Do you have that ripped, Grok body?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have that ripped, Grok body?

How many of you have actually achieved that ripped, lean look(ala Mark). If so, how long did it take and did you pretty much just follow the PB? thanks

Got it.

Been primal for going on 6 months now. Started fairly lean and got really lean. Photo of where I started -- I was still mostly vegan at this point -- eek!: http://inthenightlife.blogspot.com/2...-year-one.html

My compliance is quite a bit better than 80/20. More like 98%. I suspect that this is necessary to get ripped, as opposed to just reaching a perfectly acceptable, but not striking, body composition.

And, I get a bit more physical activity than the PB's minimums:

Mark recommends at least 3-5 hours of "moving slowly" per week; I get at least 10 hours, often more like 15 or 20.

I lift heavy 2x per week, do sprints/metcon 2x per week, do "gymnastics" (bodyweight, etc) 2x per week, and rest/play 2x per week. (Yes, that is an 8-day week.)

I try hard to get plenty of sleep, use my brain, minimize stress, get adequate sunlight, and all those other important PB components that we don't discuss as much as nutrition and exercise.

In short, I think the PB totally works, but for really stellar results, you have to put in more than than minimums.
    Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 04-06-2010, 06:19 PM.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

I was lean and cut, once, at age 52. Two scant years ago. (Following a Weston Price type diet, long-distance cycling, and Crossfit 4x/week, doing strength training and metcons.)

But I overtrained and broke. It was a LOT of work to get 'ripped'---as ripped as a 50-something woman can get without 'roids.

Here's something worth noting: If you look at the photos in Price's NUTRITION AND PHYSICAL DEGENERATION, or the photos in THE OLD WAY by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas (of the !Kung bushmen in the 1950s), you will not see the ripped, chiseled physiques we associate with Grok.

You will not see obese people, either.

I think neither Grok nor hunter-gatherers spent much time looking in mirrors or admiring each other's bodies. I think what mattered more was functionality: could the male hunt? (Walk, fasting, for 2 or 3 days at a time? Track the beasts? Carry home the carcass?) Could the female walk for miles, dig out deep roots or gather nuts and carry home 40 pounds of forage as well as 1 or 2 children on her body?

Just sayin'.

I agree with Barbey Girl that it takes considerably more work --FOR MOST PEOPLE--than the minimum to get 'ripped.' I was dedicated to that end, once. Now I'd settle for being able to hike, carry a pack, scramble over a hill or rock or two, and still enjoy myself doing it.

Sooze

Comment

Started off in pretty good shape and have made significant improvements in ~9 months.

At about 11%bf now but to get into the single digits, it's going to take more than the 80/20 as stated above.

I'd say if you stuck to it 100% for a year (depending on where you start), you'd be a new man

Comment

I'm probably as lean as Grok, but I could use some more muscle on me.

I'm 5'8'' at 117 lbs and ~9% body fat.

Comment

I'm not looking to be ripped but I will say that after 6 weeks on PB with about 98% compliance, wow- I think I look fabulous. I do work out, but not chronically like in the past. I would say I have more a Playboy Mag physique than Bodybuilder Mag physique, without the airbrushing of course, because I'm a real person, but that's fine with me. I'll take it.

Comment

I weight in around 140 lbs at 5'8'' with ~7% BF.

I must admit I have always been lean regardless of food intake, but I have been primal for almost a year and have remained at said body fat the whole time without discomfort.

Comment

im 5`6, 128 lbs and around 15%BF... i have been the same for years now but i went from skinnyfat to strong and lean in about a year after starting evfit (marks blog wasnt around then). Ive been gaining muscle continuously since then.

challenge yourself
                i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Nope. Been Primal for 8 months now. Followed WAPF diet before that for a year. It's a guestimate as to my body fat, but probably somewhere in the 36%-48% range.

Comment

I think being ripped is more a modern goal, don't think Grok or modern hunter gatherers in general are ripped.

Comment

Nah. I'd say I'm average, but healthy. For example, I'm still soft in the typical female areas, but the unhealthy "belly fat" around my waistline has been shrinking steadily. Which is great. It's not just an aesthetic improvement; it's a good indicator of health.

