Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All of my paleo pancakes taste like crap.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All of my paleo pancakes taste like crap.

I know a lot of you don't "bake" and just eat the whole foods, etc. But for those of you who do paleo baking with almond flour and coconut flour and all that, what recipe do you use for pancakes? I have tried a bunch of different ones and they all taste dry and odd and just not even worth it. I know they won't taste exactly the same … I'm just looking for a recipe that you have found that you liked. I have tried one with coconut flour and one with just eggs and bananas. Thank you in advanced!

You will like these pancakes
    Pamela's Products Baking & Pancake Mix, 3.5-Ounce Pouch (Pack of 12): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Each packet makes 4 pancakes. 12 packets per box. No wheat & gluten free. DELICIOUS!

Grizz

Comment

Sorry, I had the same result as you. We never managed to get good non-wheat baking going in our house.

(we do still have egg and banana muffins though, as a vestigial pancake breakfast)
      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

This one has gelatin in it, so I tried it. I thought it turned out pretty well, and I'll use it again when I have an urge for pancakes. I did have to add more coconut flour than the recipe called for, to make the batter feel like the right consistency.

Coconut Flour Pancakes... with Gelatin! - Empowered Sustenance

Edited to add this: The pictures on the site show some orange stuff on top of the pancakes, which looks like grated orange zest (it doesn't say what it is). Anyway, I grated some orange zest on top of my pancakes and wow what a nifty kick. Definitely worth doing.
        Last edited by Giblets; 01-07-2014, 06:28 PM.
        I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it.
        Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/09/p...-pancakes.html

These are my favourite.

Comment

Originally posted by lotusberries View Post
            Awesome - I was just going to suggest plantains...I'm a touch obsessed with them the last few weeks

Comment

Originally posted by lemontwisst View Post
              Awesome - I was just going to suggest plantains...I'm a touch obsessed with them the last few weeks
              I am too. I've hated pretty much every recipe using replacement flours, and loved every recipe that uses plantains.

Comment

This is the place, Gluten-Free Recipes, where I found a wonderful and very easy flour mix to make myself.

I haven't used it for the pancakes but I've made the cream scones for my daughter and they were VERY tender and tasty.
                Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

I haven't liked any of the paleo pancakes I've tried, but I have been happy with the GF crepes I've made. I substitute half tapioca and half rice flour and they come out fine.
                  Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Mash eggs and bananas 1 to 1, fry in pan. Adjust ratio to change consistency.
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

2 eggs - 1 ripe banana - some vanilla - half a teaspoon of baking soda- lots of butter or coconut oil. it takes some time to fry them ( they need low heat) but they are worth it
                      I never had any success with no wheat flours.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Comment

Originally posted by primalgirl88 View Post
                        I know a lot of you don't "bake" and just eat the whole foods, etc. But for those of you who do paleo baking with almond flour and coconut flour and all that, what recipe do you use for pancakes? I have tried a bunch of different ones and they all taste dry and odd and just not even worth it. I know they won't taste exactly the same … I'm just looking for a recipe that you have found that you liked. I have tried one with coconut flour and one with just eggs and bananas. Thank you in advanced!
                        Hello, as a French I can tell you this: using coconut or almond flour for pancakes is irrelevant. You need a fair amount of starch, protein and a little fat to bind the whole thing into a good pancake. But wait, I am referring to crêpes, not pancakes. Those are thinner. Depending on what you want (salted or sweetened), the one flour I would recommend is buckwheat flour. You also can blend in gluten-free mixes (rice / potato / tapioca starch flour, as long as you get organic stuff). Buckwheat is best for salty crepes. Here is my quick recipe:

- 150g of flour (buckwheat and mix, proportion up to you: more buckwheat if salty crepes / wraps)
                        - 3 large eggs
                        - 3 cups of liquid (usually milk, or mix water and milk)
                        - some salt / flavor of your choice (I like herbal salt, paprika and onion powder in my salty wraps)
                        - optional: add a bit of melted butter or say bacon / tallow fat to the dough

I think the good proportion is : 1 cup of liquid for 1 large egg for 50g of starch flour

Mix well until very smooth, let it sit at room temp for at least 30mn with a towel covering the bowl of dough.
                        Warm up a crepe pan, add a little fat that can take a rather high heat (ghee, CO) and make crepes as usual. There is very little room for mistake with this simple recipe

Comment

Read the title in a south african accent, and they'll taste like 'crepe' instead!

Comment

Originally posted by FrenchFry View Post
                            Hello, as a French I can tell you this: using coconut or almond flour for pancakes is irrelevant. You need a fair amount of starch, protein and a little fat to bind the whole thing into a good pancake. But wait, I am referring to crêpes, not pancakes. Those are thinner. Depending on what you want (salted or sweetened), the one flour I would recommend is buckwheat flour. You also can blend in gluten-free mixes (rice / potato / tapioca starch flour, as long as you get organic stuff). Buckwheat is best for salty crepes. Here is my quick recipe:

- 150g of flour (buckwheat and mix, proportion up to you: more buckwheat if salty crepes / wraps)
                            - 3 large eggs
                            - 3 cups of liquid (usually milk, or mix water and milk)
                            - some salt / flavor of your choice (I like herbal salt, paprika and onion powder in my salty wraps)
                            - optional: add a bit of melted butter or say bacon / tallow fat to the dough

I think the good proportion is : 1 cup of liquid for 1 large egg for 50g of starch flour

Mix well until very smooth, let it sit at room temp for at least 30mn with a towel covering the bowl of dough.
                            Warm up a crepe pan, add a little fat that can take a rather high heat (ghee, CO) and make crepes as usual. There is very little room for mistake with this simple recipe
                            Sounds yum. Whats the go with buckwheat? Is it gluten free?

Comment

Originally posted by earthlymumma View Post
                              Sounds yum. Whats the go with buckwheat? Is it gluten free?
                              Sure, it has nothing to do with wheat at all. Buckwheat is a pseudo-grain, seed of a plant in the rhubarb family (if I remember correctly). it has quite a few health benefits, including the now famous resistant starches
                              The "galettes bretonnes" are famous: buckwheat flour (farine de sarrasin or so-called "blé noir" in French, meaning black wheat - aren't we poets in France!), water and salt. Cooked in butter, and finished with ham, an egg and emmental cheese. You eat that with some apple cider to wash it down yummmmy!

Comment

Working...
                              X