Going it alone, without family support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
    i am always so sad to read of pregnant ladies eating so poorly. it's just so sad. it's so unhealthy for her and the baby.

but, otherwise, congratulations on both of your babies (the 9 mo too).

---

as for this, the best bet is not to comment. truthfully, just do what you want/need to do. eat what you need to eat.

you have said what you can and need to say. now it's time that she respect your space and you respect hers without compromising yourself.

---

doctor's, man, there's no educating them.
    I also found out this was the doctor that delivered my first baby!

Not to mention that my wife agrees with me when i say the doctor has a god complex. I'm pretty sure he yelled at my wife for not keeping the baby in a little bit longer, though ive been known to exaggerate things.

Either way, Time to get back to work on my sweet six pack.
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Comment

Originally posted by fpsjosh01 View Post
      Hah i knew there was something about this that was fishy. Just try telling my lw that.
      Speaking of fishy... One of the best things we learned from The Healthy Baby Code is that mercury levels in most fish is not a huge issue. Most doctors tell women not to eat too much fish because the mercury is poisonous. The truth is that Most fish has an equivalent amount of Selenium which binds with the Mercury making it a non-issue.
      Beginning of Primal Journey:
      Date: 4/6/2011
      Weight: 247

Progress:

“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” ~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by mammlouk View Post
        Speaking of fishy... One of the best things we learned from The Healthy Baby Code is that mercury levels in most fish is not a huge issue. Most doctors tell women not to eat too much fish because the mercury is poisonous. The truth is that Most fish has an equivalent amount of Selenium which binds with the Mercury making it a non-issue.
        Wow, that's great. I won't feel guilty about eating tuna any more.

That's a good sign.
        Follow me on google+

Comment

Spaghetti, tortollini- so she's Italian? I swear I read somewhere that Itailian Italians (as opposed to Itailian-Americans) actually eat pretty dang primally. Pasta, if eaten at all, is a side dish to the meat and veggies.

Food is love! *waves hands expressivly* So show her your love by cooking her some decadant, amazing, flavorful, (coincidentally Primal) Italian dish. Because you love her. Don't bother saying anything else. Well, except maybe "Thank you" for being brave enough to have a fresh bun in the oven when she's already got her hands full with a 9-month-old!
          http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
            Spaghetti, tortollini- so she's Italian? I swear I read somewhere that Itailian Italians (as opposed to Itailian-Americans) actually eat pretty dang primally. Pasta, if eaten at all, is a side dish to the meat and veggies.

Food is love! *waves hands expressivly* So show her your love by cooking her some decadant, amazing, flavorful, (coincidentally Primal) Italian dish. Because you love her. Don't bother saying anything else. Well, except maybe "Thank you" for being brave enough to have a fresh bun in the oven when she's already got her hands full with a 9-month-old!
            It doesn't matter how right you are, or how right I am. She's pregnant, and whatever she says, goes. This is rule number one of marriages haha.

BTW, I would cook her some sausages with red sauce, if she didn't feel sick after the smell of meat cooking.

Yeah, it's pretty lame, but what's a poor grok to do?

I think I need to learn how to use a charcoal grill anyway. Time to get out the red meat.
            Follow me on google+

Comment

You've got a good attitude so far - keeping with your program and supporting your wife at the same time, even if one is conflicting with the other. I agree with the others that say this is your body and your choice (and a healthy one at that). Has this diet become a full-blown power struggle? It sounds like it did the minute guilt started getting doled out for not eating pasta. Is this manipulation masked as 'concern' for your health? Does your wife struggle with insecurity? I've seen in many relationships, especially when there's a pregnancy involved, that the wife's confidence goes out the window. Add a husband who's focusing on his physique and losing weight (regardless of how), and it can become a breeding ground of fear. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Clabbergirl View Post
                You've got a good attitude so far - keeping with your program and supporting your wife at the same time, even if one is conflicting with the other. I agree with the others that say this is your body and your choice (and a healthy one at that). Has this diet become a full-blown power struggle? It sounds like it did the minute guilt started getting doled out for not eating pasta. Is this manipulation masked as 'concern' for your health? Does your wife struggle with insecurity? I've seen in many relationships, especially when there's a pregnancy involved, that the wife's confidence goes out the window. Add a husband who's focusing on his physique and losing weight (regardless of how), and it can become a breeding ground of fear. Just a thought.
                She has all the health problems I outline with wheat issues, and I think she will try it once she's not pregnant any more (which would be too late for my next child) but good for the family.

