Primal PCOS'ers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal PCOS'ers?

Just curious if there are any PCOS'ers having success with PB and what your success has been(weight loss, reduced symptoms, etc)

Do you eat dairy at all?
    Do you ever fast?

hiya

i'm not strict, i'm more like 70/30 but i very rarely have grains. so far there has been weight loss and a reduction in symptoms. nothing overly dramatic but it makes me happy, i once went months with little to no appetite and i was still gaining

i don't formally fast, i just eat when hungry and that can sometimes be huors and hours after waking

and i've cut down on dairy, i still have whipping cream and cheese
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
      and i've cut down on dairy, i still have whipping cream and cheese
      do you eat cottage cheese at all?
      I do better without it, but kicking the cottage cheese is going to be hard.

Comment

There are a lot of us.

I've had some weight loss but more importantly reduced torso fat... belly, love handles, back fat, even sideboob lol.

I haven't gone dairy free but I have heard of dairy's unusual effect on insulin... I may try it sometime. I stopped drinking milk a while ago but would drink raw milk if I got my hands on some. I'm not a huge fan of cheese, so it was weird when I got a craving for pepper jack a few weeks ago, but it only lasted for a day or so. I used to *love* string cheese but it just tastes like shit now, and makes me feel a little woozy... I've also felt like that before after eating too much overprocessed cheese and drinking low-fat overprocessed milk in one sitting. I think quality of dairy matters a lot too.

I cook with butter but right now more with ghee. I love yogurt. Full-fat yogurt fermented at home was a regular part of my diet growing up... it's the way to end a meal in my culture. My mother also used to cook with ghee before she thought that we all needed to lose weight, hehe. If I had to give up dairy the only things I would really miss are yogurt and ghee, which is interesting given that those are the dairy forms 'my people' have eaten most throughout history probably, and that I grew up on (well and milk, but it was fresh milk delivered by the milkman every morning). OH and we also drink buttermilk, watered down with some lime or lemon juice, for the digestive benefits, but I wouldn't really miss that haha. It is a great cure for stomach upset though.

I only eat two meals a day because of my work schedule, but the time in between is usually not more than 10 hours so I don't really consider it a fast. I may try IFing in the future once I've settled into primal. I wouldn't recommend doing it until your body is adapted. And probably not during your period... I've noticed that I need more sleep and more food during my period now.

Comment

Originally posted by NDF View Post
          do you eat cottage cheese at all?
          I do better without it, but kicking the cottage cheese is going to be hard.
          sure, not all the time but when the mood strikes. i've been phasing most dairy products out instead of dropping them all at one go, when i want something i'll usually get it and then a few weeks might go by til i want it again
          beautiful
          yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
          lol

Comment

I have PCOS and the only dairy I have is butter and heavy cream or half and half, once in a while I will have cheese. I go through phases with cottage cheese but I haven't had any in 5 weeks or so. I have lost about 15lbs in 5 weeks. My inflammation has gone down since about 3 weeks in. I actually had my first period without the help of meds in months. It has been great being Primal. Lots of benefits for me so far.
            ~*Lori*~
            my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
            my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
            CW 192

Comment

Originally posted by momofredheads View Post
              I have PCOS and the only dairy I have is butter and heavy cream or half and half, once in a while I will have cheese. I go through phases with cottage cheese but I haven't had any in 5 weeks or so. I have lost about 15lbs in 5 weeks. My inflammation has gone down since about 3 weeks in. I actually had my first period without the help of meds in months. It has been great being Primal. Lots of benefits for me so far.
              Wow this is great!

I had heard that anti-inflammatory nutrition plans (like PB) are beneficial for PCOS women who aren't suffering from IR. I don't have IR. My doctor doesn't want to perscribe Metformin -he just keeps shoving BC in my face. No thank you.

Last week I eliminated cottage cheese from my diet by replaced it with Greek Yogurt lol. At least the Greek Yogurt doesn't have additives like the CC did. But still, I'm thinking I should try eliminating dairy from my diet and see if I have any improvements in my PCOS.

Anyway, its great that PB is working well for you.

