Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reversing Health Problems -- Take THAT PCOS!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reversing Health Problems -- Take THAT PCOS!

When I was in high school I was addicted to crystal methamphetamine. I got thin, freakishly thin, while people drowned me with compliments:
    "Wow, you look SO good!"
    "You must be watching what you eat. Good for you!"

The excuses piled up and my addiction flew under the radar. I lost 50 lbs doing drugs. After I managed to graduate high school I went home, got sober, and went to college. Then I got fat.

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I turned 19 and stopped having periods. The doctor threw some birth control pills at me, told me to watch my weight, and I went on my merry way, ignoring everything but the birth control pills. By the time I turned 24 I had gained 65 lbs since my diagnosis, putting me at 245 lbs. At 5'10, I've always been able to carry more weight than others and having naturally occurring muscle tone has equated to always being heavier on the scale than I look.

Now, an inclination to being heavy had transformed into full-fledged obesity. I'm an apple.

I entered my early 20's with a blood pressure average of 87/145, high cholesterol, and rampant hypoglycemia. By the time I hit 24, it was obvious I was on the verge of tipping into Type 2 diabetes. I tried a low-glycemic diet but I couldn't lose any weight. I tried rapid cycling diets and GAINED weight. Then I found primal. I lost 25 lbs in four weeks. The first 25 lbs I had been able to lose in over 4 years. My blood pressure dropped so much I was able to go off my prescriptions, my hypoglycemia VANISHED almost overnight, and my cholesterol fell within a normal range. Mind you, I'm still fat. But I'm healthier than I've ever been in my entire life. Even as I've backslid into old eating habits and fought my way back to primal, I have maintained these positive health changes. I turned 25 in 2011 and I quit my stressful job, got married, and my partner and I spent four months traveling across the country in our travel trailer. I kicked the stress, sought out the best parts of life, and have overcome my depression and anxiety issues.

Mark's Daily Apple continues to inspire and encourage me... but the best encouragement was walking into the doctor's office and seeing those numbers -- and the doctor's face.

I'm happy, I'm alive, I'm primal.
    Lindsay Groks On

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."
    -- Mark Twain

Awesome job on turning your life around! Inspiring stuff, Linds! I would love to travel across the country. What did you guys do for work, while on the road?

Comment

Thanks Rasputina! We did freelance writing while on the road, lived very frugally, and took our sweet time exploring places. It IS possible! Well.... and wedding money helped too ;-) Even so, it was an amazing opportunity to completely decompress all the pent up stress and anxieties of the previous year.
      Lindsay Groks On

-- Mark Twain

Comment

I love the blog. Cabin in the woods, eh? Is it cool if I bring my spouse to come live with you and your spouse? We could start some sort of Primal writer/artist/musician commune

Comment

Thanks! I just uploaded my before and after pictures if you're interested ^.^ Yeah, our place is amazing. If you're ever in the Montana area I'd love to meet other primal buddies!
          Lindsay Groks On

-- Mark Twain

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Thanks Ayla!
              Lindsay Groks On

-- Mark Twain

Comment

Fabulous and encouraging story...coming from a fellow PCOS'er. Keep on Keeping on!
                Julie

http://perfectlyprimal.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hey Julie! Great to see another Cyster on the forums! I'll be checking out your blog -- I've been really interested to know what other ladies with PCOS are experiencing with primal living. Yay us!
                  Lindsay Groks On

-- Mark Twain

Comment

Thank You..I have had my ups and downs..and have dusted myself off many times, but now there are no excuses!
                    Julie

Comment

As long as you keep getting up -- that's all that matters! I think for many of us women facing these significant hormonal issues it can be more challenging to stick with it sometimes. I just remind myself junk food won't make me feel better. Food doesn't taste as good as healthy feels ^.^
                      Lindsay Groks On

-- Mark Twain

Comment

Congratulation on your amazing recovery.

