Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can finally hear my body

Hello...

I just wanted to mention that PB has allowed me to finally hear what my body is trying to tell me, especially in regards to hunger.

I have tried for years to listen to my body's signals and the problem was that grains and insulin mask your body's signals and send it false signals that make you eat more.

Has anyone else noticed how much they can hear their body now??

Yes, I have! I will never forget during my first IF and feeling hungry. It was such a new and different feeling for me. Now I like it and think it is normal.
    ~Blog~

Comment

This is big! This is really, really big! YIPPEEE!
      "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

a great point. all it takes is a short commitment to the primal/paleo way to realize what your body actually wants instead of what mass marketing tells your body what to want. it used to be a challenge for me to look at all the fast food/pizza/wing signs along the highway and not get hungry. now i don't even notice them most times. when i do, i kind of chuckle to myself about how the powers that be have such a stanglehold on most people. i find when i do stray, my body punishes me for it by not digesting well and not allowing me to sleep well! it wants whole, healthy, natural food
        Get Motivated:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wRkzCW5qI

Comment

I find that the sensation of hunger itself feels different.

On CW diet hunger feels weak, shaky, and/or cranky
          On PB hunger almost feels empowering, very focused and clear. Like I could go out and spear a bison if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post

On PB hunger almost feels empowering, very focused and clear. Like I could go out and spear a bison if needed.
            YES!! +1
            And doesn't this make WAY more sense evolutionarily?? I remember thinking (when I used to be hypoglycemic and eating loads of carbs) what would I do if I was in the wilderness and I got hungry and I didn't have my power bar on hand? I LOVE the feeling when I'm fasting and am full of energy and drive. I've had so many forehead-slap duh moments since I discovered PB and Robb Wolf's site it's hysterical.
            In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

Comment

awesome!!!!

and yeah. so easy to figure out when primal.

Comment

Exactly. That first thing isn't hunger at all. And, I knew that but I didn't understand it like I do now.

I travel a lot, to weird places, and hate to eat in restaurants alone. So, I lived mostly on nuts, tuna or sardines, and good-ish cereal bars on many trips. I just thought I was lucky that I never really got "hungry" when I wasn't eating, but now I recognize that my stomach actually LIKES to be empty between meals, and I function WELL when I treat food as a fuel instead of building social/work/life events around empty calories.

Integrating your body's messages with your active decisions is one of the greatest benefits of primal.

(I still <3 primal sleep the very most!)
                "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
                "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
                If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's new primal journal

Comment

Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
                  Hello...

I just wanted to mention that PB has allowed me to finally hear what my body is trying to tell me, especially in regards to hunger.

I have tried for years to listen to my body's signals and the problem was that grains and insulin mask your body's signals and send it false signals that make you eat more.

Has anyone else noticed how much they can hear their body now??
                  I just restarted the primal diet today after months of eating rubbish, and I realise that I'm not that hungry when I don't eat grains (surprise surprise), and that I don't really need such copious amounts of food. It's brilliant.

Comment

Yes! This totally!!
                    Pre PB hungry was a desperate "Must eat something right now. Preferably something containing a lot of sugar" and the weak, shaky feeling was horrible. If I tried to ignore those signals, I would feel so spacey.

Now..hungry is more like my stomach sends a little "Hello up there, is there anything happening about a meal any time in the next few hours?" No desperation, no rush and plenty of time and energy to fix something healthy and delicious or indeed forage or hunt for the next meal if that were necessary.

By the same token, "full" feels so different now. No longer bloated, stuffed, drowsy. Now it is more a "Ahh, no longer hungry, that food was delicious, what shall we do now?"

Awesome stuff!!
                    Bee
                    Newly primal mama. Taking my family along on the walk to a healthy, strong and happy primal life.
                    Losing fat, building strength, having fun.
                    My journal is here (please ignore my excessive use of exclamation points and smilies, I just can't help myself! )

Comment

For me, this has been the hugest change. When I first started this process (and I am still very new at it) I would panic because I have blood sugar issues and I couldn't tell if I was hungry or not. In the past, I could never let myself get hungry; if I did, it was a huge SOS. It took me some time to trust my body. Yesterday I ate only some chicken soup and a banana and felt fine. Today, I've eaten two square (and probably will eat three square) meals. Every day is different, and it is so great to be able to HEAR what your body needs.

Comment

I used to overeat when stressed, now I can't eat. Instead, I feel a little nauseated and food is not enticing. I'm guessing Grok, when under stress (getting chased by the proverbial tiger), didn't stop to gorge himself. I also love that i sometimes forget to eat because it means that i've ceased to think about food constantly, never would have happened on the SAD.
                        True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
                        The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Comment

Working...
                        X