Successful Conversions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Successful Conversions

I know there are a lot of posts here about the frustration that comes when you care about someone and can't get them to "see the light" about eating primal. I thought I'd start a thread for stories about successful conversions... because now I have one!

I get a lot of crap for my weight. I've always been thin, likely because I was raised pretty close to primal and never, ever bought into the low fat = good for you stuff. Being "naturally" skinny means I have no business talking to anyone about diet, of course, and I know from experience not to bring it up. I NEVER talk about how I eat. But this time I was just over the abuse...

250lb friend: "I frickin' hate you. You have no idea how much I hate you. How can you have bacon and eggs EVERY DAY and weigh 100lbs? I eat a low-fat yoghurt and gain 10lbs. It's not fair."
    Me: "Maybe you're onto something there."
    250lb friend: "Yeah, I don't need you to tell me my genes are f****d, thanks."
    Me: "No, maybe I'm thinner because I don't eat that kind of crap."
    250lb friend: "Everything you eat is crap! Bacon, eggs, steak... you put butter on your vegetables!"
    Me: "It works though. Look, maybe I'm just lucky, but I really think the way I eat is better for me than all that processed stuff. Look at the calories in your low-fat yoghurt. They're pretty much the same. They just replace the fat with sugar. And it's not satisfying. You'd be so much better off with real yoghurt. I can give you a book that explains all of it..."
    250lb friend: "Go **** yourself. Like you know anything about having to lose weight. You will never, ever get what it's like to be me."

End of conversation.

Six weeks later... my friend has lost 25lbs!!! "I was so angry with you. And then I thought, screw this, I'm never going to win, I'm going to eat the full-fat yoghurt. And I had one, and I wasn't hungry for hours! So I asked Kevin (her boyfriend, my close friend) how you eat, and he told me you do this paleo thing, and I started doing it and look! Look at me! I'd thank you, but I still hate your guts."

I'll take it. Victory is mine

I've now got second-generation converts, including my friend's Krav Maga teacher!
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Good deal!!!!

Comment

Nice!
        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

My dad was talking to me today about wanting to try my diet so I printed him off a primal/paleo cheat sheet.

He got all wound up over the 'primal' thing and 'bloody hell, no beans!'. Whatever. If you really want to do this dad, get over the stupid hang ups and just give it a try.

I'll talk to him about it again tomorrow. Sigh...
          Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
          Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
          CW: 146.8 lbs
          GW 140 lbs
          A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

belinda: if the beans are going to be the deal-breaker for your dad, let it go and encourage him do "primal + beans." Beans, in the larger scheme of things, aren't so bad. We've got to remember not to let perfection be the enemy of the good.

Besides, I'm betting as he gets further along on the Primal path, he'll end up phasing those out. (But don't tell him that now!)
            "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

^ Agreed. Beans are not the end of the world... if that's the only sticking point, I'd tell him primal + beans is much better than SAD.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo_hailey View Post
                I know there are a lot of posts here about the frustration that comes when you care about someone and can't get them to "see the light" about eating primal. I thought I'd start a thread for stories about successful conversions... because now I have one!

I get a lot of crap for my weight. I've always been thin, likely because I was raised pretty close to primal and never, ever bought into the low fat = good for you stuff. Being "naturally" skinny means I have no business talking to anyone about diet, of course, and I know from experience not to bring it up. I NEVER talk about how I eat. But this time I was just over the abuse...

250lb friend: "I frickin' hate you. You have no idea how much I hate you. How can you have bacon and eggs EVERY DAY and weigh 100lbs? I eat a low-fat yoghurt and gain 10lbs. It's not fair."
                Me: "Maybe you're onto something there."
                250lb friend: "Yeah, I don't need you to tell me my genes are f****d, thanks."
                Me: "No, maybe I'm thinner because I don't eat that kind of crap."
                250lb friend: "Everything you eat is crap! Bacon, eggs, steak... you put butter on your vegetables!"
                Me: "It works though. Look, maybe I'm just lucky, but I really think the way I eat is better for me than all that processed stuff. Look at the calories in your low-fat yoghurt. They're pretty much the same. They just replace the fat with sugar. And it's not satisfying. You'd be so much better off with real yoghurt. I can give you a book that explains all of it..."
                250lb friend: "Go **** yourself. Like you know anything about having to lose weight. You will never, ever get what it's like to be me."

End of conversation.

Six weeks later... my friend has lost 25lbs!!! "I was so angry with you. And then I thought, screw this, I'm never going to win, I'm going to eat the full-fat yoghurt. And I had one, and I wasn't hungry for hours! So I asked Kevin (her boyfriend, my close friend) how you eat, and he told me you do this paleo thing, and I started doing it and look! Look at me! I'd thank you, but I still hate your guts."

