Essential Primal Cooking Items

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essential Primal Cooking Items

My only utensils are a mundane set of pots, of which I usually only use the frying pan and a small electric oven.

Any other useful things I should get?

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

What is this pot you speak of?

Need Stick. Need Fire. Need Meat. Ugh.

Comment

I just seem to use the barbecue and a pair of tongs to cook most things these days.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
      • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
      • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

I use my tongs a lot.... and good knives.

A whisk for making sauces and dressings... a spatula, a spoon.

A salad spinner for washing greens and veggies...

I could go on and on. I love kitchen "thingies."

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

A dutch oven (or a slow cooker, if you swing that way) for destroying the tough, nutritious cuts of meat like chuck, brisket, and shoulder and turning them into soft, pullable delights. Or a smoker, if you prefer.

I got a super low sided 12" nonstick skillet (would make a good crepe pan if I ate crepes), and I use that thing almost every day along with a silicone spoon, silicone spatula (depending on if we're doing scrambled or over easy), and a pair of tongs for deploying and turning the bacon. Works great for eggs.

Comment

Mortar and pestle - I love the feeling of pounding spices or nuts and it is good for all that pent up anger

Comment

Non-stick pots/pans, grill, microwave-convection oven, salad spinner & blender for smoothies. Oh, and a hand mixer to whip heavy cream--berries & cream for dessert rule!

Comment

Well-seasoned cast iron skillet - we use it 3x a day, for ALL of our cooking!

Comment

i think grok would choose cast iron over teflon.

Comment

I have a low sided cast iron skillet too, works great for eggs and bacon! I used to make pancakes in it too, but that's beside the point Other than that, I got a FABULOUS new contraption called a Romertopf (with a little german .. over the first or second o, can't remember). It's a terra cotta baker, it's sort of like a slow cooker but much faster, and it makes the best roasts. You put the meat in, whatever else you want around it like veggies, if anything, and put it in a cold oven (no pre-heating!) and turn it on to 400 degrees for an hour to an hour and a half for most things. The whole chickens I've roasted in there have been the best I've ever tasted. Somehow the terra cotta acts like a brick oven of sorts, but also keeps all the steam and juices within the cooker so it is basically self-basting. Best $35 I've ever spent.

Otherwise...stainless steel cookware (no more non-stick), spatulas, tongs, a grill, garlic press, cutting boards, and good knives. Although I could stand in William-Sonoma and play with all their gadgets for hours.

You are what you eat,
                    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

For me the list is small. BBQ grill, tongs (SS ones for the grill and wooden ones for inside. I really like the wooden ones!. I lost my nice SS ones, anyone seen them?), cast iron skillet, spatula, SS pot for soupier things, 1 chef knife, 1 pairing knife, cutting board. That's about the all the items that get daily use.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

Let's see...

Cast iron pans, various sizes.

Tongs.

Blender.

Strainer.

Cheesecloth.

Spatula.

Wooden spoons.

Food processor.

Knives of various sizes.