No announcement yet.

Primal pet chatter =)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I have a pet bird, not a dog or a cat. My poor bird is obese now and I think possibly even getting diabetes because I'm always catching her either eating or drinking.

I have tried my best to put her on a diet to no avail. It turns out the problem I have with my bird is that we don't lock our birds up (we have two big birds) so they are free to raid each other's food. My bird spends all her time eating the other bird's nuts and seeds and our other bird raids my bird's fruit!

I tried locking my bird up in her cage but she fits through some of the bars. So this weekend we plugged up the places she can fit through the bars and she's on a prison diet now. She's on lock-down. She now has access only to her own food.

The trouble with birds is it is hard to know what a species-appropriate diet is. There's not a lot of research into what every species of bird eats. I found pictures of wild Aratinga acuticaudatas eating mangos. Were they raiding a mango farm or were these in their natural habitat? What else besides fruit should they eat? What about her highly specialized-looking sharp and pointy beak? What is that needle-sharp tip for? Tearing flesh from carrion? Opening some kind of special nut or seed? I wish I knew.

Anyway, I'm hoping her prison diet will help shrink her fat blobs for now.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• popped in for the pictures i dont have any primal pets...yet!

keep the pictures coming! you all have very adorable animals

Comment

• Hey,
        So, I'm popping back in on a more professional note. In my "free time" and in the "real world" I'm actually a freelance author and journalist. I'm interested in writing and publishing a book on primal eating for dogs and I'd love it if I could send a couple of you guys some interview questions for some content in my book. Specifically, I'm looking for before and after stories of people who switched to a primal diet, or anecdotal evidence from people who have been feeding their animals primal for quite some time. If you're interested, please send me a PM. I have just four or five simple questions and I'm willing to either cite your answers in the book or to keep your answers anonymous, however you wish. Thanks so much for your time.
        I'm also hoping to get some answers from some dog food companies about their use of grains and carb-heavy foods so we'll see if that actually happens.
        Oh, and my name is Patrie Davis and I do have a website here if you want to check me out and see if I'm legitimate or not. Thanks so much for all the help in advance. Let's see if we can make the primal movement bigger than it already is!
        "Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself of much life. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something." ~ H.D. Thoreau

Comment

• Hey all, I could use some tips on feeding my cat. Currently, she lives with another cat & a dog at my parents' house and they don't have the time or energy to feed her a grain-free diet, or a proper amount at proper times. She was 13 lb at her check-in last year when I got her shots updated and she's due for a couple annual shots this visit as well. I am pretty sure she is heavier than she was last year, at this point. I do not live at my parents house and I am thinking of (money willing) taking her to see if I can get her a bit trimmer. It was very sad seeing her struggling up the stairs when I was there the other day

Foods I'm looking at, because raw is out of the question budget/time-wise right now
          -EVO
          -Blue Buffalo
          -Before Grain

Questions I have:
          -Wet or dry or both? She will eat either, but currently eats dry except on special occasions (or when my mom runs out and has to pop open a can of tuna)
          -How long should I make the transition from her regular Trader Joe's dry food to 100% grain-free food? I know I should not switch her over cold turkey to avoid digestive issues, and I can take some food from my mom's supply to supplement the transition, but I'm not sure how long I should be mixing and how slowly I should be increasing/decreasing each type of food.
          -I plan on feeding her 2x daily instead of leaving dry food out all day, which is what's being done now. Is this an okay plan even if I give her grain-free dry food? I think she's pretty used to nibbling all day, but will eat wet food in one go.
          -How much food should I give her for wet or dry?

This will all help me figure out how much it will cost to feed her every month and determine if I can make this work. Thank you!
          Depression Lies

Comment

• Each of those dry foods should have recommended serving sizes based on the weight of the cat. You can probably find the info online but if not, it's on the packaging for sure. As far as the transition, I've always allowed a couple weeks to fully switch. Doing a couple days each of 75/25 old/new, 50/50 old/new and 75/25 old/new. I've never had any serious digestion issues making the transition that way.

