Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

massive weight loss folks (~100lbs+?) when did you first see/feel a change?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• massive weight loss folks (~100lbs+?) when did you first see/feel a change?

And any of my "body dysmorphic disorder" peeps too, of course. Hello all!

Feeling pretty good about myself today--stepped on a scale for only the second time since going Primal earlier this year. 60 pounds down according to the numbers! It sounds like a lot, but am so effed up in the body-dysmorphic sense that I can't see any real difference in the mirror. I also know, thanks to the paper towel parable, that visual changes will be progressively more noticeable as I strip more "layers" away, so I'm still doing my best not to look in mirrors or get on scales yet.

So, sixty pounds down and it's still coming off strange places, it seems like. I haven't yet dropped a jeans size (though that's coming soon!). At what point did any of you feel like you looked in a mirror and could see the difference on yourself?

I know for some, the favorite progress marker is the tape measure, but I don't think I want to go there. I decided that for myself, I'd pick one or two random body parts, and keep an eye on progress that way. According to this marker, I hit my first visual progress "checkpoint": standing relaxed with my arms at my side, I can see my collar bone where there used to be a round slope from shoulder to chest. The tendons in my hands and feet are visible in action, too! Maybe it sounds weird, but this small focus is really helping me feel like I can see gradual improvement without freaking myself out by thinking too much about the big picture. LGN is my looooooooooooooong, long term goal ;0).

Does anyone have any simple benchmarks that helped them in the beginning? And how long did it take before you really objectively felt and saw differences in yourself?
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
    - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

I cannot rely on the mirror, period. It remains a vexing problem. I focus on my blood pressure.

The thing is I don't necessarily recognize changes in other folks either. People that I've now known for decades tend to remain fixed in my mind as they were when I first became aware of them. So maybe it's not so much of a problem as an interesting phenomenon.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Down 100+ pounds...

For me it was seeing old photos, especially compared to more current photos. I tell people who are losing weight to take one photo a month and tuck it away. Revisit that photo after 6 months or a year and THEN you'll see the difference. You don't see it every day or week.

The mirror is my enemy too though. I still look in it and see things I don't like. It's bothersome.

Comment

when i was able to go up a flight of stairs and not be dieing for breath. i completely understand where ur coming from, ur doing awesome just be patient. when i lost my first 100 pounds, hell my first 50. i knew the changes that were coming to me, specially around to waist line. Going from 58 waist to a now 30, had to be the best feeling ever. i agree about the mirror its double edged sword for me, like i know im lookin great but with my old mentality from being obese, its never enough cause of the fear of being huge again. Take it in stride and keep ur head up. good luck.
        "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
        started @400+pounds
        CW: 191lbs 15%BF
        PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
        UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

Comment

i'm down about 150...and like diana it really became noticeable for me when looking at older pictures. after i was down about 50 lbs i went to a family member's house and heard all the congratulations and really started to notice things for myself once someone broke out a photo album. after that, i started trying on better fitting clothes, and that helped a lot too.
          in the shirtless department, i definitely used my upper chest, collar bone, shoulders and double chin as a marker for a while. now i'm onto getting those lower abs to show as much as the upper ones...but it's taken three years to get here.
          clothes are probably still my primary measuring device (i have a lot of lingering body image issues). i was 3xl before i started losing weight, and just the other day i threw on a medium t-shirt before heading out to play with the dog. that felt good.
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Cheers all around... thanks guys, it means a lot. I'm glad every day I found this place =)
            “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."

Comment

Also keep in mind that the first jean size is the hardest. The difference between sizes gets smaller and smaller as you get in to lower sizes. It took a quite a while before I dropped the first jean size - but once I got to the lower sizes it was just a matter of a couple of lbs for each size.

Any differences in the way you feel? That is my number one motivator - I just feel so much better eating this way I don't think I could ever go back. The weight loss was just a fantastic extra bonus.
              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

81 ... and counting.

When I'm fat I think I'm a babe. When I'm a babe I think I'm fat. I just can't win.

I *still* can't tell any difference, after 80 pounds, but everyone around me can and the pants that used to be tight on me now fall on the ground like clown pants (even when buttoned), so it must be true. Still, I can't really tell any difference. I know that sounds ridiculous, yes.

