Any other college-age primals?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The hardest thing really is:

1) Free food is usually pizza and I cannot resist food if it is free, or the free indian vegetarian cooking class every tuesday night with large amounts of food... free...

2) Going out with friends to eat, but that is a rare weekend treat so I'm okay with that

3) Beer... delicious beer, which is one of my favorite substances on the planet, but I have drastically decreased the quantity I drink, and increased the quality instead

I wouldn't say I eat a primal diet yet, as I haven't committed myself 100%, but when I cook for myself I basically limit it to meat/eggs + veggies... so that's a start at least. And the snacks in my room are almonds, walnuts, or fruit.

Don't drink soda or juice (but haven't yet cut out dairy....)

But going out with the friends on the weekends is, I guess, okay, though not ideal... but at least it's only a few times a week

Last night, for example.... terrible, I had an espresso (perfectly fine), ice cream (not at all), and we went to this classsy pizza joint (not at all ok either)

But I figure the occasional going out with friends thing is okay, pretty much the entire week up till today I cooked most meals for myself or got salads from delis...

Comment

The thing gettin me through college is primal sandwiches. easy to make, wrap in foil and go.

2 Nappa cabbage leaves work great for bread. just slap some turkey, tomato, pickles, mustard and go.

Comment

Junior-ish in SoDak. I'm living off campus, and I enjoy it heavily. But, it can be done. Basically go through your cafeteria line thinking like Grok. Imagine that you are on the great plains stalking your prey. Though the mastodon, antelope, deer, and bison are absent, in their place: hamburger patties, cheese slices, beef roasts, bacon slices, pork chops, and the elusive steak. Be patient, and stalk lightly. Leave none to be wasted! But, you might want to leave the spear and sling in the dorm room...

Also, get a phone book, look up your local butcher's shop(s), and ask them for tallow, tongue, and liver. These will inevitably be the cheapest/free items that a poor college student can afford. Also, look around town for a "farmer's market" for fresh chicken or duck eggs, and POSSIBLY a hook-up for REAL cream. At my school, there are mini-kitchens, and after talking to my friends at other schools, it's quite common. Go to the nearest dollar store, pick up some pans, and start cooking bacon, steaks, eggs etc.! I really don't eat snacks too much anymore. I basically eat only 2 meals a day, and sometimes just 1. I'm just not super hungry anymore! Big breakfast of eggs, cream, tallow, and deer. I'm stuffed until 4 or 5. BUT, if you REALLY need something, just cook a bunch of bacon ahead of time and baggie them up! Just be creative!

GOOD LUCK

Greg

Comment

I just finished Uni in the UK (University of Edinburgh). I was in halls of residence for my first year, where we were given breakfast and dinner, and "off campus" for the other three years. That's the usual setup here, although people are given a choice of catered or self-catered in first year if they go for halls; I just happened to choose catered.

This was long before I was into healthy eating, but the choice was decent. For breakfast there was a full selection of cooked items: eggs, sausages, bacon, all the rest. Plenty fruit too; cereal and toast were of course also on offer. It was pretty much a case of help yourself. There was a "point system": you can take 6 points worth of food. 3 points was enough for a pretty decent breakfast, so I'd use the other 3 to grab stuff for lunch: a couple of bacon rolls (I did say this was before I was into healthy eating!) and an apple.

Dinner was OK too, there was a good choice: one meat dish was always on offer, along with a veggie option, and for the carb fans there was always pizza, pasta, and chips. It was the usual queue up and tell the server what you want deal, so nothing stopping you from asking for the meat and the veg without the starchy side then hitting the salad bar. Again, point system allowance was enough even for a greedy bastard like me; from what I gather they've now scrapped the point system altogether and it's now all you can eat!

Of course, you're still having to compromise; I'd guess that most of the food was low quality meat and cooked in vegetable oil. The golden rule still applies: if you want healthy food you gotta cook it yourself. If I were to go back now I'd choose self-catered.

Also we had kitchenettes that had a fridge, kettle, toaster, and microwave. You can prepare a surprising amount of food with these!

Comment

Yea, in the U.S. a "meal plan" (catered) is REQUIRED. The only way to get out of it (I did, so I know the process) is if you have severe food allergies, another medical reason, or a religious reason. You have to provide several forms of documentation from your doctor. Sighed written notes, allergy tests, letters, food journals, etc. I have a friend who is Muslim and kosher so she also got out of the meal plan. She had to have a religious leader sign papers, etc.

Oh, but that is not all. The paperwork gets sent in along with all the notes and extra stuff... and gets reviewed by a committee. Mine got reviewed twice, and still I was put on a "120 meal plan" (which is much less than the general required one) since there were no on-campus apartments (with a kitchenette) available. I just got word a few days ago that there is a space open now... so I am moving Friday! I never set foot in a cafeteria so I won't get charged anything for the food I didn't eat, but I do have to pay more for my new room (even though I still have a roommate). So it SUCKS.

Comment

By the way, I got off on the allergy reason. I am very allergic to Soy. And thank God for it.

Comment

klcarbaugh, that does sound kind of bad

I never lived on campus and got through 6 years of college living on my own. I think I'm too independent to stand someone telling me that I HAVE to have their meal plans or I HAVE to live with someone I don't care much about. As long as there are other options out there, I'll do anything in my power to have it the way I want to have it.

Comment

Kind of reviving this topic as i'm in residence, with a meal plan, new to primal eating and trying to navigate the cafeteria. Unfortunately, i'll likely be in the same situation next year too. How bad are deli meats? I know Mark is very against them but if it's the best I can do some days, is it better off? Most of the meats they serve at our cafeteria seem heavily processed but occasionally there is real steak, chicken, etc. The salad bar is definitely a lifessaver, and there's bacon, eggs, sausage every morning. Another aside, how many hard boiled eggs a day is too many? They are the easiest.

Comment

Working...
                  X