Honestly, I've given up the power struggle. I'm gonna eat what I want, and she can have her food. I go out and buy her stuff when she wants it (and I sneak a few triple double stuff oreos cause they're damned near the best processed food ever~)

I let her feed my daughter cheerios. I watch as they feed themselves into a frenzy, while my portions are moderate and delicious.

It's not my problem any more :-P

Add a husband who's focusing on his physique and losing weight (regardless of how), and it can become a breeding ground of fear. Just a thought.
                She would rather me fat to keep me all to herself! I would never cheat though, I get enough love/understanding from her to last a lifetime~

the wife's confidence goes out the window.
                Tell me about it.
                Follow me on google+

Comment

all this talk about Italian food has me craving a crockpot full of everydaypaleo's meatballs...

Good luck with the situation... my wife is starting to get on board.

Comment

Hey guys, I wanted to give you all an update.

I went to my psychologist yesterday with the family. My food obsession was the topic of the day. (Yay aspergers) It got to the part where we were talking about how cheerios weren't bad for you. Ugh...

In order to show how "Rediculous" I was, my wife was feeding my daughter cheerios right in front of me. My psychologist went even so far as to say this: "If there was a problem with feeding children cheerios, there would be huge lawsuits." I don't even want to speak about it because of how strongly I felt hurt. They asked me if I felt like my daughter was in danger eating cheerios. I of course said yes! I should have just said no and moved on.

The end result of that night was that I gave up paleo/primal for the night. This was just to get it over with.

White rice and nightshades with shrimp were on my plate, which probably wasn't so bad because it tasted very good and the chef didn't use wheat (thank god.) I had a few corn chips and salsa as my dinner indulgence.

Then I finished it off with desert at a local yogurt place with as much sugar/low fat yogurt as I possibly could, to show my wife that I could spend time with her. The end result was that I felt food drunk and sick.

I didn't show it, but I think I was ready to have some kind of emotional release. I get no support at home for sure, mostly because of my arrogance, I can't keep doing this because it's "hurting my friendships," and my psychologist is telling me I can't possibly think this diet is reasonable because of my "Obsession."

Really?

I thought peer reviewed medical science wasn't obsessive, rather, it was respected and encouraged by MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.

Thankfully my chiropractor (who doesn't necessarily agree with my red meat) approved my vegtables and coconut oil and said to just eat grassfed beef if I really wanted red meat. (reasonable) He also agreed I needed to low carb it and eat more free range/flax seed fed eggs.

Wow, that was a nice little pat on the head.

Today I'm going to trader joe's and I getting some GODDAMN sweet potatoes, eggs, vegtables, and some grass fed beef and I'll hop right on the bandwagon again.

I'm not dealing with this shit anymore.
                    Last edited by fpsjosh01; 10-14-2011, 08:18 AM.
                    Follow me on google+

Comment

I am so sorry it went that way. It seems your psychologist is as guilty as everyone else from reading magazines and listening to segments on Dr. Oz or the local news about nutrition, and assuming that what the media tells us is true.

What seems unhealthy is that you're being emotionally bullied into eating in a way that is bad for you physically and mentally, and NOT WHAT YOU WANT. You sacrificed your well being for the evening to pacify your wife/family/psychologist. Is this what they really want? Of course they won't see it that way, but it's what they're doing.

Can you arm yourself with some scientific evidence for the next psych visit? Printed copies of the studies, with sections highlighted, to show them that this isn't Asperger's symptoms, but factual data? You're paying that therapist $ and they want to waste it by lecturing you on nutrition?????

Comment

Holy crap, Josh, I can't believe how you're being patronized. You're a grown man with two kids, for pete's sake. Being treated that way would make me blow my top too. You don't need to put up with any of it.

If a man becomes "obsessed" with eating like a man, training like a man, and living like a man, he deserves nothing but respect. You have mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Clabbergirl View Post
                          I am so sorry it went that way. It seems your psychologist is as guilty as everyone else from reading magazines and listening to segments on Dr. Oz or the local news about nutrition, and assuming that what the media tells us is true.

What seems unhealthy is that you're being emotionally bullied into eating in a way that is bad for you physically and mentally, and NOT WHAT YOU WANT. You sacrificed your well being for the evening to pacify your wife/family/psychologist. Is this what they really want? Of course they won't see it that way, but it's what they're doing.

Can you arm yourself with some scientific evidence for the next psych visit? Printed copies of the studies, with sections highlighted, to show them that this isn't Asperger's symptoms, but factual data? You're paying that therapist $ and they want to waste it by lecturing you on nutrition?????
                          No can do. They drank the low fat cool aid and won't go back. You know, factual data confuses most DOCTORS who still believe animal fats are bad. Despite proper peer reviewed studies, people don't care.

