Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost 6.2 pounds since Sunday. Is everybody having these sort of results?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost 6.2 pounds since Sunday. Is everybody having these sort of results?

Hi,

I ended up on this website as a result of first seeing the movie fathead and by an influence from a good friend of mine whom only ASKED me to find the movie for him and then I watched it which motivated me to do research and to actually try a different way of eating (i.e. no wheat, no sugar, no legumes, etc..). He also had mentioned to me (which I fully disagreed with) some "laws" about eating.. Obviously I was wrong.

In any case, Since this past Sunday I've been on a fairly strict no sugar diet limiting it to no more than 100 grams a day. I have been eating meat in some cases for breakfast, having diet drinks instead of the real thing, no cheese/no dairy at all, eating as much fat as I care to such as (I used to take this off) the skin off a roasted chicken. In fact, I went to costco and had their hotdog there removing the bun and putting a very little amount of ketchup on it with a diet pepsi. I DO fully realize that I have no idea how the hot dog was filled and cooked and all that (whether in Vegetable oil or whatever..).. For all that said, I have had a steady loss of about 1 pound a day. I never thought I'd lose weight that fast without exercising.

I went from 192.4 on Sunday morning to 186.2 this morning. That's staggering for me.

I'd love to hear from everybody else how they are doing?

edit: I'm 37 and 5'8.

Thanks,

Majestic
    Last edited by MajesticOne; 04-16-2011, 08:10 AM.

congrats on your success! I know if you have more weight to lose (I don't know your stats other than weight) it certainly seems to come off a lot quicker in the beginning for those folks. I don't have as much to lose, so I rely more on the mirror/pants fitting/inches than pounds. I will say 100g seems like a lot of sugar to me (this is coming from someone who pretty much used to polish off a pack of oreos by herself in one sitting) but idk Sounds like you are off to a great start though!

Comment

It does seem like the first several pounds come off really quickly when one makes to switch from SAD to Primal. I dropped 6 lbs. in the first two weeks, then the remaining 14 lbs. I needed to lose took another six weeks with a couple of plateaus where I'd go for days and not lose an ounce, then all of the sudden 3 or 4 lbs. would go. Different folks lose at different rates, plateau for longer or shorter periods of time, and so on.

Don't be discouraged if/when your rate of loss slows down or stops for a while, just keep on keepin' on, you won't be sorry.

Comment

hmm .. I heard that if your gonna have pop you might as well go with the real thing cause the diet crap has sooo much extra *crap* in it to make it *diet*

WOOT Wow congrats on your Fast loss!! me I dropped 4 lbs my first week 11 the first month, 8 the 2nd month, 5 the 3rd.. right now I'm down a tot of 32 .. Only 20 more to go .. but I've hit a plateau.. I'm not worried about it though as long as I *feel good* ( I won't take up to much of your thread space to talk about myself thou.. ;-)

I look forward to hearing more of your journey
        "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
        Currant: 136 lbs
        Goal: 125 lbs
        11 more lbs to go

Follow My Journey :-)

Comment

Welcome!

The initial loss is mostly water weight, just so you know!
          Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
          Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
          Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I know last week I dropped 8 lbs from Friday to Friday. This week I dropped 1 but put visible muscle mass (This is after several weeks of being primal, along with earlier weight loss).
            Midterms.

Comment

I dropped 9 lbs in my first month (I had already lost 11 lbs this year on a conventional diet). Since then I might be down another pound or two but things have slowed down quite a bit. I am noticing though that my thighs, waist, and neck are slimmer and I think I even popped a bicep muscle in front of the mirror tonight
              Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
              Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
              CW: 146.8 lbs
              GW 140 lbs
              A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

It's not unusual! Congrats on the great start - sounds like you've got quite a journey ahead of you.
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Yup perhaps its because I've just started and my body is quickly adapting (getting rid of all the crap I've been feeding it). 100g seems realistic in my life though although now those sugars are coming from apples, bananas and almonds.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                    Welcome!

