Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Success Story... at least, the first bit.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peril View Post
    Love the attitude Griff. Too many here miss the concept of restoring health to lose weight. They think it works the other way round. The implication is, of course, that cheating with unhealthy food really does impede your recovery. You constantly remind us that it is possible to not cheat. But perhaps one really has to be in a position of having one's life threatened by ill-health to really get it.
    You and I and Griff all have that in common. Post breast cancer I was told by the oncologist that the best thing I could do to prevent a recurrence was to get some weight off of me. Not dying is a much stronger motivator than vanity could ever be.

Comment

Originally posted by Suse View Post
      excellent Griff. I'm very pleased for your new found health and wellbeing. I know you are a big advocate of eating more fat can you tell us about an average day in your diet (I mean in the what you eat sense, not fad diet sense)
      Well, here's a typical day's intake for me:

Breakfast: 3-4 scrambled eggs and 5-7 strips of bacon, with coffee and heavy cream. Eggs are, of course, fried in the bacon fat. I might have half a Haas avocado in there, too.

Lunch (only if I'm hungry, and I may or may not be on a given day): A can of water-pack tuna, drained, and combined with diced green olives, dill pickle, real whole-fat mayonnaise, salt and pepper, green onions, diced celery, and avocado.

Dinner is usually what we call a "curry" (a sauce) based in high-fat ground beef (73/27 is the best) with onions, and then spiced and altered in half a dozen different ways: pizza sauce, Mexican flavors, stroganoff, bourginon, Indian curry... and served in a bowl, with a spoon, and a big green salad with high-fat (ideally bleu cheese) dressing slathered on it liberally.
      Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Griff, you were the first person I read when coming on MDA, and this is my 1000 post--dedicated to you. Thanks for all the inspiration, and occasional ass-kicking.
        This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
        Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

What an amazing and inspiring story, Griff!! Congratulations!! Thanks for sharing!!

Sometimes the best part of our own success is helping someone else see the light!

Comment

Originally posted by Griff View Post
            A friend of mine who followed in my footsteps about six months after I started (and who has seen similar success) commented on my blog post: "I love this post so much I want to take it out and buy it a steak dinner."

Heheheheheh.
            That's cute!

Comment

Well, here's a typical day's intake for me:

Breakfast: 3-4 scrambled eggs and 5-7 strips of bacon, with coffee and heavy cream. Eggs are, of course, fried in the bacon fat. I might have half a Haas avocado in there, too.

Lunch (only if I'm hungry, and I may or may not be on a given day): A can of water-pack tuna, drained, and combined with diced green olives, dill pickle, real whole-fat mayonnaise, salt and pepper, green onions, diced celery, and avocado.

Dinner is usually what we call a "curry" (a sauce) based in high-fat ground beef (73/27 is the best) with onions, and then spiced and altered in half a dozen different ways: pizza sauce, Mexican flavors, stroganoff, bourginon, Indian curry... and served in a bowl, with a spoon, and a big green salad with high-fat (ideally bleu cheese) dressing slathered on it liberally.
              Yum! Do you make your own mayo and bleu cheese dressing?

Comment

Good for you Griff! You did it all on your own steam, with good health as your goal. WTG!
                Originally posted by Digby View Post
                Thanks for all the inspiration, and occasional ass-kicking.
                Also, I think your "tough love" statements are much needed on the forums. It's keeping it real.
                No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
                -Buddha

Comment

Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
                  Yum! Do you make your own mayo and bleu cheese dressing?
                  Griff,
                  do you make your own mayo and dressing. Or is there a natural store bought brand you purchase?

Comment

Griff,
                    Would you mind sharing the recipes for your many sauces? We love ground beef, but haven't really tried anything past tacos.

Comment

Originally posted by croí View Post
                      Griff,
                      do you make your own mayo and dressing. Or is there a natural store bought brand you purchase?
                      I don't make my own, sadly. There are a few places that I still make non-Primal concessions

As far as the sauces - they aren't sauces so much as spice combinations. So:

For Italian food: black pepper, salt, oregano, basil, fennel seed, garlic. Add some mushrooms and tomatoes and let that puppy simmer for twenty minutes or so.

For Mexican flavors: chili powder, garlic, cumin, red pepper flakes, oregano, black pepper, salt. Add some tomatoes, black olives, and onion, and you have a meal.

For the bourginon, it's even simpler: garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, and burgundy wine, a big can of diced tomatoes, and a pound of bacon.

For East Indian: garam masala, curry powder, cumin, black pepper, garlic, fresh ginger, a bit of salt. We generally add sun-dried tomatoes to this.

For stroganoff: nutmeg, Worcestershire sauce, and black pepper - and mushrooms and sour cream.

Really, just look at different cuisines and identify the main spices used in them, then just season the ground beef-and-onion mixture to those spices.
                      Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Comment

I don't make my own, sadly. There are a few places that I still make non-Primal concessions

As far as the sauces - they aren't sauces so much as spice combinations. So:

For Italian food: black pepper, salt, oregano, basil, fennel seed, garlic. Add some mushrooms and tomatoes and let that puppy simmer for twenty minutes or so.

For Mexican flavors: chili powder, garlic, cumin, red pepper flakes, oregano, black pepper, salt. Add some tomatoes, black olives, and onion, and you have a meal.

For the bourginon, it's even simpler: garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, and burgundy wine, a big can of diced tomatoes, and a pound of bacon.

For East Indian: garam masala, curry powder, cumin, black pepper, garlic, fresh ginger, a bit of salt. We generally add sun-dried tomatoes to this.

For stroganoff: nutmeg, Worcestershire sauce, and black pepper - and mushrooms and sour cream.

Really, just look at different cuisines and identify the main spices used in them, then just season the ground beef-and-onion mixture to those spices.
                        Awesome! Thank you, this will help alot with my new education in the kitchen. ; )

Comment

Griff, thank you for the inspiration!

At 430# (down from 465#), I'm just starting my primal life. I'll be combing through your post, a great deal!
                          I'm just your average, legendary superhero, trapped in a lump of flesh.

Scottish Highland Games: a sport where the fat kid gets picked FIRST.

Comment

Originally posted by BryanC View Post
                            Griff, thank you for the inspiration!

At 430# (down from 465#), I'm just starting my primal life. I'll be combing through your post, a great deal!
                            Bryan: You can do this. My advice in addition to doing full-on Primal is to drink lots and lots of water. I found that when I drank at least 80 ounces a day, I could count on a consistent one-pount weight loss each week. It may not sound like much, but one pound a week is 52 pounds per year, which is not shabby.

Comment

Bryan: You can do this. My advice in addition to doing full-on Primal is to drink lots and lots of water. I found that when I drank at least 80 ounces a day, I could count on a consistent one-pount weight loss each week. It may not sound like much, but one pound a week is 52 pounds per year, which is not shabby.
                              Would this be adjusted if someone was of my size, 5'2 135'ish? Thanks, Griff.
                              If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Originally posted by lssanjose View Post
                                Would this be adjusted if someone was of my size, 5'2 135'ish? Thanks, Griff.
                                I don't think that a six-inch difference in height makes that much of a difference. RDA is 64 ounces/day (8 cups) so I tried to go beyond that to 10.

Comment

Working...
                                X