No announcement yet.

Pizza

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grated zucchini + 1 egg + potato starch works well, but it definitely isn't real pizza. I like it for what it is, though.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

When I want pizza with a crust (because usually I just throw pizza sauce, cheese, and toppings into a bowl and eat it like that) I use these two recipes. The first is made with green plantains. When I use it for pizza I just make sure I bake it thin. Passionate Paleo: Plantain Bread !

The second is made with cheese and arrowroot flour. When making this one for pizza I double the amount of arrowroot and it makes it a bit more stiff so it can be picked up easier. Flourless Cheesy Bread Recipe | The Nourished Life

Comment

This may be a viable option for non-celiacs if you're willing to maintain your own sourdough starter and make your crust at least a day ahead of time to ferment:

Arrowhead Mills Organic Sprouted Wheat Flour, 28 Ounce Bag (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

This will actually produce REAL pizza crust, something that no other recipe will do well. Obviously, it ain't perfect, but you can make a traditional pizza be as healthful as possible.
        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Here's what I've been doing lately for pizza. I developed it based on the cracker recipe from primal cravings.
          1 cup tapioca flour
          1/4 potato starch
          1/4 cup potato flour or instant mashed potato (dehydrated potato only)
          1 egg
          1/4 cup olive oil
          1/3 cup water

Preheat oven to 400.
          Combine all dry ingredients and wet ingredients in two separate bowls.
          Pour wet ingredients into dry stirring until mixed, then knead a few times.
          On a sheet of parchment paper, lay out the dough and flatten with a rolling pin. If the dough is too wet or sticky, or if a very thin crust is desired, I cover the dough with plastic wrap during this step.
          Bake the pizza on the parchment paper directly on the oven rack for about 6 min.
          Remove pizza, put toppings, bake another 6 min.

This recipe manages to avoid nut flours but probably isn't ideal because of the added olive oil. But it tastes great!

Comment

Tara Grant's recipe makes terrific pizza crust. I have only made the paleo version and it works great. I have served it to non-primal folk and they didn't even know it did not contain grains.

tara grant | www.primalgirl.com

It is well worth the $4. And no, I don't get a kickback or have any connection whatsoever.
            My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I've made a spinach crust pizza. I'm pretty sure I got the recipe here on the forums, so I apologize if it's your recipe (I just don't remember who originally posted it).

You will need:
              -2 cups finely chopped fresh spinach (frozen is too liquidy for this to work)
              -1 cup grated parmesan cheese
              -1 egg

-Optional: pinches of Basil, oregano, and/or other 'Italian spices.'

-Silicon non-stick baking mat, this is very important because this crust will STICK to anything solid and you will not be able to eat your pizza without destroying it first (I had a few iterations of 'pizza bowls' when I first started making this).

Process:

-In a bowl, beat the egg until whites and yolk are fully mixed.
              -Add cheese and spinach and mash it all up into a goopy goo. It will be a liquid consistency.
              -Place the silicon baking mat on a baking pan, and pour the mixture onto the mat.
              -It will look like a puddle. Use a spatula to shape. Make sure it isn't thin; no less than 1/8-inch thin. Push it around and make sure there's no gaps of just egg (make sure cheese and spinach is consistent).
              -Place in oven at 400F for 15 minutes to prebake the crust.
              -Remove from oven, it should be fully cooked (no liquid).
              -Add toppings, and place back in the oven for 5 more minutes at 400F, or until cheese looks melted.

This is the only crust I have made that doesn't have an offensive taste. I know people have made it out of cauliflower in a similar method, but when I made the cauli crust I thought it tasted like a sponge. So I scraped the toppings off and just ate the toppings, leaving the cauliflower.
              Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
              Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
              Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
              F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

Working...
              X