X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• talking about going primal

Do you tell people about going primal?

What reaction do you get?

Do you think mopst people can overcome their views conventional wisdom?

Anyone told their doctor and what reaction did you get?

I am interested as some people I sepak to "get it" and others are like "thats dangerous" "you'll make yor self ill/fat" etc.

I spoke to one doctor about it and he seemed to think I'm nuts. I told another doctor and he said, it makes sense, try it. Not sure if her truly agreed with me, or if he just didn't want to hear me go on about it anymore.

Comment

I imagine it must be hard for dr's to be contrarian to the message Governments have been pushing.

There was an interesting series here in the UK refcently looking at the impact young peoples behaviour was having on the hospital. One episode was on teenage obesity. One surgeon who was the leading gastric bypass surgeon commented on peoples eating habits that they eat "beige food", and he thought that was the cause of the obesity problems "beige food" - eg sandwiches/biscuits/crisps/chips or all our favourite carbs!

He ate a tin of tuna for his lunch. All the overwight nurses were chomping on crisps and sandwiches.

Comment

Interesting topic, some folks just don't know anything about nutrition and/or eating clean. Many complain and complain about having that extra inch around the waist, but as soon as you approach them with a solution you get the "look" --lol

Comment

What really frightens me is the number of overweight doctors. You'd think if they really knew what they were talking about they would be examples of good health. The only doctor that I have ran into of late that was in good shape was the one that told me to try eating primal if it was working.

Comment

Most people think I'm crazy when I tell them how I eat. Half of my family assumes I'm either starving myself or on a crash diet, all becaues I don't eat grains. "Oh, you don't eat THAT, EITHER!?" Hey, it's their dirty diet, not mine.

Dalvarez, you nailed it. My mother's exactly that way. She complains about her weight but then goes on to eat 3 slices of raisin bread with jam. Drives me crazy.

Jpippenger, I generally don't trust doctors for that exact reason.

Comment

You would think I have an (unfortunate) advantage in that my partnet is coeliac, so there is evidence of carb/gluten = bad . But most people don't seem to make the connection.

I think the freaky thing for most people is that of eating fat, and it being good for you. The low fat diet has been drilled into us for so long by so many people, that the majority of people just can't comprehend it.

Comment

The transition from a high-carb/low-fat diet to primal could be compared to the transition from fundamentalist theism to atheism.

In both cases, "the look" I get tends to result in a patronizing blessing.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
                "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
                "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

When I first started seeing a new doctor about a year ago, I told him my plan for a diet (way pre-primal...hadn't gotten there yet) was to eat protein, veggies, fruits, and healthy fats, stay away from processed junk and limit grains.

His main comment was to tell me I NEEDED some grains in my diet.

Fast forward about 8 months and I didn't do the diet I'd mentioned, in fact, I subsisted on fast food and processed junk for a good portion of my diet. Some stressful things also happened that led to a 20 lb weight loss.

My dr walked into the room praising my lab results and psyched about my weight loss. My HDL had jumped about 10 points and LDL had increased a little but didn't worry him.

All the while I was thinking, "if only you knew that my high fat fast food diet was to thank for those elevated HDL numbers." But I didn't have the nerve to actually say it...wanted to avoid a lecture.

When I get around to seeing the dr again I'm going to shout from the rooftops that my diet is about 60% fat (including sat fats), grain/starch free, and AWESOME.

Comment

[quote]

The transition from a high-carb/low-fat diet to primal could be compared to the transition from fundamentalist theism to atheism.

In both cases, "the look" I get tends to result in a patronizing blessing. </blockquote>

great answer.

Comment

When I was first introduced to MDA and the Primal way of eating, my first reaction was that it seemed "extreme" and "odd". After doing more reading on this site and others, though, it started to make good sense.

When friends/family ask how I've lost so much weight in 5 months (+/-25 pounds) and if I've been working-out, I usually answer that its 80% diet and that I have cut out all grains, all dairy and all processed foods. Most of the time their eyes seem to "glaze over" at that point and the discussion ends.

