Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ways to eat spinach

without involving dairy!

I want to try and eliminate as much dairy as I can from my diet. Right now I enjoy consuming spinach in 2 ways. My favorite is to sauté a bunch in butter and then add a little shredded cheese and sometimes an egg. Obviously I need to cut the butter and the cheese, so that's not going to work. I also like to eat it raw with my own homemade ranch dressing (sour cream, heavy cream, and dill spice). That's obviously out as well.

So, what else can I do with spinach that might taste good to me? I really don't care much for vinegar or olive oil based dressings, but maybe if you have a really good one I could give it a shot.

Use duck fat, beef tallow or bacon grease.

Comment

I make spinach smoothies in my nutri bullet. A handful of raw spinach, a carrot, a scoop of primal fuel, some ground flax seed, and coconut milk, water, and sometimes a little ripe fruit (kiwi, banana or peach) it's delicious!

Comment

Clarify your butter and that makes it not-dairy...then saute your spinach in it. I do this several times a week for breakfast, to go with my eggs.

Comment

When my not primal wife makes spaghetti for the family, I put the meat and sauce over raw baby spinach instead of pasta.

Comment

I like spinach with sardines or avocado. I also make shakes from canned tuna, egg whites, celery and spinach or gazpacho style smoothies with cucs, celery, spinach and tomato paste or avocado.
            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Heat it up with lots of fat of your choice (I like it with coconut) , garlic and/or onions, salt and pepper.
              The spices found in real curry (coriander and mustard seeds, cumin turmeric) also work well with spinach.
              What to do: Eat real food, enjoy your food, get out into the sun as often as possible, move around, sleep well and early (like before 11 p.m.), have health as your main goal.

You are probably going to fail if you: Restrict carbs or fat or calories, avoid fruit (because sugar derp), punish yourself with diet/exercise, have weight loss as your only goal,....

Comment

Originally posted by Nillos View Post
                Heat it up with lots of fat of your choice (I like it with coconut) , garlic and/or onions, salt and pepper.
                The spices found in real curry (coriander and mustard seeds, cumin turmeric) also work well with spinach.
                Oh, this sounds the best to me so far!!

Also, I never realized I could clarify butter! I just watched a video, and it's not hard at all. Thank you so much for that suggestion. :-)

Comment

Okay, so I just sautéd some spinach (about 2 cups) in coconut oil (about a tablespoon) and added in a bit of garlic and some onion. Then I put that on top of a small amount of rice noodles. It was fabulous!!! I can also see where adding in a bit or meat - really any beef or pork - would taste great too. YUM!

Comment

I love making a ground beef saute with onions, garlic, fire roasted tomatoes, salt and pepper. Then I top a bunch of raw spinach in a bowl. It perfectly wilts the spinach.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Warm salad: saute spinach, garlic, and tomato in olive oil. I like grated Parmesan on top, but if you're avoiding dairy, skip it.

In Green Eggs and Ham. Blend up some eggs and spinach like you would for scrambled eggs. For pan frying, cook up some ham, then pour the eggs and spinach over the ham and cook. For baking, pour the scrambled eggs and spinach into muffin tins. Top with chunks or slices of ham.

I use a lot of frozen spinach because it's so versatile, but for my warm salad, I use fresh.
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Try putting it in smoothies and juices; it doesn't affect the taste, just the colour. And whenever you have a salad, just throw in a handful of it and mix it in. You'll never even notice it.

T.

Comment

I sautéed spinach in olive oil with seared pancetta, garlic, salt, and a squeeze of lemon.

I've also made a similar salad with cold spinach (or kale) "massaged" in olive oil, with walnuts, apricots, pancetta, mandarin orange juice squeezed on top. I add Gorgonzola to mine, but you could obviously eliminate that.

In an omelette with sliced Romas or pico sounds pretty tasty too.

Comment

Joe's Special , a dish of ground beef, onions, spinach and scrambled eggs, optionally mushrooms. A San Francisco tradition!

Comment

Originally posted by eats.meats.west View Post
                              Joe's Special , a dish of ground beef, onions, spinach and scrambled eggs, optionally mushrooms. A San Francisco tradition!
                              That is so awesome - I can't believe I've been forgetting it. I defrosted two burgers today that I didn't eat. A Joe's special is in my tomorrow.
                              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                              X