No announcement yet.

"Frustrations" with paleo/primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of office mates, one of them went primal a few weeks after I did. I like to think I was some sort of influence on that decision. She just told me that a friend of hers is looking at it seriously, but was concerned about the health effects. They typical "OMG the fat will kill you..." line. She told her friend that I am the official guinea pig, since she started 4 weeks after I did it will give her at least that amount of time to go back to SAD if I keel over from a massive coronary.

Not a gripe really but still fun.....
    "When you can't run, you crawl. And when you can't crawl, when you can't do that ... you find someone to carry you."

Onward....my primal journal
    2012 Slow Movement Challenge: My distance so far = 665 kM

My Map My Tracks Profile

Comment

• Originally posted by Meegeek View Post
      Speaking of office mates, one of them went primal a few weeks after I did. I like to think I was some sort of influence on that decision. She just told me that a friend of hers is looking at it seriously, but was concerned about the health effects. They typical "OMG the fat will kill you..." line. She told her friend that I am the official guinea pig, since she started 4 weeks after I did it will give her at least that amount of time to go back to SAD if I keel over from a massive coronary.

Not a gripe really but still fun.....
      You can do what I did, just staple your latest BP/HR/other health tests and lipid profile to your corkboard/cubicle wall and point at it when people like my annoying cube-neighbor tell you that OMG YOU ARE GOING TO KILL YOURSELF FOR EATING TEH FATZ LOL.

"Yeah, thass right, my BP is 105/50, how's yours? Oh, that's right, you got hospitalized again for 5 days because you were at 240/150 and they thought your brain was gonna go splodey? So how's that low-fatty high-carby thingy workin' out for ya, huh?"

Comment

• I no longer get brain freeze from ice cream. Now I get it from frozen raspberries instead :doh

Comment

• Originally posted by Spubba View Post
          Oh wow. Glad you like it. I was thinking about changing it, too. Still funny, just had a different idea for a graphic. I need freehand practice soooo baaaad. Good news is, Fast Five is giving me more time in the evenings, even with things being dumb at work, so I think I'm gonna be able to sketch 2 days in a row... zzzzomg.
          Nice! Do you draw on a tablet or on paper and then scan it in? The only drawing I do these days is phone doodles, or sketches for figures that the artists at work make better cause theyre way better than me xP Last "real" thing I drew was a turkey cause I was trying to educate my coworkers about what all the different wiggly-wobbly structures on a turkey's head are called.
          "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

• Embrace the haters, you made them!
            My Leangains Journey

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Corvidae View Post
              Nice! Do you draw on a tablet or on paper and then scan it in? The only drawing I do these days is phone doodles, or sketches for figures that the artists at work make better cause theyre way better than me xP Last "real" thing I drew was a turkey cause I was trying to educate my coworkers about what all the different wiggly-wobbly structures on a turkey's head are called.
              I draw directly into the computer with this ancient 9x12 Intuos2 that's like 12 years old now or something. But it still works perfectly, so I refuse to replace it.

I was trying to open a livestream because I like to stream my drawings, but the darn thing's not cooperating tonight.

Comment

• I wanna know who decreed that breakfast stops at 1030. I want breakfast for lunch or dinner and I don't want IHOP/ Denny's and can't go home to make it for lunch. If I want eggs for lunch, I'm fucked.
                Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                My Latest Journal

Comment

• I can't fall off the wagon and wonder why I'm gaining weight again. I know exactly why it's happening and what is causing it. I want to be ignorant of that for right now and I can't un- know! Stupid blue pill. Or red. I can't remember.
                  http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• Yes, I know I've lost weight and look skinnier than you've seen me in 10 years.
                    No, I'm not sick
                    No, I haven't seen a doctor
                    Yes I feel fine
                    Yes, I eat...alot.
                    I wish you could get a handle on your health too.
                    And you still don't listen when I tell you what I've learned and how You may benefit from Primal

phhffffthhht.

Whatever, do you want some old jeans of mine?

wrong thread maybe...GOTD?

lol
                    forward,
                    pbj
                    Last edited by pbj; 02-29-2012, 11:18 AM. Reason: wrong thread?
                    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

Comment

• Originally posted by pbj View Post
                      Yes, I know I've lost weight and look skinnier than you've seen me in 10 years.
                      No, I'm not sick
                      No, I haven't seen a doctor
                      Yes I feel fine
                      Yes, I eat...alot.
                      I wish you could get a handle on your health too.
                      Amen, friend. People keep telling me "you look smaller, are you eating alright?" and all I can think is "yes! I'm eating better than you or I or pretty much anyone ever has!" It's infuriating.

And that part about people not listening? Total truth. People keep asking me "what I've done", and every time I answer truthfully I always get a shit ton of push back. It's like I don't care what you think about me, people, but you can't deny 25lbs-in-2-months as evidence.
                      If you want to reach the end of the trail, first you must find the beginning.
                      If you want to be strong enough to walk the trail, trust your feet.
                      If you want to go fast, go alone - if you want to go far, go together.

6'0" white female, age 24
                      Pre-paleo: 247.8 lbs
                      Current weight: 212.8
                      Goal: 199.9 (and to rock a two piece bathing suit surfing in Costa Rica this November!)

