Lower sex drive on a low-carb diet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower sex drive on a low-carb diet?

I don't want to go into any detail but ever since I started this diet I don't think about that anymore, there's no urge. In a way it's a relief, but I am worried. I googled it and I found other people who went through the same thing. Anyone experiences this? Is this temporary?

(It also got me thinking: Imagine if the whole world went on a low-carb diet: less rape, less involuntary reproduction, less STD's, etc...)

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

I have found the opposite to be true...

How long have you been going low carb? Some people run into energy problem in the first few weeks...

Comment

so primal diet do increase sex drive after a few months?

I will be normal. I will be NORMAL again
      Yeah!

Comment

Arthur, I have been on a low-carb diet since last Thursday, making it less than a week (I know, I&#39;m still a n00b). Am I only still adjusting to it?

Comment

Yea... you&#39;ll be fine. Give it a good 90 days...

Are you working out as well?

Comment

Maybe you&#39;re preoccupied with the idea. Whenever I spend a couple weeks thinking a lot about something (for example, I really wanted to start playing drums a while ago) I stop thinking about things like sex. If you have only been on the diet for a short while it could be that and once living healthily becomes more second nature it will come back.

Then again I could be completely wrong and it might be the low energy phase a lot of people seem to go through at the start (:

Comment

Also... as you get into better shape... you&#39;ll want to take your new bod for a spin After all, that is really the reason why we all work out and stick to a good nutrition plan... to look good naked... lol

Comment

^ Hahaha, exactly. And yes Arthur I am doing HIIT 5 times a week and body weight training sparingly at home. I don&#39;t have access to a gym yet but classes start in 10 days so I&#39;m going to use my college&#39;s gym. Also, is it true that low-carb diet affects memory? That can&#39;t be good for college

Comment

I&#39;ve noticed my brain function seems sharper...

Comment

the study I read about memory only put subjects on low-carb for 1 week. In that time, I am sure you do have memory problems. But once you get over that first couple weeks, it should be fine.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

You may not be eating enough fat. The body will find, um, alternate ways to conserve energy if you are not taking enough in.

Comment

Wow, okay, I&#39;ll take your word for it. There are so many studies out there saying that the brain can&#39;t function without carbs and yada yada.

PrimalJewishA, I am having around 100 grams of fat per day. Note though, that I am also on a low calorie (1,700) diet to lose weight faster.

Comment

I wanted to post the same thread! But I think James is right, you could be overly preoccupied with other things. Once I set my mind on it, I&#39;m good.

On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

Jess, so you&#39;ve had the same problem? I am a very carefree person at the moment so I don&#39;t know if that applies to me. But it may, and I am not even aware.

Anyways, my memory will surely be put to test when I start taking the japanese class. If there is a notable improvement, I will definitely report on it! I don&#39;t know when my sex drive will be put to test though, haha.

Comment

[quote]

There are so many studies out there saying that the brain can&#39;t function without carbs and yada yada.</blockquote>

Did it not function for the Eskimo? Did it not for many North American Indians?

People in both these groups ate up to 80% of their calories in the form of fat. If their brains weren&#39;t functioning, they couldn&#39;t have got through life. I&#39;m not saying that everyone needs to be eating "macronutrients" in that particular proportion - just that there are populations that have eaten almost no carbohydrate and done just fine. In fact they&#39;ve had generally better health (and - who knows? - possibly better mental functioning, too*) than the average person in our society.

I&#39;d say a laboratory "study" is useless if it&#39;s falsified by real-world facts.

* Always remembering that anyone can only think inside the terms that are current in his own society - unless, perhaps, he&#39;s some kind of rare genius. So while your biochemistry may be optimal, if you haven&#39;t had certain life-experiences, and haven&#39;t been able to learn what others have found, your abilities in certain areas will be underdeveloped.

Comment

Working...
                              X