Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All of my paleo pancakes taste like crap.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine winning recipe is ~ 1.5 c of slow-baked sweet potato (or some part of it subbed for uncooked ripe banana), 5 eggs, spices and 1/4 cup of tapioca starch or rice flour, whatever I have in the pantry. Zoop potato/banana with eggs and spices with a hand blender, mix the starch with a whisk, let rest for a few minutes. Fry on a relatively warm electric pan (between 325 and 350) in butter, slowly. If the pancake runs after flip, re-flip.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Sure, it has nothing to do with wheat at all. Buckwheat is a pseudo-grain, seed of a plant in the rhubarb family (if I remember correctly). it has quite a few health benefits, including the now famous resistant starches
      Buckwheat does have gluten, but not the same as wheat gluten. It can be allergenic in its own right for some people (what isn't?). That's said, buckwheat is my favorite pseudo-grain, and when I chose to eat grains, I normally chose it because it's yummy or millet. I have never used the flour though, as it is normal to make it as hot cereal, savory or sweet in my cultural background. My fav buckwheat is buckwheat with mushrooms and onions.
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

1/2 banana mashed with one egg yolk, whip the whites and combine gently with spatula or soon, a little cinnamon, a little nutmeg, blueberries. Top with grass fed butter and REAL maple syrup (optional). Amazingly delicious and easy

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

This is my absolute favorite recipe, and I won't use any other. So easy! I usually fry mine in some Kerrygold butter and they come out perfect. They take a little longer to cook, but I crave them on the weekends. Paleo Spirit: Coconut Flour Paleo Pancakes

Comment

Yeah, we love the banana and egg combination (1/2 ripe banana per egg), sometimes mixing in some cinnamon and vanilla. We refer to them as crepes now as well.

They're especially kid friendly - spread some almond butter on top with either a bit of honey or homemade jam, fold in half, and kids eat them as a sandwich. They eat em like they're going out of style.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
              Mash eggs and bananas 1 to 1, fry in pan. Adjust ratio to change consistency.
              This is by far the best way. Soooo much better then any other paleo pancake.

Comment

I used this recipe the other day and they turned out really nicely. Shredded some apple into the batter instead of using honey. These taste the most like traditional pancakes of all the recipes I have found.

Silver Dollar Pancakes | Gluten Free Pancake Recipe - Elana's Pantry

Comment

QUOTE=primalgirl88;1395954]I know a lot of you don't "bake" and just eat the whole foods, etc. But for those of you who do paleo baking with almond flour and coconut flour and all that, what recipe do you use for pancakes? I have tried a bunch of different ones and they all taste dry and odd and just not even worth it. I know they won't taste exactly the same I'm just looking for a recipe that you have found that you liked. I have tried one with coconut flour and one with just eggs and bananas. Thank you in advanced! [/QUOTE]

I came up with a recipe that started from Rivvin's microwave "bread" from this post:

www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread23434.html

My pancake recipe:

1/3 cup vanilla protein powder (adjust for desired batter consistency)
                  2 T fat (coconut oil or butter)
                  1 egg
                  1tsp baking powder
                  1T maple syrup

Mix and cook like regular pancakes.

Comment

Thank you all for all the great ideas!! I will have to retry the banana/egg combination. If that doesn't work maybe I will just give up and do sausage and eggs instead. :P

Comment

I do one ripe banana, one egg, and one tablespoon of almond butter (not salted) per person. I fry them in coconut oil on low heat. I've added cinnamon, blueberries, butter, and a drizzle of real maple syrup (not all of these things at once, but you could). My whole family LOVES them! We had them for breakfast this morning
                      I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

SW: 212.4 lbs. February 14, 2013 (My second baby was born)
                      CW:166.4 lbs.
                      GW: 143 lbs.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Get back to 80-90% Primal and back down to my lowest recent weight of 158 lbs. while doing as much moving and strength training as I can get in.

Comment

Mix a can of pumpkin, a few eggs, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spices. Cook in a mix of grass fed butter and coconut oil, top with butter and maple syrup.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Pancakes aren't ever the same when you make them paleo... Agree?
                          My interesting paleo weight loss blog

Comment

The Paleo Spirit pancakes mentioned above are the closest I've ever had to "normal", though I actually prefer them. To be perfectly honest, if I ever completely quit with this Primal way of eating I would still eat these pancakes. They're so much better than plain old flour ones. Try them out.

Comment

I actually made these awesome cookies that could probably be made into pancakes as well: Gluten-Free: Not You Too Santa! - GiGi Eats Celebrities

In fact, I really want to make them into pancakes because they are so good! Over the holidays I made them 3 days in a row! Even the pickiest, most unhealthy eater in the house LOVED THEM and requested them the following day!!

Comment

Originally posted by GiGiEats View Post
                                I actually made these awesome cookies that could probably be made into pancakes as well: Gluten-Free: Not You Too Santa! - GiGi Eats Celebrities

In fact, I really want to make them into pancakes because they are so good! Over the holidays I made them 3 days in a row! Even the pickiest, most unhealthy eater in the house LOVED THEM and requested them the following day!!
                                I bet with a little experimenting that would work out nicely I would sub chia seeds for the flax though. Too many phytoestrogens in flax.
                                www.feedtheclan.com

Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

Comment

Working...
                                X