Fuck em.

I'll be the first one to get myself in shape and watch them drag their asses after eating their whole grain cereals.

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
                          Holy crap, Josh, I can't believe how you're being patronized. You're a grown man with two kids, for pete's sake. Being treated that way would make me blow my top too. You don't need to put up with any of it.

If a man becomes "obsessed" with eating like a man, training like a man, and living like a man, he deserves nothing but respect. You have mine.
                          Can I go lifting with you? You'd fucking kick my ass into shape, and I wouldn't have it any other way! This stuff makes me feel better. Wayyy better.

I'm gearing myself up for a nice long trip to trader joes where I can go buy me some sweet potato comfort food.

Lastly, I want to thank you guys.

My diet and how I feel is the only motivation I need now. I'm not gonna go it alone, but the best support you guys can give me now is strict primal advice that helps me get fitter.

That's how I want to prove I'm better! Not with books. Not with "Science." Just with a sweet set of abs and a full marathon run should just about do it.

I'm constantly learning every day how to eat pwo, durring the day, at night, etc and I love it. I'm always being challenged and I can't imagine life without a good pork shoulder/grass fed beef patty. It's just a life not worth living.

My confession is that I've honestly tried to preach the bacon gospel.

Period.

Nobody wants to hear it, and I just keep talking to people about it, even when they aren't interested.

In my eyes, I'm NO better than they are when it comes to lecturing me about my food habits.

In the meantime, I have to prove to my wife that I've been eating less than 50$ a week on primal (or I basically have to eat bread and pasta like the rest of them.) I also have to prove that I can get a fucking 6 pack with my AUTASTIC* self.

*Autastic: Knowing you have autism, but fucking kick ass anyway because you're fantastic.

Body by bacon. Beyatches.
                          Last edited by fpsjosh01; 10-14-2011, 10:10 AM.
                          Follow me on google+

Comment

Heh- once they've decide you have issues- good luck getting them to change their minds. Or listen to you. I will say, though, that you're not doing yourself any favors by "preaching the bacon gospel." You're working against a lot of things here- not just CW, but your own mental/emotional challenges, a pregnant wife (no, she's not going to be easy to deal with- hormones are a bitch), and a very unusual set of new beliefs.

I think you do have the right idea, now, to go underground with this. Smile, nod, give (concise) scientific support when required, and do your own thing. Just because you're right- as you mentioned earlier- doesn't mean that they will listen. So stop telling them. This is about you, anyway. Bringing the wife and kids on board is gravy on the roast at this point.
                            http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
                              Heh- once they've decide you have issues- good luck getting them to change their minds. Or listen to you. I will say, though, that you're not doing yourself any favors by "preaching the bacon gospel." You're working against a lot of things here- not just CW, but your own mental/emotional challenges, a pregnant wife (no, she's not going to be easy to deal with- hormones are a bitch), and a very unusual set of new beliefs.

I think you do have the right idea, now, to go underground with this. Smile, nod, give (concise) scientific support when required, and do your own thing. Just because you're right- as you mentioned earlier- doesn't mean that they will listen. So stop telling them. This is about you, anyway. Bringing the wife and kids on board is gravy on the roast at this point.
                              give (concise) scientific support when required
                              No. I won't. It's not my body, I can't help them. I can only lead by example.

Other than that, you're completely right.

hormones are a bitch
                              LOL yes. This is so true. Never mind my own hormones (i.e. leptin etc) :-P.

I just wish she'd stop feeding my baby goddamn cheerios!

So stop telling them. This is about you, anyway. Bringing the wife and kids on board is gravy on the roast at this point.
                              Ego Level UP.
                              Follow me on google+

Comment

Originally posted by JackieKessler View Post
                                Maybe there are ways you can eat primally while still eating with your wife. Last night, I cooked up a batch of meatballs -- it was a beef/pork/veal blend of ground meat, with 1 egg, lots of garlic powder, onion flakes, hot pepper, oregano and basil; just over 1 pound yielded 22 meatballs, which I cooked in a pot of organic tomato sauce for 40 minutes (stirring every so often). My husband and sons had the meatballs with spaghetti and garlic bread; I had the meatballs with spaghetti squash. Everyone was happy. (One day, I'll convince the boys in my life to try the squash.) Compromising like this -- mains that we share, and sides that are tailored to our style of eating -- may go a long way to domestic bliss.
                                I tried this and what ended up happening is they didn't actually eat the pasta. In fact they didn't eat ANYTHING.
                                Follow me on google+

Comment

Working...
                                X