Attack of the cucumbers!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attack of the cucumbers!

My name is Wendy, and I was too ambitious. I am pulling at least 5 large cucumbers a day from my garden. I need recipes! I've made the salad Mark had posted (added some cold chicken, yum!), I've hollowed them out and filled them with beef, I've made pickles, I've made tuna boats. My boyfriend thinks I'm crazy. He contends that I don't "have" to eat them, but I hate to waste!

What can I do with these suckers?! Should have planted more zucchini instead, they are more versatile!

Cucumber juice!

Throw a cucumber in the blender and top off with water. Blend until cucumber is pulverized. Strain it through cloth. I usually sweeten it with stevia. You can add some mint to the blender also.

I mixed the pulp with egg and some spices, and it made a lovely little cake. If you don't want to use the juice or the pulp right away, you can freeze them both.

Comment

Chop and mix into yogurt to make raita or tzatziki sauce. Goes great with spicy foods; cools the palate.

Comment

Hmmm...I wonder if I can take that cucumber juice idea, throw in some fresh squeezed lemon and make a cucumber jelly? Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Comment

I don't see why not.

Oh, there's always pickles!

Comment

You could do that cucumber/tomato salad with olive oil and vinegas ala flynavywife. That's my new favorite.

Comment

I made the salad on the blog today -- that's worth a repeat. It was good.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

You could give them to family, friends if you run out of stuff to do with them. Call the local homeless shelter and ask if they want some...In case it's truly more than you personally can manage to eat...

Comment

I make my cucumber salad quite often. I chop up a cucumber, a jalapeno, an avocado, some purple onion and a tomato and I add a little sea salt, and it's so good!

Comment

Cucumber and lemon jelly = not something I ever want to put in my mouth again. At least I gave it a shot! I think I am going to try your salad today, Rodger. Thanks!

Comment

My grocery store sells this powder that's made dehydrated and lime juice, salt and dried, powdered chili peppers. Tajin brand. Good on raw, sliced cukes.

Comment

Creamy Chilled Cucumber Soup

(I think it's primal. If not maybe it can be modified.

2 large cucumber(s), 1 peeled and 1 unpeeled

1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

2 1/4 cup(s) plain yogurt

1/4 cup(s) chives, fresh, minced, divided

2 tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped

1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste

1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste

Instructions

Halve cucumbers lengthwise; remove and reserve seeds. Cut flesh into 1/4-inch-thick pieces; set aside.

In a blender, combine cucumber seeds and lemon juice; purée until smooth. Add 2 cups of yogurt and process until blended.

Transfer mixture to a large bowl and stir in reserved cucumber pieces, chives and cilantro; season to taste with salt and pepper.

Ladle soup into bowls and top each with 1 tablespoon of remaining yogurt. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.

Comment

pickle them

Comment

@RogerDeRok - oh my god, just finished that salad, SO GOOD. I thought that it might be lacking in flavor without dressing, but the sea salt brought out the juiciness. I was a little heavy handed with the hot pepper, but man that was yummy.

Comment

I do a lot of stir fry recipes and on accident chopped a cucumber thinking it was a zucchini. Since then I've actually included them on purpose into my stir fry since they add some juice and a different flavor into the mix.

Comment

Working...
                              X