"Frustrations" with paleo/primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I am losing weight, but damn.... spending money on shopping. I've said this a million times, but I spent 38 years being too fat to wear stylish clothes. And I am a god damn fashion junkie. Just dropped another $100 at Anthropologie on a gorgeous purple silk dress.

It's like- I want it all. New jeans. New dresses. New skirts. God only knows what is going to happen to my credit card when I reach my weight goal.

Oh- my other obsession. Cowboy boots. Always wanted some. Calves too fat. Now they fit with that nice gap between the upper and my leg. So it's not even like the shoe want is getting a rest.

Grok. Must be more grok like in shopping habits. But then I see a cute fur vest. And I don't look a yeti in it.
    *flagrant self promotion*
    I run a blog called Cheapass Chick, all about how to find and style clothes as inexpensively as possible while maintaining as high a quality as you want.
    /flagrant self promotion
    I mostly hit thrift stores and eBay, personally. It really helps keep my spending down.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Gravyboat View Post
      Aw man, you just reminded me of how much I've always wanted those too, but couldn't wear them for the same reason. Well, with any luck, my calves will STAY too fat and I won't ever have to budget for them.
      Heh, welcome to my world, except it's muscle, not fat. A plus-size shop here has in some cute boots with wider tops so they will fit fatter legs, and I am considering going to try them on even though they will think I am crazy.
      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• By "they" I meant the staff in the shop. I doubt the boots would have much opinion on my sanity either way.
        “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• I've given up on most cowboy boots. I have muscular calves and bordering on narrow feet. Anything without a gusset or the rainboot gap (that gap most rainboots have in the calf) or that doesn't lace up just isn't gonna fit. I have ONE pair of boots that don't meet those specs and it's 10 minutes of tugging and swearing to get them up to my knees.
          I have a pair of lace up granny boots I bought as cowboy boots several years ago. They practically gave them to me, as they were made for an older lady with a narrow foot that croaked before she could pick them up.
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
          My Latest Journal

Comment

• Ugh, I hadn't considered the narrow foot part of it. Wide boots would also likely have a wide foot bit.

Goddamnit, I want cute boots!

Owly's Journal

Comment

• I have to buy more shorts, casual trousers and work trousers. I guess that's a good problem to have, but my question is, how long will these clothes last me before I have to get more?
              Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
              bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• Originally posted by Owly View Post
                Ugh, I hadn't considered the narrow foot part of it. Wide boots would also likely have a wide foot bit.

I hear ya. I've started using eBay for my boots. Once you know your calf circumference and what you want, it makes weeding out the trash so much easier. Scroll down, meet spec? Nope, trash, repeat.
                My Latest Journal

Comment

• I have a pair of rain boots that always were bunched due to fat calfs. Now the left one fits nicely, but the right one is still tight. I know I'm right leg dominant and that damn calf muscle ruins my look.
                  --mommymd

LCHF since Oct 2011

Comment

• I wear a uniform for a living, a one piece jump suit. Now my uniforms are getting that "bunched up" look at the belt line when I tighten my belt. Looks bad. The problem is these jumpsuits are custom made and are like $350-400 each! I'm gonna have to break down and replace them but I don't think I have bottomed out the weight loss yet. Dang you Primal Living.
                    All time high weight 262 lbs
                    Primal since Spring 2012
                    Start PB Weight: 240 lbs ish
                    Current Weight: 220lbs ish
                    Goal Weight:190-200 lbs
                    All on a 6ft. 1/2 inch frame.

I can't wait to meet my abs for the first time in my life. We gotta lot of catching up to do.

I love this way of eating and hope to be able to help others.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grokdaddy View Post
                      I wear a uniform for a living, a one piece jump suit. Now my uniforms are getting that "bunched up" look at the belt line when I tighten my belt. Looks bad. The problem is these jumpsuits are custom made and are like $350-400 each! I'm gonna have to break down and replace them but I don't think I have bottomed out the weight loss yet. Dang you Primal Living.
                      Take them to a good alterations place... they can get you through!
                      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                        Take them to a good alterations place... they can get you through!
                        While I still need some for winter (my winter one's look worn out) I will see if the vender (a friend's mother) can alter then for me. Thanks for the good idea cori.
                        Primal since Spring 2012

I can't wait to meet my abs for the first time in my life. We gotta lot of catching up to do.

Comment

• I've already done the new pants thing and can tell I'm about a month or two away from having to do it again. Then there's a bunch of cool motorcycle shirts I bought that are already hanging off my body. That one really hurts because they aren't cheap, and I like them alot. I'm going to keep wearing them until it looks too ridiculous. Bagged up and gave away a bunch of basically new clothes that I can't wear anymore.

Today my ring fell right off the finger just standing there with hands at side. Fingers are getting skinny too I guess.

And here's a weird one: my nose is dripping alot since starting this eating pattern. Don't know if it's related but there you go. <shrug>

Comment

• Hah nose dripping is from all the awesome herbs and spices we now eat!

My gripes for grok to laugh over the campfire:

1) people who go on about how much cholesterol and heart disease I must have. I inwardly smile because I understand their doctors have told them to trust the Australian Dietary Guidelines, but if I was vegetarian NO ONE WOULD CARE. THAT is unfair.
                            2) spending money on smaller clothes
                            3) when my boyfriend says 'oh by the way we are meeting friends for dinner tonight' after I have defrosted some lovely grass-fed meat
                            4) running out of coconut oil
                            5) having so much energy and zest for life I canny sit still anymore, anytime. I jut want to be out in the sunshine, walking jumping and playing.
                            6) getting spurts of bacon fat all over te kitchen floor :-D
                            7) taking photos of food. Eating this way makes you an awesome cook and it cuts into your eating time when you take photos hah

Obviously we are all optimally leading fantastic healthy lives and mind frames if these are our main gripes.

Have to say I love losing weight and having people think you must have an eating disorder, when obviously the only eating disorder is now loving and appreciating quality food more than ever. Can't wait for someone to open Australia's first paleo restaurant. I hope it's somewhere in a cave!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Owly View Post
                              Ugh, I hadn't considered the narrow foot part of it. Wide boots would also likely have a wide foot bit.

I have the same issue... skinny feet, big calves. Even now I look at my calves and they don't LOOK that huge, they certainly don't have a lot of fat on them... but dammit boots don't fit me! My friend gave me some of her old boots that she could do up and I couldn't... and seriously she's got another 20kg on me. I don't get it! I'm like, even if I lose weight, I can't see how my calves will get that much thinner because they don't seem all that fat as it is.

Comment

• Yesterday I put on my all time favorite pair of jeans to go to the movies with my fam to the movies. I can not deny it any more they are getting too big for me (more like I am getting to small for them). Which is sad cuz I really like them. I bought them a couple years ago. Not gonna find them again. Me and the wife will probably have a hard time buying clothes unless we try on everything as we still are stuck on our old sizes in our minds but in actuality we have gotten smaller. No more oh it says XL shirt get it cuz I'm an XL. I guess you can call it reverse denial...when you think you are bigger than you really are. But I'll take that over normal denial (I can still fit those size 36 pants I know I can) any day.
                                Primal since Spring 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X