Primal Nerds!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Owly View Post
    I gave up WoW for grad school. My geek side has had to take a back seat to my nerd side for the last couple of years.
    You're not missing much. Everything after LK has been pretty bleh. Hell, at least Pally healing was somewhat interesting after LK but then they jacked that up in Dragon Soul by turning us into raid heals. F' that. Most people I know have quit, and I only raid one day a week down from 4-6 back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by canio6 View Post
      You're not missing much. Everything after LK has been pretty bleh. Hell, at least Pally healing was somewhat interesting after LK but then they jacked that up in Dragon Soul by turning us into raid heals. F' that. Most people I know have quit, and I only raid one day a week down from 4-6 back in the day.
      Yeah, I played some LK content, have a couple of toons at 85 (including a pally) but I can't afford the time sink of it. I get distracted enough as it is.
      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
        Yeah, I played some LK content, have a couple of toons at 85 (including a pally) but I can't afford the time sink of it. I get distracted enough as it is.
        Understandable. Though you can gear lamely fast by running the 3 new 5 mans (takes maybe an hour total for all 3 probably less) and DS can easily be cleared in one raid night. Hell, you can do a looking for raid group and down the first 4 bosses in about 45 minutes (less if people do not keep dropping out, going AFK etc). Not trying to lure you back. It's just rather sad how easy it has gotten.

Comment

WoW was a major sore point for my wife... Other games she doesn't mind me playing as much... but that one drives her nuts for some reason. Played for a few years on Dragonmaw as a Druid Tank... Occasionally miss it But really not that much. I never could dedicate the time to Raids so while I led a large guild we were very casual fun players.

As for other geekishness - I'm more of a Fantasy geek than a SciFi geek. Books, Movies, Games (RPG) all of it.
          I am working my way through Dr. Who, Firefly and a few other more sci-fi series - which are awesome!
          I also like Anime (One Piece is my favorite... I love Pirates in general...). Fun to have so many primal geeks here!
          ~It's All Relative!~
          34 - 5'11" CW - 159 GW - 175 10% BF or less!

Primal Journal
          Fitness Blog - Instagram
          Join me on Fitocracy

Comment

Originally posted by Corvidae View Post
            I played for 3.5 years, pretty seriously, but not anymore. I was on Tichondrius, but your server name sounds familiar, were you in my battlegroup?
            Never played there. I raid though I'm taking a break right now. My character names are always "nameless-something" hehe. My main is namelesshunt...a hunter. I also have a character on a PvP server because it's East Coast and a bunch of guildies of ours (boyfriend runs our guild on Shadowsong) jumped over with us, but I keep getting bored leveling and abandoning it. I also REALLY don't like PvP, but maybe just 'cause I'm terrible at it.
            Depression Lies

Comment

I played Magic: The Gathering for a few years in HS, haven't really picked it back up since 8th edition. Play Munchkin more often than I care to admit. Diablo dork; Geek's a StarCrafter; we've both been gaming widow(er)s and we're both perfectly fine by it. Never have liked MMORPGs.
              Watch anime, not as much as I want (Ergo Proxy rocked!) Recently picked up watching Big Bang Theory and realized my favorite character is the one the "normals" would classify as the most annoying.
              My heart and soul of nerddom (aside from my career) are my books. Sci fi, fantasy, textbooks, trade journals, graphic novels... yeah...
              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
              My Latest Journal

Comment

Naiadknight, me too on the books, especially these days. If I'm not reading thesis-related books/journal articles, then I tend to read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy as escapism. We also play a lot of board and card games with friends because it's a good way to hang out and do something together that's fun but still allows for good conversation.

I don't have television (we have a TV, but it's for playing Rockband and watching Netflix), so I miss a lot of the new shows, but friends of ours just loaned me the first season of Big Bang Theory because they say I will love it.

And oh, M:TG. I haven't played in ages (like about 14 years...). Good times.
                “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I think WoW basically went downhill after WotLK. I wasted so much time on that stupid game. I tried finding a replacement, but then the kids came along and now I have no time.

