No announcement yet.

Those weird little bonuses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm never COLD! I've ALWAYS been terribly cold-natured (even when I was heavy), but now I'm usually stripping off layers or turning down the thermostat.
    5'6" 27 y/o female, Primal 6 months and counting.

CW: 160 -- in single-digit dress sizes for the first time in 12 years!

GW: 150 -- for swimsuit season

Comment

• Originally posted by darkersolace View Post
      I'm never COLD! I've ALWAYS been terribly cold-natured (even when I was heavy), but now I'm usually stripping off layers or turning down the thermostat.
      It's funny but I had no issues with being cold all winter, but recently I can't seem to get warm. Change of seasons perhaps?

Comment

• - Depression/Anxiety GONE (well, of course from time to time - but I assume this is normal) I used to have manic outbursts, and would go to see counselors and been in my optimistic, sunny disposition and they would tell me "OH, you're fineeee!" I believed them, then I would have these intense anger/emotional things and be gone for dayssss. I am now my optimistic self 100%.
        - Constant fatigue - gone
        - Ability to think, concentrate, not procrastinate!
        - Shiny hair
        - My nails GROW instead of flaking off
        - My cheekbones show now! I'm half irish/half spanish, and apparently my thick irish cheeks were hiding some spanish cheekbones under there!
        - No more dry/peeling skin on face
        - Healing adrenals & improved thryoid functioning
        - Peacefulness (cheesy, but I had never felt it before!)
        - No more getting colds literally every other weekend
        - No more fevers after eating (MSG, soy, gluten, I realize down the road...)
        - And one of the best - increase attention from the opposite sex!

Comment

• I have recently been diagnosed with sub- acute (possibly chronic) pericarditis (all from a COLD virus!!!). Since going primal here are some changes I have noticed
          - I used to feel like I was having a heart attack getting up to go the bathroom now I can do things like meet my friends for dinner
          - I am off all my prescription meds (not that they did anything in the first place)
          - no farting or constipation ever
          - clearer skin
          - no headaches
          - not feeling like I'm going to pass out when I skip a meal
          - I usually get strep frequently throughout the year.... I haven't had it at all since going primal even though my husband has caught it
          - weight loss even on being on bedrest for 6 months
          - I'm a ex-bulimic and even after recovering I always struggled with the obsession of food. That is gone now!!!! Amazing!

I have also noticed that carbs give me a drug-like high now. Had sushi (the kind made with rice) recently and I get extremely goofy/crazy afterwards (my husband thinks this is hilarious) and then I NEED to sleep.

Comment

• Getting hungry is not a crisis or an emergency, it's just getting hungry.

Mind you, some of the weird little bonuses are really weird little mixed blessings, like faster-growing toenails, bushier eyebrows and a super-acute sense of smell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hilary View Post
              Getting hungry is not a crisis or an emergency, it's just getting hungry.

Mind you, some of the weird little bonuses are really weird little mixed blessings, like faster-growing toenails, bushier eyebrows and a super-acute sense of smell.
              Super-acute sense of smell isn't necessarily a bonus when you work in an office where a couple of women wear too much perfume.

Comment

• QUESTION: I havent seen any mention of female cycles, but I will go re-read. Anyone have less symptoms?[/QUOTE]

I actually just completed my third cycle while Primal. I've noticed my pms (read: irritability and hyper emotional), which would always last about 36 hours, imperceptible now. Much less breast tenderness, yay ! And while quantity and duration has remained the same, the excruciating pain that occurred on day 2 and 4 is completely gone. Now it's just what I would describe as discomfort.

Like I said, this is my 3rd since going primal, and each successive one I see additional improvements/normalization(?). Hoping that with time the duration will shorten =)
                "You can always do more than you think you can !" Sensei Scash

Comment

• I noticed this one also...instead of my mid-morning or mid-afternoon frantic dash to the vending machine (ugh), I think "Huh -- I'm hungry." I might grab a cup of tea or glass of water and go back to work.

Originally posted by Hilary View Post
                  Getting hungry is not a crisis or an emergency, it's just getting hungry.

