X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cold Shower Challenge

Hey guys,

I think you will enjoy this.

I true Grok fashion, I recently took the Cold Shower Challenge, and kissed my hot showers goodbye for a month. I had no idea what would happen... Surprisingly it turned out to be the best experiences of my life.

You can read about it here http://www.thefeelgoodlifestyle.com/...iscovered.html

Check it out and let me know what you think! Better yet, step up to the challenge

Phil
    Last edited by phildrolet; 08-10-2011, 11:01 PM.

this would be possible, only in a climate where it is warm and/or you have good insulation and heating. because otherwise, like me, even warm-ish showers are kinda out except for every 3rd day. it's too chilly.

Comment

i'll take up a month of saunas challenge, though.

Comment

How cold is your cold water? In Phoenix my sumer time cold water is warm! about 72-74... Winter is normal about 68F Up here in Thule the water comes from an Arctic lake and is REALLY COLD! I haven't measured it but it is probably low 60's.. But then our hot water can scald you!
        So makes a big differnce inlocation. I usually start luke warm and then dive to cold... always end as cold as I can stand...which up here is pretty damn cold!
        Living the dream, inside a myth

Comment

I don't have a lot of vices ... no smoking, no drinking... you'll take my warm shower over my dead body
          Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
          Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
          CW: 146.8 lbs
          GW 140 lbs
          A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

I did the cold shower thing for awhile after a post about "James Bond" showers over at the Art of Manliness. The biggest problem was that I hate getting up in the morning enough without adding torture to the list. I did always feel more vital right afterward though. The other problem was that it was winter and snowy so the water seriously felt like it was freezing. With summer in full swing I generally take my showers with a little bit of luke warm water to start and quickly cut down to just cold water which actually feel like the perfect temp, especially after a day of working out in the yard or playing with the kids. We will see how it goes when it chills off again. The colder water definitely makes you feel awake and manly (in the case of men), but it can be brutal in the midst of winter.
            Beginning of Primal Journey:
            Date: 4/6/2011
            Weight: 247

Progress:

“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” ~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I would always get in warm and gradually get it colder till the second half of the shower was cold. This let me take them without feeling terrible. Also any water grok would have been in would have been at the surface of the ground not from deep underground like our ground water is. So "cold" can be anywhere form freezing to about room temperature. Work your way down to as cold as your shower will go and for everyone that isn't always possible.

Comment

I never liked hot showers, and have been doing cold rinse for years; helps close pores.
                WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Comment

Thanks for the input guys!

Re: Being too cold in the wintertime... Its winter here in Perth, and the week I started this challenge, my house was like 12C/56F (no heating here). So to be totally honest, I don't consider that to be an excuse. We can always come up with a justification for not doing something, or we can just do it. Lately, I've started choosing the latter and my life has soared in all areas.

At the end of the day, the cold shower challenge might not be for everyone, but the idea of pushing our edges and making ourselves uncomfortable everyday is something we should all embrace IMOl!
                  Last edited by phildrolet; 08-12-2011, 04:10 AM.

Comment

No offense Phil, but you really can't compare winter in Perth where your average low according to the burreau of meteorology is 46F to somewhere in the Northern Hemisphere that has an average low of 14F or less.
                    Beginning of Primal Journey:
                    Date: 4/6/2011
                    Weight: 247

Progress:

“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” ~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

a few years ago our water heater quit working and i had to take a cold shower one day, not usually a big deal except it was 12° outside and the water was really really really cold. i literally thought i was going to die while taking the shower it was so cold. it took me 3 hours to warm up and quit shivering after i got out

having said that i will often times rinse off with cold water after a warm shower and its no big deal
                      Primal Chaos
                      37yo 6'5"
                      6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                      current 338lbs 49" waist
                      goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Growing up in Peru I got used to taking cold showers, we didn't at the time have a heating system in the house like we do now ("we" being my relative. I don't live there anymore) it wasn't nearly as cold as NJ cold water though! but I can't stand hot water.

My gf and I can't even take showers together because of our temp preferences. I mean, don't get it twisted, a playa still jumps in the shower, takes care of bidness then allows the lady to exit so he can rinse polar-bear style. I know you didn't need to know that, but I needed to say it.

I'm up for the challenge of taking cold showers as opposed to just cold rinses as I currently do. So, the water is supposed to be cold the entire time? looks like I'm gonna cut my shower time in half. I'll start tonight. I hear cold baths are supposed to help a lot with recovery and limiting soreness, so I'll pay attention to that even though it won't be the same.
                        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

foremost, it's rather false to assume that if someone isn't doing this, then they are not pushing themselves, or making themselves uncomfortable on purpose, or pushing their edges or whatever. there are *a lot* of ways of doing this (meditation being one that is particularly difficult), and they don't have to be physical in nature.

i spent about 7 years taking cool showers with cold-water rinses in the US, wherein I would get out of the shower and feel warm within a few minutes. But here, the hot water heater isn't that efficient, i turn the water off between sections of the shower (washing my hair -- wet, shampoo, rinse -- to save water and power), and it doesn't heat up that high. But, it's warm-ish.

I only do this every 3rd day in winter, because it is cold here. It's a wet, clinging cold. If i switched from my warm shower (and warm sponge baths) -- which is the only way that I can tolerate it -- then I would be cold for hours, perhaps all day, and simply unable to function due to that. And i'm not adverse to being cold, but if it gets to the point of distraction, it's just not good for me. If i can't work because i'm sitting there shivering, because some guy on the interwebs said that i had "no excuse" and 'wasn't pushing myself" -- then that makes no sense, does it?

Anyway, end of the day, i'm a female with about 18% body fat, who has a lot of austere practices -- standing desk, sitting on the floor, practicing yoga, practicing meditation, intermittant fasting, etc -- and I think that if I have a warm shower every third day and a wash-cloth bath every day in between with warm water, it's probably ok.

As it is, i'm not really warm during the winters -- whether i was in PA and walking 5 or 6 miles in the snow (for kicks, and yes, bundled up, but you still get cold) -- or i'm here, where the cold just clings to you, and then the wind rips on through, and the houses are wet, uninsulated, and have limited heat (we are blessed to have some insulation and a gas heater -- but I only use the gas heater about 2 hrs a day IF i feel that we need it, otherwise, we just put on another layer and shiver until you get warm.

So, yeah, i think i'm doing ok, even without cold showers.

Comment

oh, and my showers last about 5-7 minutes, with probably 2-3 minutes of running water. And my bathing (with a cloth), takes longer, but uses even less water, and i just use cold or warm as it comes out of the tap (btw, the tap is divided between cold and hot, and so turning on the hot doesn't necessarily mean hot water coming out!).

but, like i said, that's probably austere enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post
                              a few years ago our water heater quit working and i had to take a cold shower one day, not usually a big deal except it was 12° outside and the water was really really really cold. i literally thought i was going to die while taking the shower it was so cold. it took me 3 hours to warm up and quit shivering after i got out

having said that i will often times rinse off with cold water after a warm shower and its no big deal
                              It was about 30 degrees out and I was 7 months pregnant when our hot water heater went kaputz. And I hate to skip a shower before work, so in I went. That was not a refreshing experience, lol. Currently I'm enjoying the cold showers, but when winter hits I'm pretty sure that's going to stop.
                              I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X