"I think neither Grok nor hunter-gatherers spent much time looking in mirrors or admiring each other's bodies. I think what mattered more was functionality: could the male hunt? (Walk, fasting, for 2 or 3 days at a time? Track the beasts? Carry home the carcass?) Could the female walk for miles, dig out deep roots or gather nuts and carry home 40 pounds of forage as well as 1 or 2 children on her body?"

True.

Basically, I eat nutritious food and make sure I'm capable of functional fitness (I can walk a looooong distance to the shops, carry bags of groceries, and sprint after the bus if need be!!). That's all I worry about anymore. I won't be ripped from this by any means, but I believe my body will be where it's naturally meant to be... that's a happy medium for me.

(sorry, silly question: how exactly do you integrate quotes in a post? the coding confuses me a little)

Comment

Nope. I'm not ripped.

But I've been unemployed x 7 months, and have had to make some serious economic adjustments to my diet/lifestyle.

I have to buy grocery store meat right now, but take fish oil and Vit D3. Had to freeze my gym membership-but take two hour walks every day, and sprint in the park. I buy my veggies and eggs at the Farmers' Market twice a week. I have a torn Meniscus in my left knee which hurts sometimes; can't get it repaired until I'm working/have insurance again.

Ripped? No. But I am maintaining...and SO much healthier than I was. It's a journey...

Comment

Getting ripped is not my goal.

Manipulating my genetic expression for optimal health is my goal.

If that includes a ripped body after being obese for over a decade (ha ha for real?), I doubt I will complain.

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
                          —Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

I started out like this-

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=164459839& albumID=210639&imageID=612358#a=210639&i=612948

But now I'm leaner.....the only thing is that I have lost some mass...about 10lb. (41 years @ 5'11 at 175lb now)

I work out most days.....cardio/lifting.

I do not eat dairy/wheat.

Comment

I think I've achieved the goal of a Grok body. I saw an ex last week, and he told me I look like a "gazelle". Not sure what that means but I think they are pretty lean

However--for me, anyways--I SUPER DISAGREE that you have to approximate close to 100% compliance with the PB in order to achieve the best results. Sometimes I'm not even at 80%!!! More like 50!!! And that has given me the best results.

Here's why--truly, the mind is the most important part of any weight loss effort. And for me, when I am overly restrictive, my mind gets "sticky" with cravings.

Example: On weeks when I'm being super primal, I still have a small bowl of coconut milk ice cream, some tea, and maybe a truffle or two. (Not saying everyone should do that so leave me alone! lol) Sometimes my desert is a little better, like coconut ice cream and fruit.

I find, that by allowing myself that indulgence every evening, my mind relaxes and I'm able to stick with the blueprint.

Whereas, if I do not allow myself that treat every day, then I wrestle with cravings for it all week, and the cravings come in the morning, and pop up during the day, and at night all I want is that damn ice cream! But I am determined not to have it....and this usually culminates in me eating a huge sickeningly sweet dessert by the end of the week and feeling like crap.

Also for, having a desert at night with some good sugars and fats helps me sleep better for some reason.

Another example: While on the PB, every few days I will have a day when I need "extra fuel" and my stomach is telling me that protein and fats are not cutting it. So thats when I order some bread with my salad, or eat the rice in my Thai curry. And I don't feel bad at all. I incorporate slow, mindful eating and I listen to the signals my body is sending me.

Finally, while traveling I am more lenient on the PB plan--yes, I eat the spaghetti! I don't get all you weirdos that say, oh I'll never have it because I know I'll feel sick afterwards, as though it's a bomb and not a baguette.--Just teasing. I like to try the local cuisine when I travel, so for one meal of the day I may have a non PB based option. I eat slowly, try to get in good fats with the grains, and know that I'll never regret sampling an amazing bolognese pasta or a to-die-for piroshki.

I don't know why I felt so compelled to post about this. Perhaps it's because I used to be brainwashed by an all-or-nothing mentality when dieting. For most people, it's the worst thing you can do. And you don't need it for the best results.

Comment

Working...
                              X