I LOVE Firefly, it's one of my favorites. I only have a tv for netflix also, but I would love some recommendations on shows similar to Firefly.

Comment

Yeah I stopped WoW cause of gradschool, and then kept away from it because I decided I wanted to do awesome things in reality. Luckily, primal finally brought me the health, strength, and vigor to make being a hero in real life more possible (which will eventually be the connecting theme in my success story, once I start drafting it )

I do miss it, though. I miss the art and music and story, which is odd because I played with a group of serious raiders and high ranked PvP people who played it as a numbers game more than not. I was a hunter, and had a blue raptor named Curacao from level 17 all the way through 80, and some of my fondest memories of the game were being out with her in the middle of nowhere, hunting things for skins or quests, listening to the music and writing narrative about the whole thing in my head as I went along.

My character name, incidentally, was Corvidae. (all my secondary characters had bird-themed names too)
                    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

Anybody play Worldsaway on compuserve? That was the first massively multiplayer thing I played........ I never played WoW because gaming was escapism from other people =D

Morrowind is still my favorite game of all time. My character had HOBBIES in Morrowind and I finally killed the disk from overplaying. Looking forward to Kingdoms of Amalur (Ken Ralston was involved with that one) when I finish playing New Vegas.

I <3 big bang theory. Hubby's a NASA physics nerd, I'm the neuro/genetics/evol nerd and there's always something for everybody!
                      Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
                      Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
                      "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

River Song and Amelia Pond. 'Nuffield said. If you don't know them yet, you will.

Awesomeness

Btw, check out nerdfit

Originally posted by
                        I [I
                        am[/I] working my way through Dr. Who, Firefly and a few other more sci-fi series - which are awesome!
                        I also like Anime (One Piece is my favorite... I love Pirates in general...). Fun to have so many primal geeks here!

Comment

I just discovered Portandia this week. Actually went to school with an IFC exec................... yeah, Allergy Pride, pretty hilarious.
                          OTOH Portland wasn't *nearly* so pretentious in the mid 90s, and I didn't encounter that many "dream of the 90's" people either. But then, I was macrobiotic.

Comment

Haha oh Amelia Pond...I want to like her, but it wasn't until like the last episode she appeared in last season that I could tolerate her. Just kind of unbelievably stupid, frequently.

I saw "Fright Night" just for David Tennant as a goth. It was teh hotness even if he had a bit of a gut. I need to look up videos of him speaking in his natural Scottish accent (more teh hotness).

I didn't play WoW with any regularity until 2010, and hadn't been lvl 80 for long before Cataclysm came out. I LOVE what Cataclysm brought to the table, and the subsequent patches. I'm happy that leveling is a lot faster now and I still go back to complete quests even when I don't get experience for it (but I do get achievements hehe) because they've been really revamped. I'm not sure how I feel about Mists of Panderia, there are going to be a LOT of Pandas running around, but they are totally redoing the talent trees and it looks like it's going to be pretty cool (VERY customizable, no more set "best" builds).

Please tell me Bethesda will come out with some kind of Skyrim DLC. I need it.
                            Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                              Please tell me Bethesda will come out with some kind of Skyrim DLC. I need it.
                              I've heard rumors of it, but nothing official. They have with it's predecessors, to my memory, so this should be no different.
                              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                              My Latest Journal

Comment

So far I haven't even used many mods in Skyrim... Although lately I've been so busy doing other things (like reading this board!!) I haven't even PLAYED it. Sad.

I saw a video a while back with some stuff the devs came up during a week of playing around with the creation tool near when the game came out - they came out with some amazing stuff! Here's a link: Possible Skyrim DLC or Mods from DICE 2012 Keynote - YouTube!

I like a few of those! I wish I had the time and patience to make mods.
                                ~It's All Relative!~
                                34 - 5'11" CW - 159 GW - 175 10% BF or less!

Primal Journal
                                Fitness Blog - Instagram
                                Join me on Fitocracy

Comment

Working...
                                X