Comment

• Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                        I wanna know who decreed that breakfast stops at 1030. I want breakfast for lunch or dinner and I don't want IHOP/ Denny's and can't go home to make it for lunch. If I want eggs for lunch, I'm fucked.
                        they did that to me yesterday! Except it wasn't even 10:30 yet. They replaced the eggs/bacon/fruit with bread/sandwhich/pasta I guess there's a gripe for ya, If I don't have time to prep my own lunch, I have to remember to go down to the deli for lunch at 10am or earlier even though I'm SOO not hungry and then just have it sitting waiting for me until 2/3 when I finally do get hungry. Otherwise all they have is SAD foods. *pout*
                        Starting weight, July 13, 2011: 286 pounds
                        Lowest weight, April 1, 2012: 242 pounds
                        Current Weight, Aug 15, 2012: 270 pounds

Goal: 135-ish, When I feel happy/healthy/right

Comment

• Originally posted by Avalon View Post
                          Amen, friend. People keep telling me "you look smaller, are you eating alright?" and all I can think is "yes! I'm eating better than you or I or pretty much anyone ever has!" It's infuriating.

And that part about people not listening? Total truth. People keep asking me "what I've done", and every time I answer truthfully I always get a shit ton of push back. It's like I don't care what you think about me, people, but you can't deny 25lbs-in-2-months as evidence.
                          This!! All of it, yes!

My office-people are HORRIBLE about doing this. I've lost 40 pounds, it's very obvious, people ask me over and over how I'm doing it. I tell them and then they basically blow me off and eat their wheat. I've given up at this point, but the same exact conversation happens at least once a week. Argh, so frustrating!

I've taken to telling them that "I'm on the diet my Doctor showed me" which is... kinda true. The Doctor showed me the insulin resistance diet on Mayo, which says to look up The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain, Ph.D. which led me to googling paleo, which led me eventually to this website (and my food-salvation!)
                          Starting weight, July 13, 2011: 286 pounds
                          Lowest weight, April 1, 2012: 242 pounds
                          Current Weight, Aug 15, 2012: 270 pounds

Goal: 135-ish, When I feel happy/healthy/right

Comment

• Originally posted by pixiecatmandi View Post
                            This!! All of it, yes!... I've taken to telling them that "I'm on the diet my Doctor showed me" which is... kinda true. The Doctor showed me the insulin resistance diet on Mayo, which says to look up The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain, Ph.D. which led me to googling paleo, which led me eventually to this website (and my food-salvation!)
                            This is pretty much what I've resorted to. Trying to explain to my psuedo-english-speaking Korean coteachers why rice for breakfast/lunch/dinner is a bad idea for me has just gotten to be too much of a chore. I've started saying that I have food allergies and am under the care of a doctor - partially true, we all have a certain degree of allergy to grains, but I am under no doctor's observations. As soon as I say "doctor", though, they nod and leave me alone. It's crazy.

Actual kind-of frustration: my alcohol tolerance has gone WAY down. I used to be able to pound shots and cocktails down for HOURS back when I was 240+, but now after one night out at an expat bar in Cambodia I was completely swimming in it after four or five drinks, was even mildly sick to my stomach the next morning (no hangover/headache thankfully, just my organs getting pissed at me). Hopefully this will be an excuse to SAVE money on drinks those few nights out that I have.
                            If you want to reach the end of the trail, first you must find the beginning.
                            If you want to be strong enough to walk the trail, trust your feet.
                            If you want to go fast, go alone - if you want to go far, go together.

6'0" white female, age 24
                            Pre-paleo: 247.8 lbs
                            Current weight: 212.8
                            Goal: 199.9 (and to rock a two piece bathing suit surfing in Costa Rica this November!)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kakes View Post
                              <snip>

I SO relate to the 3 hunger settings!! Non-existent, easily ignorable, and ravenous fat-searching beast! Though even the ravenous beast isn't hangry or shaky desperate like it used to be!
                              Yeah, my husband is DELIGHTED about that. I used to get SUDDENLY wacko, shaky, tears behind the eyes, sweaty-upper-lip hungry, to the point that our last argument was a year ago, over whether or not we'd stop the car in LA to get me some peanut butter crackers in CASE I got that way. I WANTED TO. I didn't like the feeling, at all. Neither did he, of course, but he didn't realize he was in danger of having his face eaten off.

When I get hungry now it's more like ho hum, time to eat something, or my stomach hurts, must be trying to tell me something. I don't get wacko-shaky!

I DO keep a bag of jerky in the car, and a couple of bites of that heads off any problems...
                              Best--
                              Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by pixiecatmandi View Post
                                This!! All of it, yes!

My office-people are HORRIBLE about doing this. I've lost 40 pounds, it's very obvious, people ask me over and over how I'm doing it. I tell them and then they basically blow me off and eat their wheat. I've given up at this point, but the same exact conversation happens at least once a week. Argh, so frustrating!

I've taken to telling them that "I'm on the diet my Doctor showed me" which is... kinda true. The Doctor showed me the insulin resistance diet on Mayo, which says to look up The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain, Ph.D. which led me to googling paleo, which led me eventually to this website (and my food-salvation!)
                                Good for you! And isn't it weird? It's like they don't really WANT to know, if it involves giving up bread. Hellooooo? Feel good, no insulin crashes, no cravings? AND weight loss, and stronger? WORTH IT.
                                Best--
                                Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X