My cute husband - dog food

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My cute husband - dog food

We've been feeding our dog her regular grainy kibble for breakfast but have switched to giving her raw meat w/bones for dinner ... and when we run out of this kibble we'll get grain-free kibble for the mornings.

My husband was just feeding her and I heard:

*scooop*

*excited dog sounds*

*food pours in bowl*

"Don't worry Zora! We'll get you some grain-free food soon!"

*chomp chomp chomp*

Aw, my husband is so darling. I love that he's embracing this.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Aww bless him! Just out of interest, how is Zora doing on "PB"?

Comment

Zora's only been getting meat dinners for about a week but she LOVES it.

Can't say she's primal yet because of her grainy breakfasts, but I'm sure she'll take to it well.

I'm hoping it will improve her teeth (they're not bad at all but she does get a little plaque on the outsides of her top molars) and her breath (also not horrid but could be better).

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

I don't think I can afford to put my dogs on a strictly primal diet, but I'm definitely going to start feeding them better dog food from now on. It's been the plan for some time, but I'm financially strapped right now.

Comment

It might not be as bad as you think... her normal food is about $1/pound, and the grain-free is $1.50/pound if you get a good deal. BUT the grain-free is more nutrient-dense so they don't need as much so a pound will last longer.

Also, some cuts of meat can be really cheap too... we've been getting her turkey tails because it's the cheap "scraps" available right now. We're going to ask the butcher if he has any other scraps or organs he could give us for cheap.

I figure if I pour some cod liver oil ( a Tbsp or so) on her grain-free kibble in the morning it will help her get the Omega 3:6 back in balance from eating the conventional meat.

I really think it might cost an extra 10-20 dollars a month, Tops to feed her this way.

Comment

What's the name and brand of your grain free food?

Comment

the brand is Wellness... the one I'm going to try anyway. There are other grain-free brands out there though.

Comment

I feed my dogs Innova Evo. It's grain free as well. We did feed them a raw diet and they loved it, but it's expensive and we switched back to the Evo.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
                Current weight: 199
                Goal: 145

Comment

We've just started using the Wellness Core too. It seems great. We tried Evo before and his stools never firmed up. Taste of the Wild was good for good stools, but he didn't seem like he liked it much.

PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

Has anyone tried the Blue Buffalo brand of dog/cat food? I've got cats and want to switch to something more primal (can't believe that soy is in most kibble blends). Blue Buffalo has a mix for cats that is based on the diet of a lynx but it's $30 for a 12lb bag (eek!). I'm going to check into some of the other brands you've all mentioned too.

Comment

I am kind of in the same boat. My family has a 240lb old English mastiff, so I am currently looking into a "less-un-primal" but still affordable option...

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
                      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
                      "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

@musajen - for cats I'd really recommend going fully wet if you can't go raw (which is even better). Dry food is a big issue (in general) since cats are poor drinkers by nature and meant to get their moisture from food. I found this out the hard way when my cat got urinary issues that almost killed her (so, happen to be a bit passionate about this )Have a look at EVO95%, Nature's Variety Instinct, By Nature's Organic. Cats don't need any carbs whatsoever...they are obligate carnivores.

Also, read here for more about cat food in general:

http://www.catinfo.org/

@FlyNavyWife - awesome job on the Primal switch...both with the dog and the hubby

Comment

nina - thanks so much for the link and recommendations. Will definitely do more research and get the kitties switched over to a more natural diet for them.

Comment

We gave my dog (English bulldog) the Wellness One food for a while and she didn't like it. She eventually ate it when we'd pour bacon grease or something else on top. I thought she would love it because she only eats meat or cheese products and won't eat any other types of table scraps. Oh well, she's picky.

Comment

Dogs are true omnivores. They are capable of synthesizing necessary proteins from really unreliable sources of nutrition. Sure, they benefit from a carnivorous diet, but don't be afraid of throwing in random root vegetables and scraps.

Cats on the other hand are strict carnivores. We feed our cat (formerly plural) Evo... it's a good buy. I supplement with whatever scraps of meat i am cooking that night, especially organ meats.

Comment

Working...
                              X