For point of reference, I feed my 2 8lb girls EVO, almost exclusively dry (one gets wet on occasion, the other refuses it). A large bag of EVO costs me about $46 and lasts me at LEAST 2 months. I'm finding they don't eat the full recommended serving so I'm trying to cut back how much I give them at a meal. I'm tired of throwing food away.

Comment

• We just took our cat to the vet for a checkup last week. He is eight years old and weighs 14.1 lbs. We have been feeding him dry grain-free food for several months with no weight loss. The vet said we should feed him only wet food with the least amount of carbs and fillers. It's too soon to see if he is losing weight. I thought the grain-free would help, but not for him.

Comment

• We have two cats, one younger and very active, the other a bit older and under the delusion that she has servants.

I've been feeding them dry Blue Wilderness and they absolutely love it. Actually, the neighbor tomcat has decided we have a better selection than at HIS home and I've had to put the fear of Rita in him so he doesn't eat it all. So... the flavor is definitely good.

Anyway, we leave the dry Blue Wilderness out all day, then feed them a small amount of either tuna in water or a grain-free canned cat food once or twice a day. The wet food is mostly because the older cat doesn't really drink much water.
                Durp.

Comment

• i have a quick question re; raw foods

how many times a week should i give my guys liver? (chicken, turkey. beef? pig?) they like it, i like that they like it, but i don't know how often they should get that without getting vit A poisoning or something
                  beautiful
                  yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                  lol

Comment

• Originally posted by sidewinder View Post
                    For point of reference, I feed my 2 8lb girls EVO, almost exclusively dry (one gets wet on occasion, the other refuses it). A large bag of EVO costs me about $46 and lasts me at LEAST 2 months. I'm finding they don't eat the full recommended serving so I'm trying to cut back how much I give them at a meal. I'm tired of throwing food away.
                    That cost is promising! I couldn't find the serving size info and bag sizes (just weights) online so was having trouble figuring out how long a bag of dry might last us. $46 for even one month would be great.

Originally posted by something4me View Post
                    We just took our cat to the vet for a checkup last week. He is eight years old and weighs 14.1 lbs. We have been feeding him dry grain-free food for several months with no weight loss. The vet said we should feed him only wet food with the least amount of carbs and fillers. It's too soon to see if he is losing weight. I thought the grain-free would help, but not for him.
                    I forgot to mention the cat in question is around 9 yrs old. She is fairly inactive, but is an indoor/outdoor cat and will hunt. If I bring her to my apartment, she has to remain indoors. I'm also worried about what you mentioned, that dry food might not help, but I guess it'll take some experimenting to see if it's just a portion control issue or if just eliminating grains helps. She was not this fat when we got her around 1.5 yrs old!
                    Depression Lies

Comment

• OK I have just started reading this thread, but it could take me a while, so ill ask my questions first.
                      Cats - someone mentioned sardines, but is tuna OK too? Also red meat, what else should I give her? She is currently eating Felidae dry food. I imagine transitioning her would be hard.
                      My dogs eat Candidae (both these are grain free), and would happily eat meat, but they need veg too yes? Would coconut oil or raw egg be good for them as well?

Comment

• I was too lazy to look up the EVO bag weights before, but just checked and it's the 15lb bag that will last me 2 months with my girls. So grain free is totally doable. If anything I would say it's cheaper than the previous "premium" conventional dry food we were feeding before because they seem to eat much less, litter box is more manageable, etc.

Neither of these 2 furballs have ever had weight issues, but the kitty my ex kept has always been a little on the chunky side. EVO did a great job improving his coat and trimming him out. I think raw would really make him svelt but time/expense is an issue for right now. And, well, he's with my ex so I have no control over that anyway.

