No announcement yet.

It's Squash Season! Recipe Sharing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butttnut squash is great with sage+browned butter. Just fry the sage leaves in the butter, take em out, keep cooking the butter until it's slightly brown, then pour that mess over your cooked butternut squash.

Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook (Sarah Fragoso's second book) has a good recipe for stuffed acorn squash. It's similar to her stuffing recipe if I recall correctly. Mushrooms, dried cranberries, slivered almonds, diced carrot, and ground meat of some kind. Cook all of that, then stuff it inside a squash to finish.

Comment

Just today I used a squash in a 'cleaning out the fridge' moment. A bok choy, 2 celery sticks, a tomato, an onion, some slightly manky kale all got sauteed in some bone broth along with some sausage. The squash was carnival, cut in half and cooked in the oven in a bit of water for perhaps 45 minutes at 375. I've put everything together in a casserole dish and when it's time for supper I'll pop it in the oven to cook. Tastes good, I've tried a bit, heh.
      Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Rats! Winter squash is a bit too high carb for my Diabetes. And this looks so good. Is there some variety of winter squash that is more in the line of summer squash for carbs?

Comment

I've got a kabocha hanging out on the counter that's gonna end up as a better-than-pumpkin Thanksgiving pie for dinner tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by ToddAndMargo View Post
            Rats! Winter squash is a bit too high carb for my Diabetes. And this looks so good. Is there some variety of winter squash that is more in the line of summer squash for carbs?
            Spaghetti squash is very low in carbs (6g/100g). Pumpkin is also pretty low (5g/100g).

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Squash, winter, spaghetti, cooked, boiled, drained, or baked, without salt
            Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Pumpkin, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt

Comment

Originally posted by ToddAndMargo View Post
              Spaghetti squash is very low in carbs (6g/100g). Pumpkin is also pretty low (5g/100g).

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Squash, winter, spaghetti, cooked, boiled, drained, or baked, without salt
              Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Pumpkin, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post

I like delicata pizzas
                Are the white mounds floating down the middle chicken or squash?

Or mushrooms?
                Last edited by gdot; 10-12-2014, 05:07 PM.
                What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Comment

Acorn squash halved and drizzled with a mixture of tamari/honey/grated ginger/garlic

Comment

Also, the butternut squash soup at Cook's Illustrated - Recipes That Work, Kitchen Equipment Reviews, Taste Tests, How to Cook and Cooking Videos is primal and amazing. it has a paywall but you can get a free day pass. Worth it, IMO

Comment

Originally posted by gdot View Post
                      Are the white mounds floating down the middle chicken or squash?

Or mushrooms?
                      Mozzarella!
                      37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
                        Mozzarella!
                        Stellar! I luvz me some fresh mozzarella!
                        What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Comment

I make butternut squash soup.
                          Basically, peel and seed the squash, cube it, and boil it in your favorite broth. I also add onion and bay leaf while boiling.
                          When the squash is somewhere between tender and mushy, drain, remove bay leaf if applicable (reserve drained broth to add back in later or have on its own)
                          Blend the squash (I just use a hand mixer). it will be thick like mashed potatoes. Add cream or half and half until it reaches the consistency you like.

You can use whatever spices you want in this, it seems to work with whatever. I like the salt/pepper/garlic palette, but it would work with the savory pumpkin pie spice blend as well I would imagine.
                          Your goals, minus your doubts, equals your reality.
                          - Ralph Marston

Comment

Working...
                          X