Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tim_1522 View Post
    But don't do it until the summer, eh?
    I think that's the carbohydrate dingus. I don't know which season sardines fall. Maybe, she'll fill us in on that....
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

I like Wal Mart sardines and berries.

Comment

Yes. I use mostly grocery store bought food... I do try to buy organic / grass fed when I can.

/Steven
        Check Out My Blog: The Exercise Rebel
        Check Out My Primal Success Story on Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

Another online place you can buy from is Grass Fed Beef I just got my first order from them a couple of days ago. I got it in two days, packed nicely with dry ice. I even added on a 3lb sirloin tip roast for $20 which was cheaper for a grass fed sirloin tip roast than I could find anywhere else. Free shipping is awesome. It doesn't take a lot of freezer space. Then again, I have a huge freezer. Whole Foods is pretty expensive for meat. I'll keep buying ground beef online for $6.50/lb or so over paying for it at Whole Foods. Heck, 90% of what is in a Whole Foods is not really any "better" than food from Wal-Mart in my opinion. It's still processed crap.

I live a budgeted lifestyle. That said, I'm also single, debt free and have very few financial obligations. The best I can estimate this early on, it's a minimal increase in expense for me. If I was buying all organic AND still eating out, well, no, no way could I do that. I was spending around $400-$500/month eating out at restaurants/fast food ala "Fat Head" style and another $150/month at Sam's Club for processed protein bars, beef jerky and chicken wings. So, for this first month, I've budgeted $150/week for groceries (not including what I spent to buy somewhat in bulk from Rain Crow Ranch). I was under budget last week which is surprising since I'm trying to figure out what I like, what I can cook, and how to plan since I'm not reaching for an Atkins bar when I need a snack anymore. A good chunk of my expense so far has been on a variety of nuts out of the bins at WF's. There are cheaper selections that I could live with, but, for example, I like Macadamia nuts (which are nearly $12/lb for example).

Buy what you can. Hell, I lost over 140lbs eating steak and ground beef from Wal-Mart and Sam's, and frying Tyson chicken wings in a fry daddy almost daily. Was it the healthiest? No, it wasn't, but that wasn't just the food's fault. I've also lived off of boiled eggs, bacon and tuna. Minus condiments, that was it too. The Angus stuff at Sam's is still grain fed, but it's better than eating something processed out the yang. Add in what you can that is grass fed when you can, and if you can't, you can't.

If I was on a strict budget, this is what I'd do (and to a large degree, have done in my life):

1) I'd buy Nuts/Lettuce/Produce in bulk and primarily from some place like Sam's Club or Costco. I would also look there for canned salmon and tuna and buy that since it's most likely not farm raised. It doesn't taste the best, but learn to like it. If I was on a very tight budget, canned salmon and tuna would be the bulk of my grocery expense. Also, I'd buy a frozen package of Salmon and one of those huge tube packs of ground beef. Then repackage the ground beef and freeze it. These are going to be farmed/grain fed and NOT ideal AT ALL but the salmon is going to be OK every so often. I have a package in my freezer right now actually. Sam's also has some really delicious and fruity cold pressed olive oil that is like $12 for a HUGE bottle.

2) I'd look to Whole Foods for stuff like full fat greek yogurt (Fage is usually 3 for $4, and the lowfat crap is 4 for $4 at Wal-Mart), Coconut Oil (can get it cheaper if you have an Asian store nearby), and any organic condiments I might want. I'd also splurge for a package of frozen fish, which at the cheapest would be about $5 per fillet if it was in the budget.

3) Don't rule out Wal-Mart. I was out of town longer than I thought I'd be earlier this week and was faced with either not eating or trying to scrape by with Wal-Mart and a hotel with no microwave. I bought a container of organic lettuce for like $4 (could have spent half for the regular stuff), 2 cans of canned salmon for like $2/each, a can of cheapo olives for like $1.50, a couple bell peppers, and a good sized package of blackberries that I'll be eating on for a while and I walked out of there about $20 later and survived for another couple of days along with nuts I had from home. With access to what I had at home, that $20 could have been spread over several more meals. I always travel with olive oil, tupperware and plastic utensils so I was good to go.

I would also look to Sams/Costco/Wal-Mart for bulk frozen vegetables and fruits. Frozen is dirt cheap and usually has more nutrition left in it than the stuff that has been traveling on a truck for days. I could do this lifestyle on $125/month if I ever had to, and not eat out once. It would consist of eggs, canned tuna/salmon, a small amount of regular ground beef, 2 for $3 packs of salad mix and heads of lettuce and frozen fruits/vegetables. All of that would be largely hormone/antibiotic free except for the ground beef. If my budget was more strict than that, I'd do eggs, canned tuna, frozen vegetables and get creative with spices!

You do NOT have to do Whole Foods. I'm probably 80% "organic" and I don't do Whole Foods for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Catharsis View Post

3) Don't rule out Wal-Mart.
            Oh, I absolutely rule out Wal-Mart for anything and everything. I will not shop there on principle.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnivara View Post
              Oh, I absolutely rule out Wal-Mart for anything and everything. I will not shop there on principle.
              The only time I went back to Wal-Mart was because my former employer gave me $20 to spend via gift cards.... Other than that, I'm trying to remove it, from my memory. I don't know if Target is becoming another Wal-Mart, but it looks like it to me.
              If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

I go to my local hispanic produce wich is super cheap!

Comment

Working...
                X