Seasonal Allergies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seasonal Allergies

the acacia and grasses are starting to bloom and I am tired and sneezy--has PB helped with your allergies? I have been lowcarb for a long time, but am wondering if eating primally might change my constant allergic fatigue and nasal symptoms--

Ouis,

My allergies went away about two days after I stopped eating wheat. Your mileage may vary, but I think you'll be amazed what a difference PB makes.

:-D

Comment

Could be, but I eat unpasteurized local honey. It helps to build up your immunity against local pollens etc.

You only need about a tsp a day so it shouldn't hurt your carb values.

I have BAD allergies and notice if I'm not taking honey, I got tired of taking OTC medications, so someone suggested this years ago, I'll never go back.

SW: 235
      CW:220
      Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
      Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
      Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
      Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

yah--haven't eaten wheat in years--I have avoided honey for the usual carby reasons--maybe I should try it--I am already miserable and it is only February!

Comment

Full paleo/primal and I've ditched 35 years of horrid seasonal allergies! No more Claratin!

Comment

Primal eating pretty much made my allergies disappear, except for they have come back slightly in the past couple weeks. I've noticed some stuffiness if I drink or eat out with friends. This may be more of a gluten sensitivity that I never realized before PB. Some things that may help if you feel your allergies beginning to creep up are Apple cider vinegar with water in the morning and tea with a small bit of local raw honey before bed. A Netti pot is also a good no med alternative, if you do get sinus congestion or stuffiness.

Comment

I have been 18 months illness free. I was 100% primal from June 09 to September 09 and then slowly fell off the wagon, a percentage a week it seemed. By Xmas I was drinking much more than ever. January I decided to fall back into being primal 100%. Stuck with it for at least 3 weeks and was doing much better until the last week I started doing lots of HIIT workouts. Stepping back on those a bit, I noticed I was getting more tired and lethargic. Still grain free, I seemed to be sneaking in some alcohol (beer/wine--homemade).

I started doing more lifting at less durations and took a week off of HIIT and just did regular cardio a few days with lifting. Things seemed cool. Then my wife (9 months pregnant, not primal) decides to bring home once a day baked goods and leave them on the counter. Of course my will power is like the size of a lady bug, I start snacking on them. 2 or 3 a day, especially in the late evening, a few hours after primal eating.

This lasted a week, then I asked her not to do that and I would make some date bars, etc. Thursday evening last week I went to bed late. Friday morning I was so congested and sore in my sinuses. All weekend I've been miserable. Post nasal drip took it into my throat then into my chest and I had to bail on working out. I walked the dogs 3 days in a row at least.

Saturday I realized it may have been the dairy and crap food and had to stop-- even the wine/beer. I am really paying for it now. Hoping to get better.

I will note that I have suffered for almost 30 years of allergies, and would be sick for weeks every Feb-April and then again in September-November. I don't know if it's the climate here that could have triggered such an auto immune response like this, but I am still miserable. Could one week of this way of snacking cause this? Who knows. I spent last 3 days really strict in my diet and trying to rest. Sleeping is miserable...

http://sweat.danmerk.com

Comment

I'm only on week three, so maybe eating primal will do the trick, but I always got honey from a local farmer and added 1 tsp a day to my tea. After about a week it would kick in and I wouldn't have any allergies.

I'm curious to see if just diet can change that. I'm almost positive I'm not "allergic" to wheat though.

Sometimes I think it's mental though. I've seen allergy commercials and felt like sneezing before!

Comment

My life long allergies (ragweed)disappeared this past fall. That alone is worth the price of admission for me.

Comment

OK, so my autoimmune response became so unbearable that I had to resort to a MD. I was asked to take Zyrtec and Singulair for serious fluids in my lungs and esophagus. I was kind of miffed because this was something that I dealt with for years every Feb-March and then again in Sept-November. Yet last year for some reason I never experienced being like this at all. In Feb of 09 I was not primal at all, but I had been doing P90X and was eating so well except for soymilk and whole wheat bread. In Sept I was primal so that may have prevented it then.

The only thing that bothers me is that I can not imagine a few evenings of having a cookie with my wife and a few extra beers or glasses of wine would cause me to kick into such a massive allergic reaction to where my lungs filled up with fluids. I get that many have kicked their meds for GERD and allergies, but I've been reviewing my nutritional worksheets which I am pretty honest with and I can say that I am still eating primal. Feb workouts were less than perfect with me doing a bit more cardio doing Insanity.

Perhaps there are people that indeed have auto immune issues and changing their diets cause them to respond better than before. I can say that with just a few days of this I am already feeling better. Sure it's assisted by some meds I don't want to be on, but I can tell you that having a few pieces of cheese and a few cookies did not cause this. Since last week, I am dairy free and still wheat/corn/soy free.

Comment

There's a time and place for modern meds. Sounds like you hit your spot.

Could just be that your area is having an extra dose of allergens for whatever reasons?

But glad you're taking care of yourself.

I am on that as soon as I cut out dairy, all of my stuffiness/allergy-ness seems to have cleared up.

Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Comment

If you truly have seasonal, pollen, etc allergies there is not a whole lot you can do. Allergies will improve with a PB lifestyle, but won't necessarily go away so don't freak out if they still bother you.

When I changed my lifestyle, my allergies improved but they are still around. However, my asthma disappeared completely after 39 years. I do still have to get allergy shots once/week but putting allergens into my system is much better than loading it up with chemicals.

http://sterlingadvice.blogspot.com
                        http://teambeachbody.com/coachster
                        sterlingpurdy@gmail.com

Comment

Awesome. Here I was thinking I was messed up because I was really trying hard with this lifestyle. I am recovering from this auto immune response. One thing I did notice, when I used to get this way, it was way worse and I would ALWAYS get an infection in my sinuses. My MD said that I was not dealing with an infection at all. So with this compromised immune system, I still have not caught the seasonal "common cold virus" that I once dealt with my entire life.

Comment

Ouis, thanks for starting this thread!!!

kuno1chi, Sterling, Acmebike, jostle and others, can I ask what your allergies were to if you didn't already mention above?

I have been wondering about primal eating/ asthma and allergies for my daughter, who is 5. She is allergic to grass seasonally and then also cats. She was just diagnosed with full asthma (cough variant) the week before last. My husband and I have been pretty much primal since last August. My daughter eats what we do at home (plus she eats more "substitute" kinds of things such as "bread" out of almond flour) but then has occasional stuff like cake at birthday parties, an occasional burger with bun, etc. She is probably more like 70/30 than 80/20 primal.

I think that this past summer her grass allergies were slightly better, and that was just when we were eating less wheat (I seem to be sensitive, although not fully allergic) before going primal. I am hopeful for her allergies this year. But, haven't seen any change in the asthma stuff and I'm wondering if it would happen if we cut out even more of her "treat" stuff.

Thanks, everyone for your comments and sharing. I have tried the honey thing for her before, but not lately. I don't know if it would be applicable since she's more grasses than pollen.

Wendy

Comment

bump

Comment

Working...
                              X