Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal pet chatter =)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • She WAS indoor/outdoor. Now she's indoor and I cannot change that if I want her to live with me (land lady's stipulation).

    We don't have butchers here. Or if we do, I don't know where to find them. Don't they also need liver and stuff? I've looked into raw feeding and honestly find it incredibly confusing. I have no idea how much I'd need to feed her.

    I will cut back on the kibble & pick up some chicken necks and livers this week to see if I can manage it in terms of feeding schedule, prep, and cost. I'll probably have to cut it all up, since she usually ignores the larger pieces. I'll have to work her up to that, once she knows she loves this stuff.

    I spend about $25 feeding her every month, and that's if the food isn't on sale or I buy something different than usual. I'm right about to run out of kibble, so maybe now is a good time to start experimenting.
    Depression Lies

    Comment


    • Raw Meaty Bones
      this website might help, but there is lots of info I know its hard. But its just like us, eating until they are satisfied. You have to work out what type of meat your cat likes best. Liver and stuff is good, but mine wont eat it. Chicken necks or other things with bones are good when you can get them (i get quail sometimes). You may even be able to buy frozen mice/baby ducks/rabbits etc that your cat would love (whole so with organs and stuff)
      Good luck with it

      Comment


      • I fed her some chicken liver last night (one liver, seemed like a good amount, about mouse-sized) with some kibble sprinkled around it. She ate very slowly, first avoiding the liver, then licking t he juice, then eating the pieces. She came back to the plate a few times over the course of an hour to finish it all off. This morning, I cut up some chicken thigh (1/2 a thigh, seemed like about the same amount) and sprinkled less kibble on it. She ate it all before I left for work! Now I just need to get a small kitchen scale so I can make sure I'm feeding her about 3% of her ideal body weight in ounces. The vet said Fae should be at 11 lbs for her next visit (in May) so I'm using that as the goal.

        She's super whiny (follows me around, meow a lot, watches me) when I am prepping things in the kitchen. I don't know if she's hungry or just begging.
        Depression Lies

        Comment


        • Prob just begging, cos she has got the taste for the good stuff
          Good luck with the transition.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
            I fed her some chicken liver last night (one liver, seemed like a good amount, about mouse-sized) with some kibble sprinkled around it. She ate very slowly, first avoiding the liver, then licking t he juice, then eating the pieces. She came back to the plate a few times over the course of an hour to finish it all off. This morning, I cut up some chicken thigh (1/2 a thigh, seemed like about the same amount) and sprinkled less kibble on it. She ate it all before I left for work! Now I just need to get a small kitchen scale so I can make sure I'm feeding her about 3% of her ideal body weight in ounces. The vet said Fae should be at 11 lbs for her next visit (in May) so I'm using that as the goal.

            She's super whiny (follows me around, meow a lot, watches me) when I am prepping things in the kitchen. I don't know if she's hungry or just begging.
            i've read through your posts. you definitely need to try to eliminate the kibble. since i have a diabetic, i haven't bought it in years! after switching all 3 of my cats to wet food, all of them slimmed down (it does take time with cats though). the whining is most likely because she's hungry. it takes time for them to adjust. it's just like when we cut out bad carbs...it takes a while until we aren't hungry all the time.

            just to clarify, are you feeding her 3% of 11 pounds? if my calculations are correct, that's 33 ounces. that's way too much! most adult cats (regardless of size) only need about 6 - 8 ounces/day. i feed my younger cat 6 ounces/day and my diabetic (that weighs 10 pounds) gets 6.5 ounces per day.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by chloesadie View Post
              just to clarify, are you feeding her 3% of 11 pounds? if my calculations are correct, that's 33 ounces. that's way too much! most adult cats (regardless of size) only need about 6 - 8 ounces/day. i feed my younger cat 6 ounces/day and my diabetic (that weighs 10 pounds) gets 6.5 ounces per day.
              Your calculations are not correct. 33 oz is over 2 pounds which is not even close to 3% of 11 pounds. 3% of 11 pounds is a touch over 5 ounces.

              Comment


              • No, 3% of her weight in ounces per day. Assuming I want her to be 11 lbs, that means 5.28 oz per day. I'm going to swipe my mom's digital kitchen scale so I can calculate better.

                She doesn't whine after she's eaten everything, so I think she's getting enough now.
                Depression Lies

                Comment


                • It's only been a few days that I've been doing this, but I didn't have to put any kibble on the chopped chicken thigh meat today! She ate it all within 10 minutes, never leaving the plate. She already seems much more energetic and willing to cuddle. It used to be that she would only cuddle with me, and hesitantly at that (it would take a lot of coaxing). Now she'll cuddle on my boyfriend or me, and it doesn't take much to get her to come over. I was playing with a string last night and her reaction time is much faster as well. She's acting much more like the huntress she's supposed to be, when provoked.

                  I'm very excited to see what other changes may develop as we continue. I am going to pick up those frozen "pet food" meat packs at Whole Foods today so I don't have to keep cutting up chicken thighs that were supposed to be for us . I'll have to rely on that for now since I can't grind bones. I have some unused fish oil capsules that I will drizzle on her food occasionally, as well, and several weeks of liver meals already frozen, since she only needs those about once a week. I got a digital kitchen scale and my estimates for food amounts have been spot on.

                  One thing I need to clarify is how much fat she should get. I haven't been trimming it and thighs are pretty fatty.
                  Depression Lies

                  Comment


                  • that is great
                    Don't worry about quantities, my experience with this type of eating over commercial pet foods, is that mine don't over eat. If they empty the bowl and are waiting around I give more.
                    I wouldn't overly worry about the fat, just give all the bits Are the frozen pet meats just different types of meat?
                    I like to give mine a variety, they do love kangaroo. Also tinned sardines, I just drain off the juice, and they love them.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                      that is great
                      Don't worry about quantities, my experience with this type of eating over commercial pet foods, is that mine don't over eat. If they empty the bowl and are waiting around I give more.
                      I wouldn't overly worry about the fat, just give all the bits Are the frozen pet meats just different types of meat?
                      I like to give mine a variety, they do love kangaroo. Also tinned sardines, I just drain off the juice, and they love them.
                      The frozen meat is ground up chicken necks and some other chicken parts. It's labelled as "pet food". I'm not sure if it includes bones, but if it does, that will be a good way to get some into her diet.

                      The only times I've given her fish, her dander has gotten really flaky after, so I'm avoiding fish for now. I may try human-grade tinned fish at some point though.
                      Depression Lies

                      Comment


                      • oh that is interesting about the fish, was that human quality fish or pet food?
                        oh the ground up bone will be good, if you can't get her to chew on a chicken neck, eventually she will once you try a few different things hopefully. The chewing action is what is important, but ground up bone is still good

                        Comment


                        • The fish was pet food. It had some corn in it, not the best ingredients.
                          Depression Lies

                          Comment


                          • sardines in olive oil are good..... At least according to my dogs.
                            Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

                            http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by DinoHunter View Post
                              sardines in olive oil are good..... At least according to my dogs.
                              Yes this is what I use too
                              Def try human grade and see how your cat does.

                              Comment


                              • I posted this elsewhere thought the pet owners might be interested.

                                BBC News - Dog evolved 'on the waste dump'

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X