Comment

Hey! Hearing you had your cycle back is like music to my ears lol! How did you manage it?

My am slim and worried about loosing weight as it will effect me getting my cycle back and dropped the exercise as was exercising far too much!!

Love reading stuff from fellow PCOS'ers

Comment

I don't know how I got my cycle back I was quite surprised because I have read others took months before it happened. So I wasn't expecting much and boom it happened. I took 3 rounds of chlomid over the summer months with no success of pregnancy and prior to the chlomid I had no cycle for over 8 months. I had to take provera before 2 of the rounds of chlomid and the 3rd round the AF came. But I haven't had the Chlomid since July so getting AF in Octoberr was a huge surprise and a relief, lets see if it comes regularly now.
                  ~*Lori*~
                  my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
                  my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
                  CW 192

Comment

I have noticed reduced symptoms, less cramping, not as erratic, not as heavy by far, and the discoloration of skin has been greatly reduced. I'm 3 months in on the PB way of life, and I'm LOVING the results. I decided to go ultra low carb, under 25g per day, partially to boost the results simply for the PCOS, and I haven't felt this great since I was a teenager.

Comment

I have PCOS, but I'm not overweight and I am not insulin resistant. I do have some mild hirsutism on my chin line and when not on BC I have heavy painful periods. I'm 100% gluten-free (I have celiac) and I eat low-ish carb, but not very low carb (I try to stay under 100 g per day). I recently tried cutting back on my dairy and I have to admit, the hirsutism has improved. I was hoping cutting out dairy wouldn't do anything for me so I could keep eating it, but it looks like it does have some effect. *sigh*

Comment

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2003. I was put on metformin. I recently went off while breastfeeding. In this time I found PB and have been primal for 9 months. I've just weaned my son and am re-educating myself of the benefits/risks of metformin. I have come across a lot of studies that show metformin is still beneficial in non IR and non obese women. I was wondering what anyone's experience is? I know I had tummy issues on metformin, but that got better as I eased up on the dairy. I really don't know what my body is going to do yet on the primal way of life. I think I'd be willing to go back on metformin if it would indeed help...even though through PB my fasting blood sugar, cholesterol and weight are improving.
                        Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
                        Current: 155 - size 10/12
                        Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Comment

I'm another sufferer. I am off metformin now - doesn't seem to have any adverse effects. I am still desperately hoping for other symptoms to improve - but its only been 3 months of full on Primal so that might be too soon. My periods - still all over the place but this month no PMS and so far much lighter.

I haveb= been dairy free for 5 weeks - mainly cos I am doing a whole 30 that became a 44 (don't ask - some 85% choc got into my mouth at day 14). Its been even harder to cut than sugar at first - but now its ok. I will reintroduce because I see no changes from not eating it - see if reintroducing makes any difference. If not I plan to have a little cream on berries and a bit of butter sometimes - oh and I got some ghee for cooking to see if the flavour is a nice alternative.

Like you I would LOVE to hear from fellow sufferers about any changes you have had.

I am SO angry that PCOS and insulin etc is such a well known thing (I find now) yet no one I saw about all my "issues" ever, ever suggested cutting carbs to me. My life could have been very different.

Ah well - make it different from NOW I suppose - thats all we can do.

Comment

I was diagnosed back in 2007 with it at 31. I can say mine is clearing up. My doctor considered me a mild case with it. My insulin resistance is slowly but surely going away, the dark skin patches are gone and my bald spot is filling in. I have lost 15 lbs thus far. I still eat dairy, I don't see the point in letting that go. All in all, this was a great move for me.
                            Georgette

Comment

I have been feeling great since going primal. I am hopeful that it will continue. I know the breastfeeding has helped in the hormone department. I still struggled with milk supply like many with PCOS, but I was able to make it to 9.5 months. I'm thinking about getting a full panel of bloodwork done...maybe in a couple months to see how things are with testosterone, LH:FSH.....I guess I just need to see how it goes the next couple months. I haven't had a period while bf.

My blood sugar has been great, my cholesterol ratios are very good now (used to have high trig/low hdl).
                              Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
                              Current: 155 - size 10/12
                              Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X