Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eyesight improving... is it diet related.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyesight improving... is it diet related.

In the past 9 months or so.. I’ve had to go back to the eye doctor 2 times because my contact lens prescription is changing. I started out with -3.75, went to -3.50 and now -3.25.

What that means is my eyesight is improving. The diet and adding fish oil is really the only things that changed… Could it be diet related?

Definitely diet related. My optometrist confirmed this. He has had patients go on the Atkins diet and also have there eye sight improve.

Comment

Nice. Although going back to the doc and getting new contacts is a pain in the butt and costs money, I guess I can't complain.

Comment

Arthur is that myopia? Also, how old are you?

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
        "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

I have a hard time seeing distances... so yes I think it's myopia.

Comment

After a phase of drinking a lot of fresh carrot/apple/ginger juice, I had an eye exam and was pleased/surprised when my optometrist told me that my vision had actually improved.

Comment

Hmm, that is interesting. One of my eyes went from -3.0 to -2.75 while the other stayed steady at -2.5, 2 years after last having them checked. Prior to that, my eyesight had been slowly worsening for 12 years or so.

I didn't make the connection with diet. How would diet affect the shape of the eyeball?

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Comment

I know omega 3s are good for eyesight... maybe adding nutrient dense foods like more fruit, veg, good fats helped it.

Also, removing the inflammation properties of grains... perhaps.

I don't know exactly what is causing the sudden improvement but something is casuing it to happen... my guess is diet... since it's the only thing I changed.

Comment

Oh wow, just read this in Wiki article on myopia:

One 2002 article suggested that myopia may be caused by over-consumption of bread in childhood, or in general by diets too rich in carbohydrates, which can lead to chronic hyperinsulinemia. Various other components of the diet, however, were made responsible for contributing to myopia as well, as summarized in a documentation.

Here is link to article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1909075.stm

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Comment

Oh and of course working out hard must improve vision

Nice article... guess I may be the proof they need... lol.

Comment

It is weird indeed.

Don't quote me on this one, but I think that myopia could be counterbalanced by early hypermetropia (longsightedness). Hypermetropia, which tends to come with age, results from a lack of accommodation of the crystalline lens due to issues with "tired" cilliary muscles (which reshape the crystalline) or issues with the crystalline itself. But then you are 32, which sounds kind of young for hypermethropia.

Anyway, my take is that you could be experiencing an overlap in the transition from myopia into myopia + early hypermetropia, causing a temporary correction of myopia.

If, in your case, it was your hypermetropia the one being corrected, it could make sense to hypothesize that diet could have a positive impact on the functionality of the cilliary muscles or maybe in the composition of the crystalline. But myopia, which as MariaNYC says, is linked to the anatomy and not the physiology of the eye? Other than what I mentioned above, I am clueless.

Edit: nice link Maria. It makes a lot of sense, but the question is still there: how can a change of diet in adulthood change the anatomy of the eyeballs and head, when these have stopped growing a long time ago?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
                      "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

Why would they get worse as I get older then... my anatomy isn't changing yet my perscription was getting stronger.

hmmm... so your saying i may be getting worse seeing closer and that's causing it to get better seeing farther.

I haven't really noticed any issues reading...

Comment

thats what I am wondering. The reason why you have to wait until you are 22 or so to get eye laser surgery is precisely because that's the age when your eyes and head stop growing and, therefore, when your myopia reaches it's peak.

So it comes down to 2 possibilities: either your head and eyes are changing shape at 32, or there is something changing in the inner workings of your eyes. Hypermetropia, although uncommon at 32, would be the more likely cause.

But then I'm a Biologist, not an Ophthalmologist...

Comment

But as people age, their perscription generally gets stronger... yet their anatomy isn't changing...

Comment

"or there is something changing in the inner workings of your "

Must be the heavy squats and sprints

Comment

Working...
                              X