Is cardio bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is cardio bad?

Or just unneccesary? I had so much fun today doing a Turbo Jam video with some of my friends. It's like dancing and kick boxing together! lol

I still have 30 lbs to lose, so is cardio going to help the process along, or hinder it in some way?

I'm also weight lifting once a week and practicing yoga once a week.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Excessive cardio is bad, but if it's something fun and you don't do it every single day, wearing yourself out completely, I'd say there's nothing wrong with it.

I'm thinking of taking up running again, a few days a week. I miss it.

Comment

You had fun doing it so keep it up. Its cardio like running for over an hour that can be very stressful on the body.

Comment

Unless it really gets to be chronic, I think it's beneficial. Cardio builds endurance and endurance can help you in sprints and weightlifting and for energy for life in general. The cardio should be heavy though and get you sweating hard.

Comment

Awesome, thanks ladies! It was a blast, and a great adreneline rush. 45 min of high energy fun.

-John Lennon

Comment

I think I'd like to give it a try. I really need to find something to get my butt moving again.

Comment

If your experience is closer to fun than to work, then it probably isn't all that bad for you and you should continue doing so. When you start staring at the clock every few minutes then it might be time to reconsider what you are doing.

Comment

BlazeKING, I was sweating a TON. It was kind of shocking actually! lol

Diana, try it! If you like to dance and like to punch and kick to rockin' music, you'll like it.

I agree mstrudle, when it's torture, WTH is the point!?!

-John Lennon

Comment

OMG, It sounds perfect!

Comment

I don't think you would ever have to worry about too much stress on your body in an hour workout. Remember, that there were certainly days a primal person would have been on the move all day. The chronic cardio thing is more of an issue for more extreme training. For what most people are doing in a day, I think the point is more that it isn't necessary to push yourself in an extreme way. It's always going to be important to keep your heart conditioned with regular cardio so great for you that you found another workout that you enjoy. Sounds like it also meets the "play" criteria. What more could you ask for?

Comment

Having done those DVDs, I don't think they're bad. They're designed such that your heart rate isn't at a max the whole duration of the DVD - there are short intervals of higher intensity moves and then ample cool-down.

Comment

If you can find the kind of excerise that is fun to you... that's huge.

Comment

i haven't completely given it up i love sweating for a prolonged period haha. i do 20min tabata style stuff or 30 day shred during the week and on the weekend i like to go out for a longer run 4-6miles. it just feels nice after the HIIT during the week.

i DON'T miss 30mpw! these days i range from 5-12mpw

Comment

Sounds like a blast to me! I wonder if the primal woman wrestled around as well? I am sure there was dancing though, just that they didn't think of every moment as cardio or exercise just life.

Mama to 4, wife to my love

Comment

I talked to a doctor the other day and mentioned that I heard that excessive cardio is bad for the heart because it forces it to beat like a metronome which is unnatural. He kind of gave me a funny look and said, "Well, yeah, that's why you vary your pace and intensity as you run. Running at one pace is just bad running."

Why didn't I ever think of that...

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Working...
                              X