Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal in Indiana, begging for help. (Literally)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal in Indiana, begging for help. (Literally)

I want to know, is there anybody in the Southern Indiana area who would be willing to help me out? I could use an actual person to talk to, face to face, instead of just a computer screen. My problem is, I feel like I don't have the motivation I need to keep with this long enough for it to become habit. When I quit smoking, I did it not because i finally decided that my health was a good enough reason to quit, I did it because my boyfriend told me to think of our future together, and that was the push I needed.

Where he has no ill things to say about me trying this lifestyle, he doesn't honestly care that I do this diet. He has no issues with me as I am, and doesn't care if i'm skinny or big. Yes, he wants me to be healthy, but he things i'm doing this JUST to loose weight. I explained that the purpose of this lifestyle is to become healthy, that the weight loss is just a pleasant side-effect (basically). He does support me in my efforts, but not in the way he did with my quitting smoking. Does that make sense? He doesn't like diets, and he sees this as just another diet, not a lifestyle. It doesn't help that both times i've said i'm doing this, i've not stuck with it. The first time was due to lack of money and a fundamental inability to attain the proper foods to eat, therefore unable to stick to the guidelines of the lifestyle. basically i was surrounded by bready sugary foods, and couldn't afford to buy my own veggies and meats, and had no say in the shopping to be able to take out the breads and sugars completely. Right now, it's simply me getting used to my budget, so sometimes I have to fall back on what's available, which does sometimes end up being bready things. That, and I have a head cold, so it's all I can do to stay awake and alert at work without worrying about what i'll have for lunch. I do still choose salad over a sandwich if those are the only two choices, but not so much meat lately.

I digress. what i'm looking for is somebody i can talk to in person, basically a friend, who is doing the same thing as me, and can give me the moral support I need. Hell, i'd even be willing to pay for therapy to figure out why i don't seem to have the motivation to do this for myself, by myself, without an outward shove. I'd also like somebody who can go on walks/bike rides/bowling/roller skating/etc with me. I need some major help here. i've accepted this fact, and i'm reaching out for it. I'm willing to do whatever I need to to accomplish my goals. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!
    A rose by any other name.

Not in your locale, unfortunately, but I just wanted to say I'm sorry you're struggling and that I hope you find a support buddy.

Comment

Hey. Just letting you know I'm not ignoring your post. But I'm in Colorado so thats not really much help. Plus this will bump your post so it shows up again! Good luck finding someone!

Comment

lol, thank you guys.

Comment

Hey there,
          I'm way up in Muncie but I feel your pain. My fiance doesn't see the point of dropping grains and processed crap even though he knows that he feels better without them. So I am stuck without much support, as well. BUT! I've found that people in these forums are always willing to help and provide motivation when I need it. A major lifestyle change has to be a personal journey anyway if you want it to last, so maybe this will teach me to listen to what my own body needs to thrive. Good luck, and if you're ever up in the Muncie area shoot me a message and we can do lunch and some chin ups or something!

~Sarah
          Wag more, bark less.

Comment

lol, I appreciate the offer. I don't see myself being in that area, though. I'm in Clarksville/Jeff, and the furthest I have call to go is Henryville.

Comment

Sorry you are struggling, unfortunately I am all the way here in Australia, otherwise id help in a second
              Hope you find someone to help you soon.

Comment

Thank you very much. I hope your doing well. What are things like in Australia? I've always wondered what it would be like to visit there.

Comment

Its OK, not too bad really, but not home
                  I am from New Zealand and even though we have been here 8 years, I miss NZ so bad, but overall its a pretty OK country

Comment

ah, cool cool. I've never traveled much outside of three different states. I'd love to go outside the US, though. Europe is my ultimate destination. England and France, and Ireland if I had the time/money.

Comment

Id love to visit those places too, and the US One day LOL

Comment

yes, one day. ugg, so much stuff to get taken care of, first. So, do you have any advice for getting through the first month or so? I find myself falling back on salads, steaks, and some form of grilled chicken. My budget is minimal and i don't have much time for cooking so I usually end up eating out.

Comment

My favorite time and money saving thing in the kitchen is my crock pot. I use it at least 2-3 times per week. And the things I make with it usually are good for two or three dinners throughout the week. You can throw in a whole chicken, a whole pork loin, ribs, a chuck roast, soups or stews... add a few spices or a sauce and set it on low in the morning before you head out for work. Dinner will be ready when you get home! It's so easy and it allows you to buy the cheaper cuts of meat because slow cooking it makes it so tender and delicious.
                          Wag more, bark less.

Comment

+1 for the crock pot! It's like a magic hat for food.

Comment

Originally posted by rabraham2 View Post
                              yes, one day. ugg, so much stuff to get taken care of, first. So, do you have any advice for getting through the first month or so? I find myself falling back on salads, steaks, and some form of grilled chicken. My budget is minimal and i don't have much time for cooking so I usually end up eating out.
                              Dont beat yourself up if youre not being ultra mega paleo chef right away. For my first few months, pretty much all I had was grilled steaks and bunless burgers. No one in my family really cooks, so ive been slowly learning and gaining new confidence in the kitchen. Earlier this week I made a beer-braised corned beef, and today Im going to try slow-cooking some pork ribs in the oven and crockpot. I couldnt even IMAGINE doing these things this time last year.

My best advice is if you find something you like, really go nuts on it, cause youll get good at cooking it more efficiently and it makes shopping less intimidating. For those first months, my shopping basket pretty much only ever had steak, full-fat yogurt, brussel sprouts, and asparagus in it. I thought I would get sick of such things (cause I used to tire of foods really quickly on SAD diet), but to my surprise I didnt. Its like my body was like, "Yeah! This shits got nutrients in it! Eat more!!"

Other great relatively inexpensive food ideas are canned fish like tuna, salmon, and sardines, especially if theyre packed in olive oil. Good protein and fat and super filling, ive found. Sometimes ill mix in a touch of soy-sauce into a can of tuna.

Caveats: see if you can find BPA-free-can brands, theres more and more out there; do not eat farmed/"Atlantic" salmon; dont overdue it on tuna cause of risk of mercury levels.
                              "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

Working...
                              X