But I keep going back to this site.
                Welcome - My Body Gallery - What Real Women Look Like

I can clearly see that for my height (5' 0") and body type even 20 pounds less is quite a noticeable difference. I can see that and register it in my brain when it is another woman. It is helping me to understand for myself. Maybe it'll help you, too, Mixie.

I don't know if it ever gets better. I think we just learn to cope with it better. (?)
                "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Oh, yeah--no doubt about it. I used to be nauseated constantly and had terrible acid reflux on a daily basis. I had a severe back and hip injury, couldn't climb an incline greater than a couple degrees, couldn't sleep, was terribly depressed... I felt like crap on a lot of different levels. I nixed the grain mostly because I was hoping it would help with my digestive and inflammatory issues. I wasn't going to even get my hopes up about weight loss!

Comment

OMG TigerLily, that website is incredible!

Comment

I figure I've lost over 80lbs, and I still struggle almost every day to acknowledge that my weight has gone down. I have "fat pants" that fall off, that used to be snug. I have jeans that barely fit that are almost falling down. T-shirts are loose that used to be tight. I can ignore all of this, easily, and convince myself I'm as fat or fatter than ever and heading in the wrong direction. Even photos, I can't tell. Its a struggle, and its frustrating, I wonder if I will ever realize my actual size, good or bad.

I have to focus on other benefits, and trust that weight is coming off. I sleep better, I hurt less. I no longer have a bottle of Gaviscond on my bedside table. People I trust tell me I've lost weight and its showing. I still have doubts constantly, especially lately as my eating has not been as good as it should be, and I'm hurting more than usual. I know some of it is from being in a car accident, but I can still mentally sabotage myself like the pro I am.

Tonight I was leading my horse out of the barn, and one of the guys snapped a photo of me as I passed his horse. I took a fast look at it, which was all I could tolerate, and I thought I could almost see I had lost weight. I really can't bring myself to take any closer of a look though. It sucks having this block in my head, and I just hope that as I keep on track, it will fix itself along with many of the other things that are slowly getting better.
                      Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

So, I went to the website Tigerlily posted, input my information and it came back with "Sorry, we have no photos of your body type. Send us YOUR picture"! UGH.
                        Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

As of 6:30 this morning, I'm down exactly 40 lbs from my starting weight in January. By my calculations this is approximately 21.5% of my bodyweight - but I still feel fat. I still can't get my waist under 32.5 inches!

However, I am wearing a size M shirt tucked into a too-big pair of size 10 jeans that are held up with a nice belt
                          Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                          Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                          CW: 146.8 lbs
                          GW 140 lbs
                          A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

For me, pictures helped; it's hard sometimes for me to remember that I was ever 352 lbs and what that felt like, because now I'm fighting (and have been fighting for years) the battle of the last 50 lbs. The first 100 were (surprisingly) easy as long as I stayed focused (and I should say this was pre-Primal; I lost those pounds several years ago doing old-school Atkins - so really not THAT different from Primal. It's the last 50 that have bedeviled me for years (and I've gone through several phases of focusing more and less on weight loss). So lately, I'm focusing on health; weight loss is a nice side benefit.

For me, probably, the point at which others really started to take notice was in that stage between 50 and 100 lbs lost. I noticed before that, but mostly because my clothes were fitting better (and eventually not fitting at all) and some who were close to me noticed.

Nowadays, of course, 10-20 lbs makes a big difference, as does how active I am. I put on about 20 lbs last fall when I was recovering from an injury (not very active and eating like shit). I've taken that weight off this year, but in the last few weeks when I've really dialed in my eating and fitness and I'm noticing a leanness that I hadn't seen before - in my face and neck in particular. Oddly enough, I haven't dropped a pound, but everything I own is fitting better.
                            "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Comment

I am down 120+ pounds of fat since January and still avoid looking in the mirror if at all possible. I am down to 21% body fat at 237 due to all the weight lifting but I cant say i feel that happy, in fact I obsess over the 25 pounds I would still like to loose. I am hoping over time to accept the updated me but I think it is going to take awhile especially since I lost is so fast (100 pounds in 5 months)

Being able to buy size L and XL shirts and wear size 36 pants is a nice esteem builder but that only goes so far.
                              Went Primal January 24, 2011
                              Lost 105 pounds in 5 months
                              Currently 130 fat pounds down which is 120 pounds on the scale while putting on 10 pounds of muscle
                              According to my kids I am looking more and more like the Hulk every day
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X