Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fitday

Hey

So real quick...I have been using myfitnesspal for quite sometime. I decided to try and start a fitday account because everyone talks so highly of it..The trouble I am finding though is I can't find specific foods. I have to create practically every item and it is very time consuming...just wondering if there are any tips to get going with fitday. I want to use it so I can really see the charts but it seems way more complicated then myfitnesspal.

what kinds of foods are you looking for.

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

I'd actually really like the answer to this to. I've been using My Daily Plate and tried to switch to fitday, but couldn't find anything. My very first search (fried eggs) yielded not a single result for actual "fried eggs" (the first hit was scrambled eggs, the second McDonald's scrambled eggs). Then, I tried searching Designer Whey Protein Powder. Again, a bunch of generic hits, but not specific hit. Same thing w/ "cheddar cheese"...the first hit was "cheddar cheese soup"?? In Daily Plate they have almost every brand-name and food & what you search is what you get. I've given up on fitday. Is there a special way to use it?

Comment

fitday allows you to create custom foods and i feel that keeps you more accountable. try searching for eggs first then search the ingredient you fried them in and enter the amount 1tbsp etc. you get a much better idea of what you're actually taking in when you break it down by ingredients

Comment

OK. Sorry if I'm being dense, but even a search for "eggs" doesn't give me a single hit on actual, normal eggs. I just typed it in and 1st hit was "Mcdonald's, scrambled eggs", then "eggs, scrambled, frozen"...then stuff with fish in it.

What am I doing wrong?

Comment

You have to get used to fitday searches

Try "Egg, whole, fried" for fried eggs.

It seems that lots of stuff just doesn't come out with the search so you might try different keywords.

For example "beef" doesn't get you a lot of beef related foods - try it, it's a good laugh!

but.. if you know how to do search you'll find them..

It just takes time to get used to

Comment

OK. I see the difference. Looks like the fitday searches are very tempermental. I originally tried "eggs, whole, fried" and got nothing related. Even making the egg (single) into eggs (plural) knocked out the search completely. But, once I got it singular, I got the hits. I'm going to have to mess around w/ this some more, but I see the issue now.

How about searching for specific brand-names? Any tricks to that? e.g. Designer Whey Protein Powder?

Comment

I guess there are major fast-food chain items present, but I don't think this applies to supplements. In fact I'd be surprised if you'll find any protein powder there at all.

I save myself a headache and just do custom foods with my supplements and vitamins. Once they are in place it's easy..

Comment

OK. Gotcha..thanks for taking me thro' it. Hopefully it answers Lindsay0311's questions too. Looks like some initial set-up required, but I see how it works now.

Comment

This does...I was having the same problems as nina....hopefully I can get used to this because it is very interesting seeing the graphs...it sounds like it can be time consuming too but I guess I will have to deal with it..thanks for the insight!

Comment

Well - I'm personally very happy with graphs in fitday. Best thing in my opinion.

It's very motivating to take a look at your last 5 month's weight loss goal graph and see a steady decline

Comment

The best way to use Fitday is to "Browse", not "Search". The latter seldom works, coming up with every food with the word sought in it. You want "butter?" Well, we will also provide butter cookies, peanut butter, etc.

I have perhaps 5 dozen custom foods, Fitday is that bad. They do not use the USDA database necessarily. A lot of their foods are "Puerto Rican!" Really, look up sweet potatoes, I think. They use no standard taxonomy or alphabetizing. Many foods are just flat wrong. A lot of fat free vegetables show up with fat!

All these reasons are why I've never upgraded to a paid version. Too much frustration and pain.

Comment

I've been using Daily Burn. It seems to have most foods that I have put in so far (even eggs, haha). It's free as well. I like how it gives me alarming exclamation points next to my fat percentage for the day ;P

Comment

I've found The Daily Plate to be good most of the time. Tried Fitday once but just didn't find it useful at all. I only use that sort of thing about once a month, mostly out of curiosity to see if there's anything I can "optimise". My only complaint is that it's plastered with CW. Seeing that I'm eating several times the recommended amount of fat is nice though .

Comment

You know you can create custom foods in My Fitness Pal too, right?

I switched to MFP from Fitday because Fitday's searches drove me crazy. While I missed Fitday's daily pie chart, I really liked MFP's "recently added foods" list that eliminates the need to search for items I eat almost daily.

These days, I don't use either one. I'm FREE!!!

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Working...
                              X