No announcement yet.

Rendering Your Own Lard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting. So are pork rinds just cracklings? I found a nice bag of the things at Whole Foods. No hydrogenated fats, made the "old-fashioned way," which I'm assuming means fried in their own fat.

Comment

Pork rinds are skin/fat done in an oven (to make them dry). They are usually full of salt if you buy them. You can make them at home though.

Cracklings are deep fried skin/fat and are wet and full of liquid when warm.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
      Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
      Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

Sinner and Ecala, I know of a farmer out of Texas that specializes in grass-fed animals, inluding pig. His name is Ted Slanker. I buy from him inbulk. His prices are pretty good. His site is www.slankersgrassfedmeat.com.

Comment

One of my favorite blogs (along with MDA!) is Stephan's Whole Health Source. He wrote a piece on rendering lard in an oven. Find it here: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...d-iv-lard.html

Comment

Lazy persons' method: put pork fat in crock pot, cover with water, leave on low 8-24 hours, put the whole crock in the fridge till cool, remove solid lard to another container (remelt in microwave if you need or just chop it to fit another container).

Yes, pork fat is actually widely available, and is often the cheapest thing in the meat section, you can find it at almost every grocer in the US for about $1-$2 per pound. At that price, it's cheaper than the cheapest vegetable oil !
            Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Comment

Working...
            X