I didn't know what PCOS was until I came here so I looked it up. A few years ago I worked for a lady who I think probably had it. I know she had diabetes because she talked about it all the time. She really struggled, but she ate low fat chips and low fat crackers all day long. I'm pretty sure she had been getting the typical bad CW advice from her doctor. It was really hard to work for her because the diabetes made her moody and she was a pretty moody lady already. I doubt I could have changed her mind about her diet since she thought I was an idiot.

Everybody who cures their PCOS and diabetes and everything with this diet should just keep spreading the gospel. It makes me angry that we all have to live sickly so that corporations can profit from their snacks and their meds.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Everybody who cures their PCOS and diabetes and everything with this diet should just keep spreading the gospel. It makes me angry that we all have to live sickly so that corporations can profit from their snacks and their meds.
                          Indeed. PCOS is a huge problem among women because it is often goes undiscovered and there's so much conflicting information on what causes it. My own amateur theory is it is an inclination that is triggered by poor diet and nutritional deficiencies, which because of my drug use and serious soda problem is likely the cause of mine. Fortunately, I also believe it can definitely be reversed. Diabetes and PCOS are very closely related as well as cancer and heart disease down the line. I'm looking forward to being able to share my experiences with other women with PCOS.
                          Lindsay Groks On

-- Mark Twain

Comment

Good job, Lindsay, very impressive! You're certainly on the right track I have PCOS too, so I can relate to your story. I had been overweight/obese since my early childhood (I have seen a picture of me and my sister on the beach, in bikini, I can't have been more than 3-4 years old at the time, I don't remember when that picture was taken, but it is very obvious in the picture that we are both fat ). I always knew I had to lose weight and I knew I was going to do it - eventually, when forced to, because I really didn't want to give up on the good stuff in life - and that has always been carbs for me. Bread, pasta, cookies, rice, potatoes, chocolate - you name it, I loved it and lived off it for the biggest part of my life... I was indifferent to meat, I could have done without it. I disliked vegetables (but I love fruit) and avoided them...

Anyway, I had had PCOS since my teenage years, but I just accepted it as oanother one of all the things that I had to put up with (the weight issue meant low self esteem, low physical endurance, knee pain). I just didn't want to think about it, I was too busy studying and working. I had tried to stick to a diet a couple of times, but I felt miserable, I resisted it, I didn't feel motivated to diet so I felt like I was being punished... Until my periods worsened even more at the end of the summer of 2009 (I won't go into details) and I felt I had to do something about my health. That same year my uncle (my mom's brother) had been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. My grandpa (my dad's father) had died of diabetes a couple of years earlier and my mom's grandmother had been a diabetic too, my own parents had also started getting alarmingly high blood glucose values and were on the verge of diabetes. So I realized things were quite serious. So this time I was really motivated to start a diet and stick to it. But it had to be something I knew worked... Luckily that same year a couple of acquaintances had lost a lot of weight on the Dukan diet. I didn't like that one, it seemed too restrictive and simply contrary to common sense. But I had read a bit about low-carb diets without fat restriction (like you have with Dukan) and was encouraged by the results people were getting, so I was willing to give low-carb eating a chance. I decided I would stick to this new eating plan and give it all the time it took. I was really motivated to do improve my health. I started losing weight quite slowly, but my periods began improving just a few months later. Now I have lose 55 pounds in 2.5 years with low-carb eating (I've only been primal since October 2011) and my cycles are certainly a lot closer to normal. I guess there's more work to be done in that respect (I realize I haven't been getting enough protein or enough fat for a very long time plus I kept eating grains, even in smaller amounts). But there's hope for PCOS on a low-carb eating plan. And I hope the primal lifestyle helps even more.

I wish you good luck with your primal journey!
                            Last edited by Sol y Sombra; 01-08-2012, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Sol...I can so relate to your story! Congrats on the 55 pounds though. That helps tremendously. I can only have a cycle if I am strict low carb. I tried Dukan too...lost 13 pounds in one week-the only week I was able to stand low fat low carb. YIKES.

Best wishes to you too
                              Julie

Comment

Working...
                              X