The initial loss is mostly water weight, just so you know!
                    Yup that's what my wife said too Although I dropped another 6 ounces since yesterday! Man I have never lost weight like this. Love it! I hope it stays off!!! I want to put muscle in its place (I am active at the gym 2 - 3 times a week.. although I haven't been there for the past 2 weeks due to a neck strain and went back yesterday. Meanwhile I've lost more weight without the gym :P)

Comment

Originally posted by Modern Cave Women View Post
                      hmm .. I heard that if your gonna have pop you might as well go with the real thing cause the diet crap has sooo much extra *crap* in it to make it *diet*

WOOT Wow congrats on your Fast loss!! me I dropped 4 lbs my first week 11 the first month, 8 the 2nd month, 5 the 3rd.. right now I'm down a tot of 32 .. Only 20 more to go .. but I've hit a plateau.. I'm not worried about it though as long as I *feel good* ( I won't take up to much of your thread space to talk about myself thou.. ;-)

I look forward to hearing more of your journey

Yes, I know the diet drinks have all these chemicals in them. I'm wondering if splenda would still be a good substitute. There's just not enough information about it out there yet and it's certainly not as bad as aspartame. In any case I still love a carbonated soda that's for sure.

11 pounds the first month is quite good! I'm wondering.. Since I've already dropped almost 7 pounds my first week if I can lose another 7 by next week. I'll keep everybody updated!!

Majestic

Comment

Originally posted by MajesticOne View Post
                        Yes, I know the diet drinks have all these chemicals in them. I'm wondering if splenda would still be a good substitute. There's just not enough information about it out there yet and it's certainly not as bad as aspartame. In any case I still love a carbonated soda that's for sure.
                        Not to be a killjoy here, but there have been numerous studies that show your brain perceives sweet as the need to produce extra insulin to handle it...regardless of whether it's the "real thing" or artificial sweeteners. Hopefully you've read about what too much insulin does to your body.

Another HUGE downside to nearly every soda is the phosphoric acid content. Your body likes to be balanced (homeostasis) and there is a calcium-phosphorus balance. When you increase your phosphoric intake (which nearly all sodas do) your body needs to balance it in the blood steam, and one of the ways it does this is to take calcium from your teeth and bones. Soda is just bad news all the way around.

I can completely sympathize with your love of carbonated beverages. I substituted seltzer water, with a squeeze of lemon, lime, orange, etc in it for my love of carbonation without the ill effects of soda.

Also, continuously providing sweet things to your body sets you up to crave sweets. It's tough, but after a week or so without sweet things, even carrots and broccoli begin to taste sweet.

Congratulations on your success and many continued to you !!!
                        "You can always do more than you think you can !" Sensei Scash

Comment

Yeah, like I said it sounds like you've got the right start but it doesn't sound like you've really taken in yet what "we" do - no sodas, no sugar, no snacking, nothing processed, no fake foods like splenda, eating 3 times a day or less. twice a day is very easy with a little practice. Basically the goal is to eat nothing at all that needs to go through a factory of some kind. So, great start but you'll want to get the Primal Blueprint book and really give it a careful read. You won't get all the way there just eating bunless hot dogs with "not very much" ketchup and diet coke instead of regular.

That said, congrats on the great start - I am trying to nudge you in the right direction, not discourage you!
                          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Hey there, I see that you're well on your way to eating more primal. I used to over eat because I physically never felt full, after I cut out all the diet soda and fake sweeteners and started eating more protein and between 50-100 carbs a day I was feeling full quickly and in my first two months (Actually this january and feburary) I lost 30lbs (15 each month) with zero exersise and that's with a very sedentary computer job.
                            The way it sounds like your eating is out of convenience, which I do as well. I have a laundry list of non-primal habits that I don't have a real strong motivation to give up.
                            For instance I buy low fat cuts of beef because I buy the cheap Grade A london broil for 1.99 per lb, beans (kidney, white,black) when I need a quick snack and I'm low on carbs for the day, protein shakes after these new workouts I'm finally starting, cheat meals (used to be full cheat days) once a week and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

You have a killer great start and it gets easier and easier to become super primal from primal-ish for longer and longer. And once your sensitivity to sweetness comes in you may find, like I did, that soda starts to taste gross and so does regular ketchup.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by MajesticOne View Post

11 pounds the first month is quite good! I'm wondering.. Since I've already dropped almost 7 pounds my first week if I can lose another 7 by next week. I'll keep everybody updated!!

Majestic
                              Artificial sweetners have no place in a healthy lifestyle. No Splenda is not a safe alternative. These products are poisonous. This is about eating real whole foods. "Diet" foods are not healthy in any way. Learn to drink pure water and lots of it. There is nothing better than water. In time you will no longer crave the sodas. Combine real whole foods with lots of water and you will be naturally detoxifying your body on a regular basis. Not only will you continue to get leaner but you will start to feel even better than you ever imagined. Get the toxins out of your life and you won't believe the difference!!

Comment

Working...
                              X