Comment

• That is excellent! Well my mom said she'd cover my cat's vaccination costs so I'm just waiting to find out who can take her, hopefully next week as that's exactly 1 yr from her last vaccines. She won't be in contact with other cats when she's at my apartment so I'm going to try to just get rabies (required by law, I believe) instead of rabies & feline leukemia, to keep costs down. Then I just need a litter box, litter (Boyfriend said, "Uh...we can just use sand" so we may be raiding a playground at night haha), and some regular cat food along with some EVO dry to start with. I'm sure my parents have some dishes we can swipe to feed her from too

It will be nice to have a cat-buddy around again. I will post "before" pictures for her, here's hoping she can trim up a bit with a better diet! I wonder how long it would take.

BTW I know sand isn't great for a litter box because it doesn't deal with liquids well, so we'd need to change it out a lot to account for pee, but it's just until another paycheck comes in
                          Depression Lies

Comment

• When I went Primal (and thus my family to a degree) I started thinking about how cats are obligate carnivores, and searched around for better food. Both have been on dry food for years and aside from tuna or chicken (given as treats) won't eat traditional wet food. My cranky black kitty is 14 now, and the little calico is 5. I tried EVO to start with, but they hated it. They LOVE Halo now, and I love it because they have coupons on their website and it's pretty well priced if you find sales. The only stores that sell it here are Earth Fare and Petco. They recently came out with grain-free, but the original formula is still way better than most cat foods so I buy it if I'm in a pinch. Their poop smells a lot better, and their fur is much softer now. They don't gorge themselves on the food anymore either, so it lasts longer. I do think that the younger kitty would like raw food--she hovers when I'm cutting up raw chicken--but I haven't gotten to that point yet. The oldest doesn't seem to care much about raw meat, so I'm not pushing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                              OK I have just started reading this thread, but it could take me a while, so ill ask my questions first.
                              Cats - someone mentioned sardines, but is tuna OK too? Also red meat, what else should I give her? She is currently eating Felidae dry food. I imagine transitioning her would be hard.
                              My dogs eat Candidae (both these are grain free), and would happily eat meat, but they need veg too yes? Would coconut oil or raw egg be good for them as well?
                              I've been raw feeding my dogs for 6 years now. I started out with a commercial raw diet, like Oma's, Bravo or Primal and I often suggest this to newbies--depending on how many dogs you have and what size they are because that's pretty much the most expensive way to go. I feed a variety of meats and some ground whole pieces, like ground chicken leg quarters or ground duck backs and things like that. I feed about 50% meat with bone and then I'll add in plain meat, like lamb, beef, chicken, canned fish or raw eggs. I also do give my dogs coconut oil and krill oil or fish oil. The other thing I feed is Honest Kitchen dehydrated food--just a little bit and of course raw organs. I give mine an organ blend of liver, heart and kidney. I do also give them whole duck necks to chew on. It does take some time to figure it all out and it takes some time to figure out just how much boney food to feed. If I feed too much meat with bone (like necks or backs), my dogs poops will end up being too hard. I have a 45lb Aussie mix and a 48lb mix and sometimes even a whole duck neck will cause poops that are too hard and dry. Honest Kitchen is another way to go and you can include some raw meats, canned fish and eggs with it to start, so that's another option to try and it's a bit of a bridge to full raw.

I agree that dogs don't really need veggies, but I still feed them, but I put them through my Vitamix. I even put Honest Kitchen through my Vitamix. Dogs really don't digest veggies unless they are totally pulverized, so I often think I probably don't need to feed them, but I like Honest Kitchen and I feed a couple different varieties. My dogs look absolutely fantastic with stunning coats, bright eyes, beautiful teeth and they have nice musculature. It's funny though that my research into raw feeding my dogs has led me down this same path for myself. So, my dogs and I are pretty much eating the same way (except I do eat more veggies) and the things I avoid in my diet are the same things that I keep out of theirs!!
                              Last edited by Pony500; 04-22-2012, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• The raw diet for my dog is interesting me, but it sounds expensive, can anyone confirm the costs compared to feeding dry food?
                                Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Comment

Working...
                                X