In my experience, most people I talk to are not interested in learning any more - they seem to think it's some wierd diet fad.

If the discussion ventures into the consumption of saturated "good" fats, then they imply that I'm crazy and will probably become a victim of early heart failure. Obviously the conventional dogma is very well instilled in peoples minds.

For the few individuals that are interested in further discussion, I usually point them to Mark's Daily Apple, so they can do their own research.

Comment

Most people want 'the easy answer' when it comes to losing weight. It doesn't matter what, as long as it doesn't involve commitment and personal responsibility.

Unless specifically asked, I don't really care to bring it up. Most people tend to go with standard anti-low carb statements, which my favorite is 'different things work for different people.' Which, to some extent is true, but not *that* much different. Basic biomechanics are still the same.

While this is going to be an overstatement on my part, I still think that it's generally true. Doctors generally aren't scientists - they're more or less high end auto mechanics. Something breaks, they troubleshoot the problem and try to fix it. Medicine is science-based, but most aren't doing full-fledged research or things like that. Assuming a given doctor keeps up to date on research, I think most are going to hedge their bets. Which, I'm sure a decent part of being a doctor is dealing with people's hypochondria, so this is probably the safest for them to be. You wouldn't probably want your doctor to suggest some surgery that he read about in some magazine that nobody's heard of before. While that's more severe than a diet change - diet changes can be dangerous for some people, too.

Comment

The conversation ALWAYS starts the same way:

THEM: Wow! you've lost some weight, how did you do it?

ME: I switched to eating a hunter/gatherer type of diet... meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, unprocessed dairy. I cut out grains, soy, and processed foods.

Most people do give me "the look"... but in my experience it's because they are taking a mental moment to apply what I said to their lives to see just how "extreme" it is. Then come the questions:

"So... no bread?"

"Uhm... no bagels?"

"No PASTA!?!?!"

"What about rice?"

then finally it adds up: "Why no grains?"

I explain about the insulin rollercoaster and lectins

THEM: How could grains be bad for you, the government [insert futile argument here]"

ME: And you believe everything the government tells you?

Pause for a moment of thought.

THEM: So how do you do it? I can't imagine no sandwiches or macaroni and cheese...

ME: It was hard for the first few days, and I still working on getting rid of them completely. I just do my best as often as I can. It is easier as time passes, and eating is much more enjoyable without having to worry too much about how much or how often I do it.

THEM: But I love [Insert awful-for-you thing here]

ME: I love not having those 40 pounds anymore

My coworkers still think I'm crazy, but not because of the fact that I am doing it or that they think I'm "fad dieting." They think I'm crazy for enjoying unprocessed "health foods." I've found that the word 'primal' usually scares people... so I stick to 'hunter/gatherer'... it feels safer to the sheep.

Comment

it's odd trying to explain to someone that after the first 2-3 weeks, your cravings for many of the carb-rich foods kind of goes away. At least it did for me.

Comment

The reactions I get from people are very different.

My parents for example simply do not wanna believe that grains are bad for you. I could show them tons of studies etc., they just don't believe it. But they've grown accustomed to my new lifestyle and even though it costs a bit more I think my mother is actually quite happy, that I'm eating so much vegetables and stuff from our own garden and that I'm cooking sth every evening - even though she kinda says that you have to eat something unhealthy every now and then....

My friends on the other hand joke about my new lifestyle quite often and I honestly can't blame them. Male people at my age usually don't even TRY to eat healthy and so it really doesn't surprise me that they are a bit irritated by something so "extreme" like the primal lifestyle.

But they also got used to it and it's really not that bad, makes me feel kinda special ;-)

Also one of my friends recently said that I may be "overdoing" the whole fitness stuff a bit, because he was baffled how well my body already has developed. When I told my friends that it was mostly due to my new eating habits, most of them wouldn't believe me, but I really feel like they are understanding it more and more as time goes by.

I got my hair cut yesterday btw and my coiffeuse was a bit worried, because she said I seem to lost quite some weight. This is worrying me a little, because I already was quite thin when I started, but on the other hand, my muscles don't seem to have suffered at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X