I'll take it. Victory is mine
                yeah you.. thank you for sharing this! Yeah for your friend too!!

This week I went to lunch with co-workers and they all seemed to take note of how I ordered. (I have become one of THOSE people) Anyway, when we were talking about a sugar filled event, I said I will not be participating. So they asked for the details of what I was doing etc. etc. When I said no grains I immediately got the "But you have to have carbs to be healthy". My response was that I get my carbs from vegetables and that shut the arguments. Incidentally, my mom had a similar discussion with the kinesiologist with the same response. My mom has started moving toward paleo/primal but, like this evening she had a very small bowl of mac and cheese. She's an adult and knows what to do.. you can not police your parents
                Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

Ha! that is an awesome story, paleo_hailey. I have to say, ive kind taken a similar path to your friend. I have a friend who has been paleo for years, and I always looked on him as crazy. But then another friend pointed me to PB, and I was like, "Wait this is like what XXXX has been doing for years...." And now I go to him for primal/paleo advice.
                  "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

A friend I work out with about once a month has never known me when I was overweight. However, he's been hearing me talk about what I eat, and seeing how I work out. He's made quite a few comments about how I can do/eat things because I'm skinny. Last month I loaned him a copy of PB and a copy of Pollan's Food Rules. I talked to him a week ago and he said he bought his own copy of PB. I'll be seeing him this weekend, so hopefully he's doing well.

That's the closest I've got to a win so far, but I'll take it anyways.

Comment

So far I have converted my mom, dad, wife, two cousins, 2 neighbors, 1 family friend, and 3 coworkers. Not bad for going Primal this past January.

Loosing around 120 pounds and getting lean seems to be a better advertisement than all the talking and explaining in the world.
                      Went Primal January 24, 2011
                      Lost 105 pounds in 5 months
                      Currently 130 fat pounds down which is 120 pounds on the scale while putting on 10 pounds of muscle
                      According to my kids I am looking more and more like the Hulk every day
                      sigpic

Comment

I converted my husband at the same time I got into it myself - he turned out to be more successful that I was. He's never been a big bread or sweets eater, so it was less of a change for him, I think. But it's been nice to have him with me on the full fat foods and eliminating bad oils, etc. It also makes it easier for me to get back on track.
                        Sassy: Revised - my primal log

Comment

Two close friends, sister-in-law, and brother-in-law. Not bad if I do say so myself!
                          March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
                          Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Comment

Originally posted by paleo_hailey View Post
                            I get a lot of crap for my weight. I've always been thin, likely because I was raised pretty close to primal and never, ever bought into the low fat = good for you stuff. Being "naturally" skinny means I have no business talking to anyone about diet
                            That is do true... this is my GF and can never tell anyone she is on a "diet" because she gets the look of death from everyone because she is 100lbs soaking wet and can eat ANYTHING....

That said when I went primal I drug her along with me haha. She really enjoys food and had no sweet tooth but had the carb flu bad... she was a potato anything aholic. then her alergies went away... the big one she noticed was she was no longer alergic to my cats. After this she was onboard for sure. Once she had a cheat meal and felt like crap and she realised this is how she always felt before but didnt know anybetter... now she is REALLLLLY on board... that and she saw me drop 45 lbs in half a year.

But she still cannot tell her parents she is on ha "diet" haha

Comment

Originally posted by Glockin Grok View Post
                              That is do true... this is my GF and can never tell anyone she is on a "diet" because she gets the look of death from everyone because she is 100lbs soaking wet and can eat ANYTHING....

That said when I went primal I drug her along with me haha. She really enjoys food and had no sweet tooth but had the carb flu bad... she was a potato anything aholic. then her alergies went away... the big one she noticed was she was no longer alergic to my cats. After this she was onboard for sure. Once she had a cheat meal and felt like crap and she realised this is how she always felt before but didnt know anybetter... now she is REALLLLLY on board... that and she saw me drop 45 lbs in half a year.

But she still cannot tell her parents she is on ha "diet" haha
                              +Like. Yeah, I mean its awesome that so many come into this with the intention of weight loss and then feel better, but I wish more "skinny people" would come into it just to feel better too. I imagine its because we have such a cultural disconnect from our bodies we dont realize how bad we actually feel, but we sure know how bad we LOOK because of the media telling us so all the time. Also, the only time were told to pay attention to how bad we feel its when someone is selling us something to make us feel better so we dont have to worry about it for long.
                              "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

Working...
                              X