: 20-23

Comment

• Great post! I like your response to why you don't eat dairy. I'm going to steal it and use it myself.

I eat what makes me feel and perform the best.

Great. Love it. Thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
          Great post! I like your response to why you don't eat dairy. I'm going to steal it and use it myself.

I eat what makes me feel and perform the best.

Great. Love it. Thank you.
          Also, can I just say that I deeply appreciate the support I find here? It's PRICELESS. It really keeps me sane and grounded.
          My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

• So I didn't have egg protein this morning, and I still have a headache. I had some espresso this morning, in case it was caffeine withdrawal. I felt a little better, but now I have a headache again. I've had a headache for about a week now, barring a lovely 12 hours post-acupuncture. Waaaah. Imma check the boards, see if this has happened to anyone else.

UPDATE

I've been reading boards, and people have been getting headaches from all kinds of things. I did have sugar and alcohol during my birthday weekend, so I'm kind of thinking it's carb withdrawal. MEH. I have to go through this AGAIN! But I have no carb cravings! Which is nice. If that's what it is. Guess I'll just take aspirin. It's not dehydration, because I drink water all day. Oy vey.
            Last edited by kalli889; 06-14-2012, 11:21 AM.
            My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

• Okay, so it's official. PB/Paleo living has brought back my interest in the opposite sex. I hadn't dated IN A YEAR (seriously) and I really didn't notice! On my birthday weekend I went on TWO DATES with TWO different people. I was talking to this personal chef on the phone that we might work with at the office, and he was really nice and awesome on the phone, and I was like oooh, I wonder if he's single! Seriously. Haven't dated in a year. Didn't notice. Something's adjusting hormone-wise! I'm back in the world of the living!
              My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

• I lost another inch off my thighs! I started at 24.5", I think, then I was at 23.5" for a while, and this morning I checked and all measurements stayed the same except for my thighs, which are now 22.5"! Small victories! I don't even want to get on a scale -- now I'm paranoid about the scale. Maybe when I drop another size, I'll check. I just prefer inches as a measurement of progress over weight. Weight can fluctuate so easily, especially with me. I remember one New Year's Eve, I put on 7 lbs of water weight from having NYE drinks. Then you can put on muscle, which is smaller than fat. So yeah. Inches. All about measurements.
                My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

• I wanted to thank you Kalli-your journal helped convince me to try the reset. I'm doing well on it and wanted you to know that you have inspired others.

Comment

• Originally posted by tanstaafl View Post
                    I wanted to thank you Kalli-your journal helped convince me to try the reset. I'm doing well on it and wanted you to know that you have inspired others.
                    That's why I keep reading her journal! She inspires me daily!

Congrats on the inch lost! That's awesome!

My interest in the opposite sex is still minimal and I'm married! EEK! Try explaining to your husband that it's not him, it's me b/c I don't want ANY guy. lol

Comment

• Originally posted by tanstaafl View Post
                      I wanted to thank you Kalli-your journal helped convince me to try the reset. I'm doing well on it and wanted you to know that you have inspired others.
                      Oh, thank you so much for your kind words! It's helped me a great deal, and I might stick with the BAB...forever! Who knows. :-)
                      My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

• Great post about friends and their response to what you are eating. I think it's really about respect. Good for you at standing your ground.

You are spot on about inches over pounds.

Are you still taking gelatin at night? If so, do you think it helps you sleep?

Comment

• I'm interested in the gelatin too. I picked some up from the store, poured a whole bottle of strawberry extract in it, and some strawberries and bananas and it was positively gross. How do you use it?

Comment

• I take a tablespoon or two of gelatin in the morning mixed with my green juice powder. I was taking it with my fancy vitamins, but I think the dairy eventually overrides their benefits -- I need to swap my jar. I haven't taken gelatin at night in a while, but I can start. The things that have had the biggest impact on my sleep quality: (1) no eating after 4pm, and (2) no dairy. (Even goat dairy. I know.) With those two things I have been falling asleep quickly and I HAVEN'T BEEN WAKING UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, WHICH IS A MIRACLE OF HEAVEN. I'll try taking it before bed tonight and for the next few days and see what happens. I could stand to wake up earlier.

When I take it before bed, I just mix a tbsp in a glass of water and chug it down. I don't try to make it taste good. I just throw it down the hatch, and fast. So. Yeah.

Also, thanks everyone for your words of support! I really appreciate it, and it spurs me to keep writing about my progress! ((Hugs!))
                            My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

• Stats time!

4/8/12................6/16/12
                              Waist at BB: 40".....................37.5" (-2.5)
                              Waist: 32".....................30" (-2)
                              Hips: 42".....................42" (0)
                              Thigh: 24.5"..................22.5" (-2)
                              Calf: 14.5"..................13.5" (-1)
                              Chest: 34"....................32" (-2)
                              Bust: 38"....................36" (-2)
                              Upper Arm: 13"....................12.5" (-.5)

Lost more inches last night! 12" total if my math is correct! I'll track this more (forgot to take gelatin before bed).
                              My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

• Aaaaaaand...sadness. Just ate a pint of blueberries. They made me sleepy. So I over ate some watermelon. I think this is my first overeating experience in 2.5 months! Watermelon. Ok. Well. Now I know.
                                My Leptin Reset Journey

Comment

Working...
                                X