Comment

• I used to have to eat every few hours and my stomach would very loudly let me know if I was off schedule for feeding it... the other day I went 24 hours with out any food purely because i forgot to eat! it came to about half 9 and I suddenly thought 'Hang on....' XD

Also, I seem to have developed a desire for chasing squirrels and birds. I'm not sure whether this is a bonus or not yet, but my dog seems to enjoy someone joining the chase with her!
                    Bunny trainer extraordinaire!

Comment

• Hi all. I stayed up last night and ready every one of these posts, and I have to say, it got me more excited than I already am. I am 1 week primal, and cannot believe the changes in ONE WEEK. It is truly amazing. Here are my gains:

Lost 5 lbs of bloat -- stomach looking pretty flat for the first time in soooo long.
                      Improved energy
                      Period this time lighter and easier -- I have been having peri-menopause periods for a year now; very heavy, crampy, tired.
                      Calmer, happier
                      More optimistic
                      No gas
                      Weird rash behind ears disappearing
                      Hypoglycemia...GONE

But best of all....

MY GERD IS 90-95% GONE!!!!

For those who have suffered with this, you know how debilitating it can be. I was on meds for 4 months, nexium and prevacid, 2 x daily. I was eating a "clean" macrobiotic diet (rice and beans every meal) and getting worse. I was bloated, gassy, and beyond frustrated with my health. I have felt like s&*t for so long that it had become the norm. At 46 I wonered if I had to accept bad health as my lot in life. I stopped the PPI meds over a week ago and went full on primal. Wow! Twice I woke up in the middle of the night this week, and when I realized that I wasn't in pain and so much better I got so excited that I couldn't go back to sleep. I am so happy about this. So...I am a convert and believer. I got a huge chunk of my life back, along with a good dose of hope. I can't wait to see what changes come next. Here is a new acronym: BAP - Born Again Primal.

I will continue to report the good changes, and look forward to reading everyone elses. Hell, I might be in a bikini by June...
                      Last edited by Marymk; 03-26-2011, 06:32 AM. Reason: forgot something!

Comment

• For the first time ever my period just turned up....without announcing its arrival. I noticed my boobs a little heavy the night before, and thats it! Before PMT was very sore breasts, grouchy, cravings, and just a feeling of something not right.

Comment

• [QUOTE=PixieKitten;387774]I used to have to eat every few hours and my stomach would very loudly let me know if I was off schedule for feeding it... the other day I went 24 hours with out any food purely because i forgot to eat! it came to about half 9 and I suddenly thought 'Hang on....' XD[\quote]I don't get hungry if I'm moving around being active, but I still sometimes have to fight the urge to nibble on something when I'm sitting at my desk. Most of the time I'll just get a cup of coffee or tea and that helps.

Comment

• Ok, I've been primal for a full week now and here are my improvements (mind you this is just in a week!)

-NO heartburn. I went from having damn near constant heartburn to NONE.

-NO gallbladder pain. I went from being in miserable pain every time anything with the slightest bit of animal fat on it was eaten, to eating bacon and steak with NO issues.

-More energy. I'm not quite jumping out of bed in the morning, but I have more energy during the day.

-And perhaps the best one: Lost 6 pounds! I know that I'll lose easily until I hit 200, I always do, and after that it will be fighting tooth and nail for every pound, but I'm happy it was SO easy. I mean, I ate around 2,000 kcals a day. I am used to losing weight by eating under 500. So this is a big improvement.

Crap! I'm An Adult!

My Primal Journal

http://badquaker.com <--- podcast I'm a part of. Check it out if you like anarchy, geekiness and random ramblings.

Comment

• i still think it is wonderfully weird that i rarely toot! seriously i told my husband the other night, "hey babe i only farted once today!" he just cracked up. if i do toot it is because i consumed an entire tray of kale chips. love having no tummy bloat after a meal!!!

Comment

• RE: Question about menstrual periods --

I am now completely symptom-free during the ramp up. No breast swelling or tenderness now (I used to have to hold my breasts in the shower because they were so swollen and hurty just before my period started). Unlike before, there are no physical clues that I'm about to start. I really have to keep an eye on the calendar because I've messed up several pairs of panties because I had started and didn't even know.

Periods are one day shorter (but they were never that long to begin with). I still, though, feel like utter shite on that first full day (i.e., not when I start -- it's the next day) and skip the exercise and housework and pretty much just lay around for one day. The other days I'm good to go.
                                "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Working...
                                X