No announcement yet.

Primal pet chatter =)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nope not a spammer but one of the mods apparently assumed I was. Guess I won't be posting any pics of my kitties after all, lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonefrontranger View Post
      nope not a spammer but one of the mods apparently assumed I was. Guess I won't be posting any pics of my kitties after all, lol.
      Oh that is weird.

Comment

• here you go Ayla2010, the admin gave me back the text of my post that was deleted. I'll refrain from adding pics for now as that seems to be a trigger.

Hi there, we have 2 cats that we have been raw feeding 2-3x / day. The older one (3 years) is an inveterate bolter and he will puke if he eats too fast, OR if his food is served too cold.

We started splitting his meals into smaller portions and making sure they were served slightly warmed up. It's a small pain in the ass but we feed a VERY expensive commercial frozen raw (RadCat) and want to make sure he's getting it all in.

It is incredibly worth it to us. Our 3 year old is a feral/rescued Ragdoll and was several pounds overweight with severe periodontal resorption when we got him at (only!) 18 months old. His teeth were so bad we had to have 8 of them removed; on a not even fully grown cat. it took us MONTHS to wean him off kibble and get him to accept raw food as "food", but now that we've got him fully transitioned, his weight is beautifully under control, and his teeth are vastly improved. Also he doesn't vomit hairballs multiple times/week. I have not seen him chuck a hairball for months now.

We recently got a Birman kitten as a companion for him and he has been raw fed from day 1. His breeder did prey model raw (meaning, she rolls her own) but we are too concerned with making sure we give the boys the proper ratios of vital nutrients like taurine and calcium to do our own prey model. We do give them a couple raw chicken wings and/or necks per week as a "treat", which they love.

Both cats are thriving, and both are lush longhairs. They rarely-to-never hairball. I give them a raw egg yolk periodically as the egg contains enzymes and natural "lubricants" to help break up and pass the hair thru the GI tract. One of the other major benefits of 100% raw feeding is the small / non-smelly litterbox volume (properly fed cats with efficient GI tracts digest almost all their food thus leave WAY less poo in the litterbox).

We do not feed any form of kibble, whether it's "raw/grain-free" or not. It's all got some kind of starchy vegetable carb as it's next to impossible to form kibble without a binder/bulk ingredient to do so. Our boys are both vital, lean, muscular, thriving shiny balls of energy. The 3-year-old, who was a lazy, borderline obese, carb/kibble-addicted catloaf when we adopted him, is now as active and playful as our 8 month old kitten.

Comment

• Way to go on keeping your pets healthy
          Def even grain free commercial food is no good, due to being cooked, plus the fillers.
          Our animals love their raw food

Comment

• I am still trying to find a source of baby rabbits for my pets.
            You can buy frozen at the pet shops but they so hugely expensive. I really would like to give them the occasional whole animal like that.
            ooh I just remembered where there is some place I can get that stuff, so will go check it out tomorrow.

I feed my dogs once a day, and they get a chicken carcass or lamb bones, lamb shanks, or chicken necks.
            I give it to them frozen (its summer right now), and they spend ages gnawing through it.

I give my cats raw minced kangaroo (human quality of course), chunky beef (don't give as often), quail (unfortunately gutted and no head), I got a mix of chicken and lambs fry minced up too, as well as chicken and chicken carcass.
            I vary their food each day, the cats get 2 meals a day. They also get the odd can of sardines (again human quality).

The dogs sometimes pick at what the cats leave. And also the dogs sometimes eat veg or meat our children drop.

Comment

• Hahaha my dog has been primal longer than me!

photo2 - Copy.jpg

Fed Raw since a week after adoption

Comment

• Hey friends,

I had to stop feeding my cat raw because she kept throwing up. I think it was a combination of the meat going bad (I guess I didn't refreeze it quickly enough after thawing the frozen chicken necks/backs from Whole Foods) and eating too fast. She stopped eating altogether at one point so I gave up for a while. Now she's 14 lbs (up from 13 last year)! She's very happy, healthy, but just went for a check up and has gingivitis and tartar on her rear molars.

If I give her some raw bones to gnaw on, such as chicken thigh bones, and add a little raw food into her dry food from now on, do you think that will help get rid of the teeth issues? We really cannot afford to get her teeth cleaned at the vet =\
                Depression Lies

Comment

• Do not give any pet chicken bones! they splinter too easy and can cause choking if they swallow the pieces.

Comment

• Raw bones are perfectly safe for animals to chew on. They do not splinter. They are in fact somewhat bendy.
                    Depression Lies

Comment

• Chicken bones do split badly. I give my dogs the ends of the bone + cartilage, the dog bites the bone off while I hold it in my hand. And sometimes i have to take parts of the bone back from the dog when I see that it is too sharp. Luckily my dogs would give away their food if I ask for it.

Comment

• Yes, but bird bones have different structure than cow bones, perhaps something to do with the fact that they have to be lightweight for flying and still be strong.

Comment

• Hi all. I just adopted a one year old shepherd/hound mix and he is SKIN-NY! He's on Blue Buffalo Wilderness now (who knows what he was getting at the shelter), but he actually lost a little bit of weight in the week since we've had him. We're giving 3 cups/day of the Blue Buffalo (the recommended portion size for a 60lb dog - he's about 55lbs), but the vet is recommending upping that to 4 temporarily to help him gain. That just seems like a LOT of dry food. I don't want to go full raw with him right now, but I feel like adding some raw stuff might be a little easier on his stomach than upping the dry so much. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comment

• I don't see any harm with mixing raw with the dry, or using some grain-free wet food in addition to the dry. Wet food is usually good for gaining. I mix canned food with some raw for my cat. She's overweight, but slowly losing. I am not exclusively raw-feeding her because I want to insure she's getting enough nutrients (so I figure the canned food probably helps as a kind of multi-vitamin).
                            Depression Lies

Comment

• Our border collie/lab mix (approx. 55 lbs) will sometimes eat as much as 4 cups per day without any problems. He also has days where he'll only eat 2. We keep food out for him so he determines how much he eats per day.

We also feed the Blue Wilderness grain free.
                              My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82833.html

Comment

• If you want to feed kibble & raw its best to feed separately (ie kibble for breakfast/raw for dinner) since kibble & raw meat digest at different rates so feeding together can cause digestion issues (at least from what I understand)
                                Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                                X